Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
Actually, the game is copyright 1980, ot 1986 as shown in the header. Roman and I pulled out this old Games Workshop title he acquired on eBay for a first test. We flipped, and I ended up as the 'good' guys, and he the 'bad' guys. The basic play is pretty simple: replacements, move/explore, combat. What is tricky for the first game is that there are several actions (esp. for the 'good' player) that require the main character ('Hero'- I didn't name them, I just played the game) to do something in a required series of events in order to obtain some special power. It was tough to remember what all one needed to do, and also a little tough to be aware of all the opponents powers/abilities, and goals. Anyway, the game started with the forces of 'evil' cascading en masse out of the dark lands and forests, and swamps, much to the 'good' players chagrin. Early victories by the 'goods' were dampened by really thwarting losses in the forests. Unfortunately for 'eveil', the second exploration hex in the mountains resulted in the discovery of a 'good' magician that immediately used a spell to 'freeze' the unit responsible for exploration, slowing 'evils' progress. But their true undoing was uncovering the hapless pixies. The pixies, obviously to be used as cannon fodder, but to slow the 'eveil' advance, turned tiger and wiped out the invading forest orcs with 3 2d6 rolls >10 in a row. This obviously demoralized the 'evils', as they were unable to open a path into the 'good' kingdom, and fell to the desperate last rush by Hero and sorcerer to silence the Bell of the enemy, and thwart his plans of takeover.
We enjoyed the game, but its one you will not want to play too often, because it looks like several strategies will repeat themselves during play, and it is better to forget them between games. I give the game somewhere between a 5 and 6. Fun, not too long (we played in about 3 hrs, but 2 hrs would be pretty easy now we know the game better), got to roll some dice, but replay may suffer a bit. Several elements suggest the designer has been playing Divine Right, a game of the same era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an odd game insofar as it had to be designed to reflect a short story (included with the game), that in turn was based on a set of miniatures! Hence the complication.

Sometime I'll post an article I wrote for White Dwarf about its genesis.

Never played Divine Right, by the way, never heard of it as far as I can recall.

Lew Pulsipher (designer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.