Subject: My Impressions: Legendary Villains rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I own the original Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game and all the expansions and it's one of my Top 10 games of all time, I really like it, so I was expecting to buy this one, but Mr.Gambler bought it first...

Still I wanted to see what changes were made to the game other than the theme to know if it would be worth to consider getting this also...

The player mat is a great addition to the game, it will certainly last longer than the board...

The "new" things I have to say are excellent, I really liked the new Player Interaction and the way you can mess with the other player plans... I got screwed several times be it by Diogo and João or by the Demolish powers of the heroes...

It looked to me that this game is harder to fight the Heroes, they have many fighting effects to make it harder to be able to fight them, be it different cost cards in hand, different colors in hand or certain amount of recruit power to take the Initiative... it was hard and I thought we were going to get slaughtered...

I also liked the integration of the "New Recruits" it's not a super-awesome card but for the 2 cost it's a great purchase when there's nothing else to gran in the Lair

This was the set up:

Plot:
Crown Thor King of Asgard

The forces of Good
Commander: Odin
Asgardian Warriors
Defenders
Avengers
Uncanny Avengers

The Villains:
Enchantress
Loki
Magneto
Kraven
Dr.Octopus

We were getting beaten up badly at the start of the game, but we managed to hold on, but just hold on... we weren't able to attack Odin a single time!! When I was getting ready to do it, Hulk overrun and then he demolished twice and wouldn't you know it, he just took out the first time I had my 8 cost Kraven in hand and then the 5 cost Octopus that gives 2 attack and draws another card... just in those two cards it was 7 damage that Hulk took away... I screamed very loud: "SON OF A..." you can fill in the rest!

Still, We prevented the Plot from happening but we couldn't defeat Odin... it was a Draw between good and Evil

Score:
Me - 27
Diogo Figueiredo - 24
Mr.Gambler - 18
---------

So, after just one play... what do I think of it?
It's another AWESOME Game!!

If you own the Original game is it worth getting this one?
YES... playing the Villains is great but the new things added to the game make it worth while...

Is it Better than the original?
I can't say at this point... have to play a few more times, but it seems to be... but like I said, have to play it a few more times!

Rating: 9.2
(the same as the original game... but both are likely to change after more plays of Villains)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
For a review, it needs to describe the game more. You give a short description of what you did from an insider point of view, which will be cofusing for people who don't own Legendary.

It'S also hard to tell what new stuff was aded besides new recruits from reading your description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you Dan, that's why I called it "My Impressions" and not "My Review"

It's in the review sub-forum because I think it fits better here than in any other sub-forum...

Thanks for the input

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I agree with most of what you say.

It's definitely tougher. One of the folks who's played basic Legendary with me and thought it's a little tricky would be easily overwhelmed. And of course, Dodge, the X Treme Attack and Evasion (Elusive? You can't fight it without making a set amount of Recruit first) have no comparable rules from basic Marvel Legendary. Most of the Commanders are far tougher than the basic game's Masterminds, as well. Professor X is one of the easier bosses, but he'd be among the toughest Masterminds if he suddenly got transported to the basic game's Masterminds set.

You can screw with other players more, too. Magneto is all about hosing your opponent, and everyone can only KO one Bindings and transfer others to a victim player when "Healing."

The game is a solid purchase if you liked basic Marvel Legendary, especially if you wanted it more complicated or trickier. My biggest complaints are 1) I dislike about a third of the art (most of Loki and Sabertooth) and 2) Spiderman's attack power is ridiculously low (why is he in theory easier to beat than a group of Cops?).

I'd rate it at slightly worse than Standard Marvel Legendary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input Erik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.