Popular Tags: [View All]
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing CF for quite a while, and somehow I completely misunderstood the rules.

Play is the same, however, cards in your hand are scored at the end only if you have that same color already down in a meld. That is, the 3 and 8 of "Purple" are worth 11 points combined, only if you have a purple as part of a meld down. Both the 3 and the 8 are worth points, however, not just the 8.

If you have two 9's in your hand at the end of the game, and they're of a color that you don't have represented in a meld, then they're worthless.

Melds score as usual, 10 points.

Yes, it's a bit harder to explain, but I find it more fun. You find yourself making some tough decisions: I've got the 5 and 9 of Grey in my hand, but no Greys down. I've got two other 5's, should I make a meld of 5's to make sure I can score those points? Or, do I wait, hoping to meld some lower valued cards to pick up the colors I need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tejas Mistry
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
I enjoy Circus Flohcati and will be curious to try this out.

Of course it kills the strategy (that I've tried a few times) of collecting just enough cards to get one of each color and call a 'Gala' and end the game before others have had a chance to lay down much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8s and 9s? Never mind the rules, are you sure you are even using the right cards?

(The Flohcati cards in my deck are numbered 0 to 7).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johan wrote:
8s and 9s? Never mind the rules, are you sure you are even using the right cards?

(The Flohcati cards in my deck are numbered 0 to 7).

What... you mean I wasn't supposed to get out a Sharpy and change the numbers around? Humph, another rule I got wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tejasm wrote:
I enjoy Circus Flohcati and will be curious to try this out.

Of course it kills the strategy (that I've tried a few times) of collecting just enough cards to get one of each color and call a 'Gala' and end the game before others have had a chance to lay down much.

Good point, but I wouldn't say that it "killed" it, perhaps just neuters it a bit. It just means you wouldn't do a "gala" until you had some cards down. If you can end the game "prematurely", you may just catch your opponent trying to stockpile those 8s & 9s 6s & 7s waiting to get a color down in a meld.

But, I get your point. It greatly changes the effectiveness of a gala.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:
Play is the same, however, cards in your hand are scored at the end only if you have that same color already down in a meld. That is, the 3 and 8 of "Purple" are worth 11 points combined, only if you have a purple as part of a meld down. Both the 3 and the 8 are worth points, however, not just the 8.

If you have two 9's in your hand at the end of the game, and they're of a color that you don't have represented in a meld, then they're worthless.

If I may add to what you've suggested, to count two purple cards at the end one has to have two purple cards laid down in melds.

And maybe cards left in hand should have a penalty like -1 per card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.