GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Guille RD
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dear DiceMasters,

I have a dobout with the human torch hability and the timing with the used/unused energies...

During my play last day, After rolling the dices we have two human torch dices: 1 of them as human Torch character and the other with double bolt energy icon, Spiderman (field cost: 1) and rest of dices was energy of diferent types.

To use the hability of the human torch... my collegue used the dice of double bolt energy to pay the field cost of Spiderman, expending the dice of human torch. After dice we take another generic enrgy dice to pay the cost of field also human torch using by this way his ability of re-roll human torch dice placed in the "used dices" pile.

It is ok played?

I am not sure if...
- you can over-speed unsued energy to spend a specific dice.
- If you only use a half energy of a double energy dice, when is consider this dice as used and moved to used pile?

Thanks for your answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he overspent his energy that is his choice. As long as he payed the cost to field Human Torch with a different dice, he can then roll his used Human Torch.
I would say he did it inefficiently but ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dennison
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
If he overspent his energy that is his choice. As long as he payed the cost to field Human Torch with a different dice, he can then roll his used Human Torch.
I would say he did it inefficiently but ok.

I don't think you can overspend energy. Nowhere in the rules does it allow for you to do so, so I believe he would nto be able to roll the used Human Torch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you use the double energy side of a character, but only need 1 energy, the rules say to spin the die down to the single energy face. So, you opponent could not have done what he did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Favazza
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Basically, what we are asking is - can I send a die to the used pile without actually spending the energy on anything (because I want to use it from there before the next clear step)?

I feel like you should be able to do that. Just discard energy you don't want to use. But I don't think it says you can in the rules.

If there was a bolt global you could just use that to spend the excess energy and get the die to the used pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallen McInerney
Australia
Kingscliff
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jabah wrote:

I feel like you should be able to do that. Just discard energy you don't want to use. But I don't think it says you can in the rules.

Rules state to leave unused energy in the reserve pool. So it's as Curt outlined above. The human torch die never makes it to the used pile.

After you have finished purchasing all the dice you want, leave any unused energy dice in your reserve pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...

Can you spend energy on something that it's not valid to use at that point?

So, if there had been a single bolt force attack global out, could he have utilised that, even though the opponents characters couldn't attack at that point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Hmm...

So, if there had been a single bolt force attack global out, could he have utilised that, even though the opponents characters couldn't attack at that point?

Well, he could play that on his own character...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Hmm...

Well, he could play that on his own character...

True.

(I was thinking they were worded 'target opposing character...' (but they're not))

However, what about the general principle, can one spend energy on a global that fizzles due to having no legal target?

(though with a quick look through the cards I have I see none that have single bolt globals that one couldn't use on one's own characters)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal is opinion is that you need a valid target, but that the ability doesn't need to be able to resolve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ does mention that "must attack" abilities can be used after attackers have already been assigned, it just won't do anything. By extension, I think this shows that you don't need to concern yourself with whether or not an ability's effect will work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree. Can use energy on a global as long as there is a valid target for said global, but the resulting effect doesn't have to fully resolve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad, that is why I stay on the forums thx

If he was able, he could of spent one bolt on a global to spend the dice completely then carry on with his turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.