fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
http://theweek.com/article/index/267445/speedreads-rand-paul...

The Week wrote:
Rand Paul: As president I would 'destroy ISIS militarily'

Last week, Kentucky senator and 2016 presidential hopeful Rand Paul wrote an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal slating the policies of so-called "interventionists" such as Hillary Clinton, arguing that their policies in Syria against the Assad government have "abetted ISIS". In that piece Paul outlined his support for a far more cautious and significantly less interventionist foreign policy:

A more realistic foreign policy would recognize that there are evil people and tyrannical regimes in this world, but also that America cannot police or solve every problem across the globe. [The Wall Street Journal]

So you'd expect Rand Paul to follow his own advice, right?

Nope. On Friday, Paul told The Associated Press in an email that he was very, very much in favor of military force when it came to ISIS:

If I were president, I would call a joint session of Congress. I would lay out the reasoning of why ISIS is a threat to our national security and seek congressional authorization to destroy ISIS militarily. [AP]

That goes far and away beyond Obama's limited interventions against ISIS, which have so far amounted to humanitarian aid for those displaced by ISIS' advances, as well as limited air strikes and other support for Kurdish and Iraqi government fighters on the ground.

Paul's father, the outspoken non-interventionist former presidential candidate Ron, remains steadfastly against military intervention of any kind, arguing: "I think the sooner we get out of there, the better. I think the policy we should follow is one designed to allow the Iraqis to solve all their problems and stay out of this and let them deal with it because we tried for a long time."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
To the surprise of no one. He's seen daddy fail time and time again running on the true believer platform. Unlike his dad, he's going to put winning ahead of idealism, and winning means getting in bed with the mainstream GOP voter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Libertarian ≠ Pacifist.

Libertarian ≠ Isolationist.

Libertarian = I dunno...I guess whatever Obama's not doing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
A libertarian that is not an isolationist is one that believes everyone else is free to be exactly like he is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The problem being there are more than a few folks that do "we gotta bomb the fuck outta them dirty Aye-rab camel-jockeys for 'Murica!" way better than he does. Does it make sense to attempt to out-crazy the likes of Rick Perry and Ted Cruz? Especially at the expense of looking like the world's biggest hypocrite? (Which, incidentally, both his Repub opponents AND Democrat opponents can/will easily seize upon now.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
The problem being there are more than a few folks that do "we gotta bomb the fuck outta them dirty Aye-rab camel-jockeys for 'Murica!" way better than he does. Does it make sense to attempt to out-crazy the likes of Rick Perry and Ted Cruz? Especially at the expense of looking like the world's biggest hypocrite? (Which, incidentally, both his Repub opponents AND Democrat opponents can/will easily seize upon now.)

I didn't say it was a good strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how rand wanting to bomb people says anything about his libertarianism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Not sure how rand wanting to bomb people says anything about his libertarianism.

It just says something about his lack of libertarianism and his surplus of panderingism.

If he became President, he'd end up another Patriot Act suck-up like Obama became and once he got a taste of the sweet, sweet buzz of no-transparency drone-murders he'd be sending those babies out just as fast as Obama does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not necessarily anti-libertarian to destroy ISIS if
Quote:
ISIS is a threat to our national security

So the questions are whether they are, to what extent, and how the threat can be handled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

It just says something about his lack of libertarianism and his surplus of panderingism.

If he became President, he'd end up another Patriot Act suck-up like Obama became and once he got a taste of the sweet, sweet buzz of no-transparency drone-murders he'd be sending those babies out just as fast as Obama does.
If he genuinely believes ISIS is a threat why would he (as a libertarian) not see a need to act. I would agree that if this is just a case of bombing ISIS becasue he does not like their politics that would be hypocrisy. But as the US has gone out of it's way to pick a fight with ISIS it's hard to see what else any American leader can do others then try to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jarredscott78 wrote:
It's not necessarily anti-libertarian to destroy ISIS if
Quote:
ISIS is a threat to our national security
So the questions are whether they are, to what extent, and how the threat can be handled.
And given the recent American history of non-libertarian rightwing viewpoints to declare anyone that remotely doesn't fit the 'Murica narrative to be "a threat to our national security" then Rand Paul's comments now place him in the Perry/Cruz/drum-beater sect of Republican candidates. This was formerly not the case (as evidenced by his comments regarding "interventionists" such as Hillary Clinton.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
If he genuinely believes ISIS is a threat why would he (as a libertarian) not see a need to act. I would agree that if this is just a case of bombing ISIS becasue he does not like their politics that would be hypocrisy. But as the US has gone out of it's way to pick a fight with ISIS it's hard to see what else any American leader can do others then try to win.

I think that a Libertarian has a much higher bar for justification of foreign interventions than either of our Keystone parties usually use and even though I was being critical, before I truly condemned him as bending to wherever the wind blows, I'd need to hear his case that he claims he would make. I'd also like him to couch it in his long-term strategy regarding the Middle-East. If his goal is to withdraw from the middle-east and work towards U.S. self-sufficiency, is letting Iraq fall to ISIS really a matter of National Security? If we weren't in the region buying oil, protecting it and it's controllers and propping up oppressive monarchs, would they have any reason to strike at us? I don't know myself, but I'd like to hear his take. Just claiming that he has concluded that he'd like to start bombing and he'll let us know his justification when he actually is in a position to send the planes is somewhat of a posturing cop-out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Hasn't ISIS been promising attacks on US soil?

I'm not up to date on all their pronouncements, but I thought the actual threats to the U.S. itself were in response to being bombed by U.S. military aircraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Can you knock off the 'Murica shit? I know you use it to suggest anyone who is patriotic is a knuck-dragging redneck.

It makes you look like an ass.

There is a thin line between Patriot and Nationalist.

Loving your country is all well and good. Wearing and blindfold and excusing everything done in the "name of" that country is another matter. We've had all too much of folks decrying their neighbors as "unpatriotic" for failing to agree to things like invading Iraq or voting for the putative Patriot Act.

There are far too many vocal nationalists in our midst. Lampooning them is entirely appropriate. The 'Murica stuff is part of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I think that a Libertarian has a much higher bar for justification of foreign interventions than either of our Keystone parties usually use and even though I was being critical, before I truly condemned him as bending to wherever the wind blows, I'd need to hear his case that he claims he would make. I'd also like him to couch it in his long-term strategy regarding the Middle-East. If his goal is to withdraw from the middle-east and work towards U.S. self-sufficiency, is letting Iraq fall to ISIS really a matter of National Security? If we weren't in the region buying oil, protecting it and it's controllers and propping up oppressive monarchs, would they have any reason to strike at us? I don't know myself, but I'd like to hear his take. Just claiming that he has concluded that he'd like to start bombing and he'll let us know his justification when he actually is in a position to send the planes is somewhat of a posturing cop-out.
Except that now they are (as a result of...OMAMA!...) they are now a threat to your national security, as you are at war with them.

I wouild be more interested to know where did Randy stand before the US decided to make enemies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Can you knock off the 'Murica shit? I know you use it to suggest anyone who is patriotic is a knuck-dragging redneck.

Loving your country is all well and good. Wearing and blindfold and excusing everything done in the "name of" that country is another matter. We've had all too much of folks decrying their neighbors as "unpatriotic" for failing to agree to things like invading Iraq or voting for the putative Patriot Act.

There are far too many vocal nationalists in our midst. Lampooning them is entirely appropriate. The 'Murica stuff is part of that.

And it makes you look like an ass, like I said.

It's also a preemptive strike on anyone who might dare to suggest, hey, maybe it's okay to be pro-America. Because you've already characterized such a person as a neanderthal.

You pretend there's nuance as a cover for your sneering condescension for anyone who might prefer America to other nations, and you think it gives you the moral high ground.
You can be pro-American and still not want to bomb the shit out of people who have not threatened you. Of course all rather moot as you have started to bomb them, so now they want to bomb you back (odd that, must be anti-Americans).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:

True.
Rulesjd wrote:

Meh. In my circles and in the places I've lived the 'Murica thing is most frequently used by smug leftists advertising their feelings of intellectual superiority. In its most typical application it's obnoxious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

It's a straw man. Painting your interlocutors as rednecks clears the street for your emptiest arguments. It's also a preemptive strike on anyone who might dare to suggest, hey, maybe it's okay to be pro-America. Because you've already characterized such a person as a neanderthal.

You pretend there's nuance as a cover for your sneering condescension for anyone who might prefer America to other nations, and you think it gives you the moral high ground.

Remember, in the gospel of Matthew Jesus said "Americans are the chosen people, and fuck everyone else right in the eye."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:

Meh. In my circles and in the places I've lived the 'Murica thing is most frequently used by smug leftists advertising their feelings of intellectual superiority. In its most typical application it's obnoxious.

But when it annoys Drew it's practically divine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

It's a straw man. Painting your interlocutors as rednecks clears the street for your emptiest arguments. It's also a preemptive strike on anyone who might dare to suggest, hey, maybe it's okay to be pro-America. Because you've already characterized such a person as a neanderthal.

Remember, in the gospel of Matthew Jesus said "Americans are the chosen people, and fuck everyone else right in the eye."

Pretty sure that's from the Book of Mormon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

I can't keep them straight. Six of one, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure that Thomas Jefferson might have been the closest thing to a libertarian president. He took on the Barbary pirates. Of course, some libertarians dislike the fact he also "unilaterally purchased Louisiana Territory."

Ranks #15 here. (Lincoln #41, Obama #42, G. W. Bush #43)

http://xaviercromartie.blogspot.com/2009/12/libertarian-rank...

(Jefferson is #26 on Ivan Eland's list and #7 on the Vedder/Gallaway list.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Oooooohhhhh.... I like how you just defined "patriotism" to fit some narrow forms of expression and how those who don't fit that type of expression are somehow suddenly "not patriotic." Well done, very subtle.

"I love this country so much that if you don't express your love for it the way I do, then you clearly don't love this country."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Drew1365 wrote:

OH, the irony!
The right-wing of America has been propping up a straw-man for decades by referring pejoratively to anyone who didn't toe their company line as "liberals," (or "libtards" here in the oh-so-enlightened RSP) but turn that game around and slap a label on them and watch as they whine & scream & stomp their feet & cry about mischaracterization.

I am happy to strike a nerve, it means I'm getting to the truth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

I know, right? It's like taking the Bible... then Americanizing it. And that makes it awesome, like the remake of Oldboy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.