GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,978 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Andrew W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all

Has anyone any experience using the original Ancients rules from the Relative Range site with any of the ABD expansion kits?

I've got Ancients and really enjoy it - and would like to stick with the CRT and alternating turns - but I see that Expansion Kit 3: Strange Ordnance has got five Hussite Wars scenarios, which is quite an un-represented conflict in wargaming it seems and one that has interested me for a while.

I understand there'd be a bit of re-jigging, but opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent episode of the "I've Been Diced" podcast, the designer, Mike Nagel said that he wasn't allowed to change the values of the counters (Ancients vs. ABD). So, I'd say that if you want to use the original rules, there shouldn't be any barriers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kent,

Not quite what I said. I said that one of the design goals was to retain backward compatibility with Ancients. You'll note that the ranged combat values are different between the two games.

Andrew ... yes, you should be able to play any of the scenarios in ABD with the components from Ancients (provided that the units exist - new ones have been added - and you have the appropriate number of each).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mpnagel wrote:
Not quite what I said. I said that one of the design goals was to retain backward compatibility with Ancients. You'll note that the ranged combat values are different between the two games.

I never noticed that. I guess I just looked at the combat values.

Great podcast interview by the way. I'm really interested to see the ancient naval game XLI that you're working on. It would be nice to see a game with real squadron rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. Come next payday I'll be picking up Expansion Kit 3 then - kudos for including some Hussite wars conflicts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.