Popular Tags: [View All]
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HELP WANTED
There’s a job to be done, a job that only the most desperate of wanted criminals might consider doing. All you need to do is transport the miserable fugitives to Three Hills in Georgia without getting captured or killed in the process. This is the type of work you never want to do again, but maybe you’ll never have to if the cut is as good as they say.

THE SET-UP
Even if you are Solid with Amnon Duul, you cannot load Fugitives at Space Bazaar until you have your second Goal Token.

GOAL 1: Fire with Fire
These fugitives only answer to their own, and it’ll take a little persuading. Having Niska on your side might help "encourage" the unwilling folk to take the job.

Be Solid with Niska
Misbehave x2

Negotiate Test: 8
1-7 Kill 1 Crew. Attempt Botched
8+ Goal Complete.

GOAL 2: Calm Before the Storm
Amnon Duul is an honest man. He knows his port harbors some dangerous criminals, and he wouldn’t mind getting rid of a few. But before he gets involved in such a risky task, he needs to know you have his best interests in mind.

To Complete the Goal, you need to have completed at least 3 Jobs for Amnon Duul. Then, pay him $5,000. While Solid with Amnon Duul, you may now load Fugitives in Space Bazaar, no limit.

GOAL 3: Shuttle Service
"Well, you were right about this being a bad idea." - Malcom Reynolds

Misbehave x2

Fight Test: 10
1-7 Kill 1 Crew. Lose 4 Fugitives (including in your Stash). Attempt Botched.
8-9 Lose 2 Fugitives (including in your Stash). Attempt Botched.
10+ Deliver any number of Fugitives.

After each successful attempt, keep track of how many Fugitives you’ve delivered.
The first player to successfully deliver a total of 13 Fugitives to Three Hills in Georgia is the winner.

Time: 2 Hours

I wanted to create a Story card that:
1. Wasn't too long (this one clocks in at around 90 minutes for 2 players)
2. Didn't add complicated rules
3. Had a lot of tension and some tough decisions.

The idea around transporting Fugitives came from the fact that they are the hardest thing to transport in the game. If Reavers catch you, they are killed. If Alliance catches you, they are captured (and then probably killed). And you have to transport a lot of them. I could see some people try to transport them in two trips, and some attempt in one. My wife managed to transport all 13 in one trip (with a Stash Upgrade and a Cargo Hold Upgrade, and very little fuel/parts). It made for a very tense game that came down to the wire.

If you want a longer or harder game, you can easily increase the number of jobs to do for Amnon, increase the Misbehaves, increase the number of Fugitives required to win, etc.

I'd appreciate feedback on how to make it better.
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seems pretty well balanced. I like it.

I have no real feedback except maybe fiddling a bit with the Fugutives at the end. Maybe you can only carry a certain number at a time? Or maybe you need to roll every turn to avoid them starting to kill each other? I don't know.

BTW, who are you fighting in the third goal?

EDIT: Assuming your fighting the Fugitives in the finale, maybe instead, each turn you have the Fugitives on your ship you need to make a check to keep them in line? Maybe a Showdown (so it's not necesarily Fight-dependent)? The target would vary based on how many Fugitives you're carrying, so you CAN load 13 of them -- but you probably can't keep them all in line.

It's almost like that grain/chicken/fox across the river thing. It also inspires you to move FAST because every turn they're onboard, something could go really, really wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
EDIT: Assuming your fighting the Fugitives in the finale, maybe instead, each turn you have the Fugitives on your ship you need to make a check to keep them in line? Maybe a Showdown (so it's not necessarily Fight-dependent)? The target would vary based on how many Fugitives you're carrying, so you CAN load 13 of them -- but you probably can't keep them all in line.

SHOWDOWN vs Fugitives
Fugitives are +1 Fight for every Fugitive over number of ship's crew.

13 Fugitives, if you have a crew of 6, means they have a fight of +7 in the showdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the idea for goal 3 was the fugitives put up a small fight as you unload. I could have made that more clear.

I think I like the idea of keeping them in control by doing a check at the end of every fly action.

However, I haven't played Pirates and Bounty Hunters yet. Can you briefly explain the Showdown rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Each side chooses a skill type to check against. Both sides roll a die+skill with the highest total winning. Ties go to the defender (in this case the crew)

Usually there's a WIN and LOSE result for each test (relative to the attacker).

So likely:
Fugitives WIN: Lose 1 fugitive.
Fugitives LOSE: Fugitives settle down until the next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would think the Crew would be the Attacker, and the Fugitives the Defender.

You could either do it as a literal SHOWDOWN or a "variant" SHOWDOWN with a static target.

Either way, the Crew is rolling one die and adding it to their highest ability (presumably).

If I were doing a variant, I would make the Crew the Attackers (active party) with a target of something like 4 + number of Fugitives, so:

SHOWDOWN 4 + 1/Fugitive

LOSE: Lose 2 Fugitives or Kill 1 Crew.
WIN: Proceed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses. I'll have to try it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Nightshade
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
trying to include the blue sun board a bit - how does this sound for an addition to the story....

It looks like the Alliance are trying to settle people on Miranda again and they need settlers. As you can guess there ain't many volunteers so prisoners are being taken there (fugitives).

this would change the final destination of the story to Miranda, and give a reason they are not exactly thrilled about being dropped off (as opposed to constant fighting that can make this story next to impossible)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
SHOWDOWN 4 + 1/Fugitive

I saw this and actually laughed!

Captain: Get in there and subdue that lot.

Crewman: I dunno captain, there's an awful lot of them. It'd be easier if I didn't have to use this oven mitt and whiffle-bat to do the job. Can I carry just a gun instead?

Captain: Don't be ridiculous! You COST me money, every one of them EARNS me money. Now git in there!

Crewman dies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd also allow you to deliver bounties here in lieu of their normal delivery point.

Reason? Bounties do not count as fugitives for purposes of the SHOWDOWN roll, but do count as "settlers" for purposes of the goal. They also don't take up valuable cargo space (giving the Interceptor a fighting chance)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Raven85 wrote:
trying to include the blue sun board a bit - how does this sound for an addition to the story....

It looks like the Alliance are trying to settle people on Miranda again and they need settlers. As you can guess there ain't many volunteers so prisoners are being taken there (fugitives).

this would change the final destination of the story to Miranda, and give a reason they are not exactly thrilled about being dropped off (as opposed to constant fighting that can make this story next to impossible)

I like the idea of Miranda... although I also like the idea of the constant fighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MrDave2176 wrote:
gwek wrote:
SHOWDOWN 4 + 1/Fugitive

I saw this and actually laughed!

Captain: Get in there and subdue that lot.

Crewman: I dunno captain, there's an awful lot of them. It'd be easier if I didn't have to use this oven mitt and whiffle-bat to do the job. Can I carry just a gun instead?

Captain: Don't be ridiculous! You COST me money, every one of them EARNS me money. Now git in there!

Crewman dies

Well... Yeah!

Seriously, though, I saw it as an extension of the "you pick who dies" thing. When a Crew is killed, you get to make the strategic pick of who it is. This is sort of the next step -- who's of more value to you? Crewman A or Crewman B? Or Crewman A or those Fugees?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Daubney
msg tools

I took the liberty of making this into a pretty card.

After we tested it we found that Three hills was a little close so we moved it to Aphrodite.
The same with the 4+ showdown: I had Early & Vera and the roll was easy to make.

Let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.