GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,724 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: Bags aren't so bad after all?!?!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Favazza
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit something...

When I first got this game I laughed at the dice bags. They were a joke! They were like the paper bags my mom would pack my lunches in so many years ago. They wouldn't last 5 games! I planned to replace them with nice cloth bags immediately....but...I'm lazy.

And I never replaced the bags. And it's now been several months, and more than 100 games, and you know what? They are still fine!!! In fact, they may have gotten better, as they are now "broken in" and soft. Worse yet, I've actually become attached to one as my 'lucky' bag (Damn it! How did this happen!?).

So, I'm here to admit that the quality of these bags was much better than I originally thought, and that I think much of the criticism of these bags by reviewers was premature, and based on them looking at the bag for 2 minutes. (At least as it deals with the quality of the materials - feel free to continue to complain about the size of the bag if your hand doesn't fit right).

Anyway, just needed to get that off my chest. Thanks for listening.

[prompted by yet another MDM review where half of it seemed to be about how cheap the bags are instead of the gameplay!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
the bags are awesome, never broke, but I moved on to cloth

but yes, there was a very early rush to judgement, even on my part, about these bags
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they are Tyvek or some Dupont stuff aren't they? The material's made to last, so it's not much of a surprise (but yeah, they do look like junk and we all mock them anyway).

Props to you (and ) for giving them a shot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly. One of my bags didn't even make it through the second game. It got a huge rip about 3 rounds into game 2...

That is awesome your bag is withstanding the test of time though.

I am sure my story is a rare case. I am sure the majority get a lot of replay before crinkling off to bag heaven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't use bags, just some small ceramic round bottom bowls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallen McInerney
Australia
Kingscliff
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the bags for their compactness and yes they do wear in after awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The bags are ful-awful. My hand span is the size of a dinner plate, and I cant even get close to getting it in the bag. I hate them and they are tossed out long ago with no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
The bags are ful-awful. My hand span is the size of a dinner plate, and I cant even get close to getting it in the bag. I hate them and they are tossed out long ago with no.

Yeah I actually tried them after posting and my hands are a little big for the bag when loaded with 20 dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Martin
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I've got nothing up my sleeves
mbmbmbmbmb
The very first time I handled one of the bags, literally as I was pulling it out of the starter set, the glued seam came apart rendering it useless. So yeah, not a fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Martin
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I've got nothing up my sleeves
mbmbmbmbmb
DyslexicDan wrote:
jergarmar wrote:
The very first time I handled one of the bags, literally as I was pulling it out of the starter set, the glued seam came apart rendering it useless. So yeah, not a fan.

I'd imagine that bag is probably from second “print run” of the game. I say print run because I’m not sure what else to call it. Everything including the dice, the bag, and packaging were all crap in the second run. The ink on the dice is messy if it even existed, card were absurdly bent, and the bags fell apart right away. When you compare those components with the first “print run” it is like night and day. The dice have nice clean symbols on them, the bags don’t fall apart, and only a handful of cards are bent. Even the components from the “print run” that came out after GenCon noticeably better. I think when WizKids realized they needed to make more copies of the game fast they let their quality control drop.

You are correct about that. I picked up a starter just a few weeks ago from a LGS, certainly in a recent print run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have inks you can kinda fix the dice a bit, but I have culled allot of dice already, especially for some reason Beast. He seems to be the biggest perpetrator of bad dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Skinner
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a first run set, and the bag lasted all of three turns. Now, I'll admit, I'm pretty ham-fisted. The seams didn't have much of a chance.

And, I couldn't be more on the opposite side of the print run debate. All the sloppy dice and heat-sealed cards I bought were in the first two weeks of release. I have a Ghost Rider die that looks like it was run over by a tank. I have a Mystique die that is missing about 1/3 of its paint. I haven't bought as much second-printing merchandise, but it has all been much better than the initial run stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I moved to hand made cloth bags because it gave me a chance to customize.

At the last tournament two of the four players were using the stock bag. One went undefeated and won the OP. So, maybe they're not that bad.

Mine are better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.