Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: The NTC Table - Because all home made custom tables should have a name? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Becker
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Inspired by a friend, geekchic and other DIY'ers scattered on the interwebs; I decided to undertake the task of building my own gaming table.

As an electrician by trade - this wood stuff is fairly new to me, so i spent allot of time researching things, doing them, screwing it up, and doing it again marginally better, saying screw it and moving on. (basically what i am saying is "yes, if you zoom in, you will see some flaws)

My main inspiration was the Vizier from geekchichq.com. I used sketch-up to do my initial modelling and then worked from that baseline.

The Table material is 85% oak, with maple ply, and cedar legs (because im not buying 6x6 oak timbres - nope)
The playing surface is vintage microsuede laid on top of 1/4" rubber underlay - the feel is fantastic.

Its constructed in 4 pieces - removable playing "mat", removable playing surface inlay, table frame, and legs.
Moving this thing is a 2 man job minimum - preferably 4. I estimate a total weight of it at about 160lbs.
No fancy joints, all screw and glue.

If you have questions/comments or cries of revolt please let em rip. I would love to help people avoid the same mistakes i made. I have a bunch of pics of the construction process if people would like to see them as well.

That being said, here is The NTC Table in my Nerd Den

Cheers

NTC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woody Taylor
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice table! And yes, as creator of the Frankentable, I agree all custom tables should have a name. Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Becker
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
woodshow wrote:
Nice table! And yes, as creator of the Frankentable, I agree all custom tables should have a name. Well done.

Thank you! I believe your table came to my attention a few times while I was in the planning stages. Looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dewald van der Merwe
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you find those metal cup holders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Becker
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dewaldjohann wrote:
Where did you find those metal cup holders?

They came from straightpokersupplies.com in Toronto. Great service and really fast shipping (in Canada anyway). The ones I used are the jumbo size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Deignan
United States
West Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do I send you my address to have that delivered to Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Becker
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
alqadim wrote:
Where do I send you my address to have that delivered to Great work!

Haha. thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Z
msg tools
Sweet table! Just recently played on a buddies table shown below. Thought a table could not get much better for gaming but it looks like yours one ups him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Becker
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
niknak04 wrote:
Sweet table! Just recently played on a buddies table shown below. Thought a table could not get much better for gaming but it looks like yours one ups him.

HAHA!Im pretty sure I chatted the creator of this table up a few times, even got him to confess some of his building secrets.

Thanks for the props pot stirrer. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
niknak04 wrote:

This is awesome! That turned-over couch looks just like mine! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy hell that room is full of win! Who did the immaculate death star painting on the wall?!? Love the purple paint and how everything coordinates with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Becker
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Blazur wrote:
Holy hell that room is full of win! Who did the immaculate death star painting on the wall?!? Love the purple paint and how everything coordinates with that.

Thank you! The Death Star scene was painted by my wife. She is amazing. here is a closer shot of it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/XMjQSdr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this looks very nice. Well done. The purple against the dark wood looks good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Becker
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
I think this looks very nice. Well done. The purple against the dark wood looks good.

Thanks! i must say, the purple was my wifes suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic job! I have a question - how long did this thing take?!

I think this is really inspired - I love a bit of DIY but you are now the KING!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Becker
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
coltbeatsall wrote:
Fantastic job! I have a question - how long did this thing take?!

I think this is really inspired - I love a bit of DIY but you are now the KING!

Thanks a ton!

Total time spent was about 5 weeks (working on it 2-6 hours a day), with the first week being pure research. I spent quite a bit of time during the build process just reviewing and planning the next step. Also a fair bit of time was spent correcting mistakes and making extra trips to the harware/lumber store. Sourcing some of the parts was time consuming, just because I dont like pulling the trigger on something unless i really like the product.
If i were to do the exact same project again (or give someone super detailed plans so they could build) i could probably halve the time(optimistically!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conrad R
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is 100% awesome and I fully support maximum DIY everything! Very nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff w
Canada
Paisley
ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, great job on the table.

Just wondering if you could give me any pointer or tips on building a table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Becker
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wedontknow games wrote:
This is 100% awesome and I fully support maximum DIY everything! Very nice!

Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Becker
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
xxJeffxx wrote:
First of all, great job on the table.

Just wondering if you could give me any pointer or tips on building a table?

Thanks!

Sure, I can dole out some of what I learned.

Its all in the planning:
Start with an end goal, figure out what kind of table you want, what kind of features you want, what you want to be able to do on this table.

Research:
research everything you can find about all aspects of your project, even the simple stuff. Tips and tricks/tools needed/process involved.

Tools:
If you don't have any, you will have to buy bare minimum. If your on tight budget, you can rent some tools, and buy only the ones you will need for the project. I am fortunate enough to work in the construction industry and have alot of my own tools. If your new to woodworking like i am. Screw and glue method will be your best friend.

Practice:
Practice new or difficult steps on scrap wood. This will save you $$

Sketchup:
Learn how to use the free sketchup program, its awesome. you can detail and 3d model all your features to exact size and even get cut lists.

Lastly, dont rush, i find wood working to be very relaxing, and i made a ton of errors. Enjoy the experience.

PS: measure the crud out of everything all of the time.
PSS: know if you need to cut on the line, or if you need to leave the line.

Happy Building! post on here when you get going!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Ogre
Canada
flag msg tools
Just in case this post is still alive, two items. 1.great work! I love it. 2.Do you happen to have plans available? Thanks ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Becker
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do have plans, very amatuer plans on sketchup. Send me a pm with your email and I can send them to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua King
msg tools
where on earth did you find the hinges?!

and how much did you pay for them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
NTCans wrote:
Blazur wrote:

Thank you! The Death Star scene was painted by my wife. She is amazing. here is a closer shot of it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/XMjQSdr

Nice table, but that Star Wars mural is amazing, it really evokes the feeling of SW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dunn
msg tools
Any chance you could share your sketch up files I want to do the fold down trays but I'm having issues with the angles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.