Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this is a silly question, but seeing as how Aquasphere was, is La Isla going to be a Kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, just a regular release I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would it be? Because they're from the same designer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the online stores are taking pre-orders for it. Mine's already ordered and just waiting for release now

And the guy who posted just above me "MiWi" is responsible for me placing that order. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I think that the US perspective is skewed right now. From the US consumer perspective, all these slamdunk Queen, Gryphon, and other larger company games by top tier designers are getting kickstarted to assess demand and thereby better calibrate the print run size. As side benefits, they serve as advance marketing and the companies get direct profit. We have also seen them dumping titles sitting in there warehouses as bonuses, so they are also able to move unprofitable product through new channels.

Most don't know that Ravensburger is a large diversified company that publishes multilingually and distributes directly to the US.

At the same time, if Ravensburger put up a Kickstarter tomorrow where every pledge for La Isla got a free Artus, I would not be that shocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravensburger has their own factories.
As with good old Avan Hill, they need to have their staff doing something.

alea is Ravensburger's prestige brand, which doesn't sell enough to make it worth their while. It's a wonder that it has survived until now. A poor result is on Kickstarter (or similar) could make the Board realise what a poor profit alea is doing. Don't rock the boat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
And another 100GG on this
badge
I just spent 100GG on this
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:

alea is Ravensburger's prestige brand, which doesn't sell enough to make it worth their while. It's a wonder that it has survived until now. A poor result is on Kickstarter (or similar) could make the Board realise what a poor profit alea is doing. Don't rock the boat!

Are you sure about this? That's quite sad, especially since alea has published a lot of really awesome games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a long story that goes way back to the early days of alea.
Ravensburger hopes to win the Spiel des Jahres, which is why the games becomes lighter and lighter over the years. Luckíly does alea-editor Stefan Brück try to sneak great games in as well. But the top brass has never been satisfied with the sales (with the exception of Puerto Rico).

This is also why alea games are now being distributed by Heidelberger Spieleverlag. Ravensburger's own sales staff never bothered to show the alea line to customers (shops) as their profit from percentages were greater on the stuff that really sells. Because the Heidelberger sellers frequent more hobbystores than Ravensburger did, the sales have hopefully gone up. But it will still be low compared to other Ravensburger sales (or the SdJ of course).

alea could really do with a succesful win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Are we sure the brand hasn't just devolved to a way to monetize a drinking buddy relationship between Bruck and Feld?

The attention to detail, and clearly the desire to work to find great designs from other designers, has slipped over the past few games if you ask me.

Still a fan though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Oh and given that the gaming press is consistently reporting a September 2014 release in Germany for this, I believe we can conclude that this will not appear on Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Are we sure the brand hasn't just devolved to a way to monetize a drinking buddy relationship between Bruck and Feld?

Are you sure you don't confuse Feld and Dorn?
Las Vegas is pobably the closest alea has been to winning the SdJ. So I expect to see more titles of that ilk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Great Dane wrote:
apotheos wrote:

Are you sure you don't confuse Feld and Dorn?
Las Vegas is pobably the closest alea has been to winning the SdJ. So I expect to see more titles of that ilk.

The track record over the last few years is very....Feldy.

I'd be a lot happier if it was more diversified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.