Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, if this has already been discussed, please point me in the general direction of the relevant thread.

So, as I see UXM, DnD, DC, and others, marching towards us over the distant horizon, I find myself wondering what release model WizKids are like to follow for this series.

When UXM comes out will that be it for AvX?
And what about when DnD is released, will that mark the end UXM?

Or will previous sets continue to be available?

Anyone have any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking that Marvel Dice Masters would be similar to M:TG where you get new base sets (E.g. Theros, Born of the Gods, etc). I am hoping that the D&D and DC lines will be separate games that spawn their own iterations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Taylor
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think they will be stand alone expansions that will play nicely against each other but can only be used with their own basic dice.

By that I mean you wont see DC and Marvel characters in the same deck but you will definitely be able to play a DC deck against a Marvel deck.

I think the Mask, Bolt, Fist and Shield will be different symbols for each franchise. D&D might be Sword, Shield(round wooden style), Bow and Wand. Sure they are effectively the same but you wont be able to pay for War Machine with a D&D Shield and vice versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walker
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhadamanthine wrote:
I think they will be stand alone expansions that will play nicely against each other but can only be used with their own basic dice.

By that I mean you wont see DC and Marvel characters in the same deck but you will definitely be able to play a DC deck against a Marvel deck.

I think the Mask, Bolt, Fist and Shield will be different symbols for each franchise. D&D might be Sword, Shield(round wooden style), Bow and Wand. Sure they are effectively the same but you wont be able to pay for War Machine with a D&D Shield and vice versa.

That makes sense in all, but how does that handle globals and card abilities that specifically target certain characters types, such as Nightcrawler? A player aid showing equivalents? Sword=Fist, Mask=Wand, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Taylor
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I dont think you will be able to cross access the globals unless using the same universe. We have already seen extremely limited abilities in characters like Magneto and Nick Fury so I do not think they ever intended for every card to be playable with every card inside of their own sets let alone the sets playing together perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gumps wrote:
I was thinking that Marvel Dice Masters would be similar to M:TG where you get new base sets (E.g. Theros, Born of the Gods, etc). I am hoping that the D&D and DC lines will be separate games that spawn their own iterations.

So you think that once Uncanny X-Men is finally released that will mark the end for Avengers vs X-Men?

Or will Avengers vs X-Men continue to be available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
jwalk40 wrote:
rhadamanthine wrote:

That makes sense in all, but how does that handle globals and card abilities that specifically target certain characters types, such as Nightcrawler? A player aid showing equivalents? Sword=Fist, Mask=Wand, etc.

I suspect they wouldn't change the energy types for DnD... the existing ones would work just fine.
fist -melee
mask -stealth/skullduggery
bolt -ranged (magic and bow)
shield -defensive

no reason to change them to swords/wands/etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thompson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://deviramericas.com/categoria/wizkids/dd-dice-masters-b...

At least fist energy is the same. WK has said that the different games will be compatible and playable together. Having new energy could be as simple as mixing the sidekick dice in the 8 sidekicks that you bring to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can see on the Uncanny X-Men it looks more like a compliment to the A vs Xmen that we currently play. As far as the DnD Dice Masters, it does not interest me in the slightest, and the only way I might actually get a starter pack is if there are some neat events at my FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett RS
United States
Neenah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How does HeroClix work. I assume they will follow that path. Also I assume that they will leave AVX on the market longer than normal due to supply issues

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrettRS wrote:
How does HeroClix work. I assume they will follow that path.
That was my thinking. However I've no idea how the HeroClix release model works. Was hoping to elicit that kind of information from this thread.

BrettRS wrote:
Also I assume that they will leave AVX on the market longer than normal due to supply issues
I certainly hope so. Would like to get hold of at least (but probably just) one more Gravity Feed, in the relatively near future (but not immediately) if I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure HeroClix sets aren't reprinted once new sets are released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ball
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I used to play HeroClix years ago, so my info may be out of date. The base DC and Marvel starter HeroClix boxes were pretty easy to find even years after being released. Presumably they were reprinted at some point. Eventually they were replaced by starter boxes for newer sets.

The random packs in general were not reprinted, with the exception of the original Marvel set. That one got re-released with some slight balance changes and better minis. There was not a huge demand for the early sets though since the newer sets tended to gradually increase in power.

As for compatibility, DC HeroClix and Marvel HeroClix were officially two different games. They were perfectly compatible, but there was likely some legal reason that the rules never referred to anything from the other setting. As long as we're throwing out wild speculation, I would guess that Marvel, DC, D&D and Yu-Gi-Oh Dice Masters sets will be mostly compatible but not designed to be balanced against each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DyslexicDan wrote:
Considering that it only says Dice Masters on the back of the cards and not Marvel Dice Masters my assumption that everything will be compatible. It a generic rule system independent of the theme being laid on top of it. Now with that said WizKids could totally botch it up.

The bigger issue I think is the confusion of what will be Dice Masters sets and what are going to be standalone games. D&D and Yu-Gi-Oh are Dice Masters but DC and Lord of The Ring are standalone games. All of them are based on the Quarriors rules which is why I think things are confusing.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1228167/dc-dice-masters-just...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Taylor
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DyslexicDan wrote:
Considering that it only says Dice Masters on the back of the cards and not Marvel Dice Masters my assumption that everything will be compatible. It a generic rule system independent of the theme being laid on top of it. Now with that said WizKids could totally botch it up.

I would normally agree with this assumption but the cards do not create a deck to be shuffled so the back of the card has no real relevance to the compatibility between sets. All the images Ive seen for D&D have not been confirmed as the final product and Wizkids are known for using what they printed earlier until they revise it for the newer set. Evidence for this is in the Lord Of The Rings Dice game where they still reference Quarriors in the rules even though they are not the same game or even remotely compatible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ducimus
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not worried about compatability between the sets. I don't think I'm likely to buy anything but the marvel stuff at this point. I am a bit concerned that they might follow the heroclix/magic model and stop printing sets as new ones come out. While I'm sure they will print different marvel sets for the foreseeable future it it would be good to be able have everything available. It will also keep the older sets from getting too expensive for people to buy into. I had assumed they would stay in print but looking at the business model this may not be the case

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ducimus
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess separate op events. More event is more sales of boosters and you would need to get each set. It would also help keep it visible if there is an op event almost every week for one of the sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ducimus
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant separate events i.e. Marvel one week, d&d another, dc. And yugioh on others. That would make for an op event every week. People are more likely to play and or buy if there are events and prizes all the time. Setting up storylines and prizes that would work for a blended event would be tricky. But it is four times the work so who knows what they will do. If you can play a marvel set in a of the events though would you bother to spend on three or four more sets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ducimus
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Lang posted on twitter that this and dc would be compatible. What that means for op events is anyone's guess though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.