8 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: Jellyfish rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Chest
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was having some fun tonight and came up with a Jellyfish ship from the first J.J. Abrams Star Trek Movie. Not sure if I should make it Vulcan faction or not. Thoughts?

My idea was to make it ridiculously maneuverable and hard to hit, as well as almost impervious to 360 attackers. I'm thinking of a tech that lets it "barrel-roll" using the 1 soft turn template and a secondary weapon to represent it's rapid fire weapon seen in the movie. I didn't give it a primary weapon value so that I could keep the cost of the ship low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom B.
msg tools
That's a neat idea, I don't think we really have a ship like that yet. Personally I'm against JJ Abrams "Trek" getting mixed in with TNG through Enterprise, but the ship is pretty niche.

Hypothetically that thing can pump out 3 attack die range 1-3 omnidirectional every turn just putting something like dorsal weapons array on it. Put on a captain with target lock as a free action, and that thing could pump out torpedoes every turn. I'd like to see that playtested against other ~sub-20 point ships, probably starting with the Jem'Hadar patrol ship.

Find a better ship candidate (...please?) but I'd really like to see this concept tested.

EDIT:
There's some "Re-roll blank defense die" captains IIRC... that thing could be effectively invulnerable with a 4+4 dice, not to mention a cloaking device for 12 dice. Might have to test that and reconsider the base agility and defense bonus. Maybe something else like free/bonus evasive action tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew SPQR
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Shouldn't it be Federation or Vulcan faction considering it was made on Vulcan in the prime universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be the giant alien jellyfish creatures from Encounter at Farpoint.

Oh well...

Also, like many proxy ships I see on here, this one has too many maneuvers on its Maneuver Card. A STAW dial really can only have 15 maneuvers in its normal configuration, not 21.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
considering its carrying tons of that red matter stuff (which maybe you intend to cover with a tech card) how about some devastating consequence for the thing being blown up? Say a Quantum Singularity opens up, all ships with in Range 1-3 of the exploded ship take 6 points of hull damage at the end of the next activation phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Latimer
Canada
flag msg tools
It could be 3 factions; Vulcans (commissioned by them to transport red matter), Federation (help in its construction) and Independent (was built and launched at the Daystrom Institute)

Also as even though it was in the JJ-Trek movie it does exist in the Prime universe.

As for a death effect tech/weapon upgrade I'd say something along the lines of movement penalty and/or damage chance (roll 2 attack dice for damage)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heavyguard wrote:
It could be 3 factions; Vulcans (commissioned by them to transport red matter), Federation (help in its construction) and Independent (was built and launched at the Daystrom Institute)

Also as even though it was in the JJ-Trek movie it does exist in the Prime universe.

As for a death effect tech/weapon upgrade I'd say something along the lines of movement penalty and/or damage chance (roll 2 attack dice for damage)

I don't remember it being said that it was built at the Daystrom Institute. Where was that pointed out? Also, why would that make it Independent? The Daystrom Institute was very much a part of the Federation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
interesting concept.

Just one comment / suggestion:

Spock said this was their "fastest ship".

Shouldn't it have a Straight 6?

I'd make it Vulcan (Origin: Vulcan Science Academy), but that's just me.

Red Matter should definitely be an upgrade (with ridiculous, overpowered effects), not built into the ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.