GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,606 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How has gaming changed you in the wider world? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
That might sound kind of deep, but I'm asking as I realized that I've doubled down on my favourite colour. Big stuff huh? If I can play Purple, I'll play purple, or sulk a little. And now that's bled into real life and if there's a purple version of something, yep, I'm buying it. Proud owner of 80 brand new purple coat hangers since the weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My already somewhat erratic relationship with failure grew even more erratic and unstable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How has gaming changed you in the wider world?

If I spent less time on BGG and more time getting healthy exercise I would probably weigh 15 pounds less than I do today... so I wouldn't be quite so wide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've found the bonds with my family have grown deeper thanks to board gaming.

No longer are we just sitting in the lounge in silence watching terrible TV, but interacting and having a laugh and actually finding out about each others' days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can bore others to death about board gaming now, instead of just computer games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I already had a tendency to use unconventional methods, but I think that has been increased by my gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tom
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
I've found the bonds with my family have grown deeper thanks to board gaming.

No longer are we just sitting in the lounge in silence watching terrible TV, but interacting and having a laugh and actually finding out about each others' days!

Definitely this. A large amount of my gaming is spent with my parents.

Also, and I have to give credit to D&D for getting the ball rolling on this, I have met many new people through board gaming. I now have a slightly active social life
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
My mind is infested... every time I see a news report on Snowden, I think of Snowdonia...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's improved my hearing noticeably - I can recognise the sound of the delivery truck making its way up the hill and be at the gate to meet it, avoiding those "not another one" glares I get when the guy actually brings a package to the door (married to a non-gamer shake).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It means we have something to do all the time. The question 'it's raining, what are we going to do?' is easily answered and we don't mind if there's nothing on TV - we just pull out a game.

On a more sentimental note, it's also brought the family together, the family being my mother and sister. I wouldn't normally see them on a regular basis (it's not really something our family does), but on Friday night, we have dinner together and then we play a game. My mum enjoys the games, but I'm quite sure that she enjoys seeing us together even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I used to be a guy who didn't play board games. Now I am a guy who does! ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This wider world you refer to... Is it more like the width of a Terra Mystica map, or are we talking about something more along the lines of Indonesia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
That might sound kind of deep, but I'm asking as I realized that I've doubled down on my favourite colour. Big stuff huh? If I can play Purple, I'll play purple, or sulk a little. And now that's bled into real life and if there's a purple version of something, yep, I'm buying it. Proud owner of 80 brand new purple coat hangers since the weekend!

Thing I don't get is why anyone would need 80 coat hangers of any colour...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrysm wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

New shiny IKEA wardrobe, going from having my shirts in drawers to hanging up. Needed lots of hangers and there they were. Dull but true. http://www.wilko.com/garment-hangers/wilko-coat-hangers-adul... WOOT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wilkinson
England
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I now have something I can invest in for when my son (and future children) are old enough to play. Hopefully something that will bring us together as a family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos R
United States
Lake Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
It has brought a great sense of connection between me and my sons. They are still young, but he loves playing some of the easier games with me.

Now, it also has put a strange sort of scarlet letter on me by my adult friends and family since now I'm the weird guy who has a strange fetish for board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Chrysm wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

New shiny IKEA wardrobe, going from having my shirts in drawers to hanging up. Needed lots of hangers and there they were. Dull but true. http://www.wilko.com/garment-hangers/wilko-coat-hangers-adul... WOOT!

Dull? Hardly .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a gaming group in high school, and one of my friends brought her friend Chris to the group. This is something like 1985-1986. So Chris is then a regular in the group until she graduates in '87.

So I sort of keep in touch with Chris for a while, it gets a little sketchy during/after college. Chris was with Outward Bound for a while. I know for a couple years the only phone number I had for her was at a ski lift somewhere in Colorado.

A few years later (suppose this is the early-mid 90's), a high-school classmate who was still in my gaming group says that he ran into Chris working at a semi-local restaurant.

Then in '99, Chirs, sort of out of the blue (we had stayed in touch, but only spoken several times a year), invites me to her birthday party in Las Vegas. Along on that trip was her medical school roommate. That roommate is now my wife of 13 years.

Now we have a 2 year old daughter, and we play Go Away Monster, Snail Pace Race, and Junior Labyrinth (even though she can only match the tokens to locations on the board).

Chris lives in Vegas, but we see her several times a year... My game group is different than it was in '86, but my current group plays pretty much every week, and everyone still in it (currently myself and 5 others) have all been gaming as a group since 1989.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Board gaming has allowed me to finally re-embrace my inner geek. In junior high and high school, I used to play MtG and D&D obsessively, but then when college/grad school hit it was all grown up stuff (you know, non-geeky things like learning German, studying opera, English literature, and eighteenth-century European history...)

Getting back into board games has gotten me back into fantasy (rereading LOTR and finishing A Song of Ice and Fire), zombie movies, and even Star Trek, which I never really liked when I was younger but I've been eager to watch as an adult because of a few fun Star Trek games we own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zolrac01 wrote:
It has brought a great sense of connection between me and my sons. They are still young, but he loves playing some of the easier games with me.

Now, it also has put a strange sort of scarlet letter on me by my adult friends and family since now I'm the weird guy who has a strange fetish for board games.

what he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has made me happier.

I have made a lot of friends due to board gaming. When I moved for work, I ended up in a place that did not have a lot of people my age or who shared my interests. I ultimately became a hermit which really sucked being an extrovert. When I finally got fed up with it, I went out, got involved, and met my now wife. It was she who introduced me to the hobby and one night while she was working, found a group of people talking about boardgames. She invited them over and they became fast friends.

Since then, we have introduced a dozen or so people to the hobby and have a healthy network of friends, which has really made a depressing job and living in the middle of nowhere more bearable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sharper and more creative. I got into gaming partly to "reduce the cognitive effects of aging" that I felt were being accelerated by mind-numbing work and information overload. It worked. I feel like I'm thinking quicker and better able to see solutions to problems. My memory is better, too. I'm also more creative.

I think seeing all these different game designs, themes, mechanics and artwork has reopened my mind to different ways of doing things and creating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I take my kids to the petting zoo, I keep asking the farmer if I can trade some wood for his sheep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't my story, but the story of one of my board gaming friends.

My friend got an Architecture degree, and like everyone else who graduated with an Architecture degree in 2008, wasn't able to get a job as an architect. So she got a job at a medical supply company. The job was just ok, the people were kind of awful, and her boss was sexist ("The guy who had the job before you got paid more because he had a family"). What she really wanted to do, though, was be a librarian. She'd loved working at the library when she was in school. But she was stuck in this dead end, awful job.

Here's what she told me helped her make the decision to change things up: board games. She told me basically this: "When you're playing a board game and your strategy isn't working for whatever reason, it's stupid to stick with that strategy the whole game. You're going to lose. Even if you have to cut your losses, it's better to do that and try a new strategy and maybe not lose as bad and maybe even win."

So taking that, she quit her awful job and went back to school to get her Master's in Library Science. She gave up on her losing strategy and tried another one. So basically, board games helped her look at the bigger picture and realize that she needed to change her life plan. Pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I have a lot less money...

Pete (bought 3 more this week)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.