GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,844 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » General

Subject: iOS game- Why the 3 card starting hand? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
Often when I start a new game versus the AI, I start out with a three card hand. I can go through the process of quitting and starting a new game several times before I get five cards in my starting hand.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hernandez
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC60jOuYKt-7X3Jk2QR7N94A
badge
Cards and Cardboard (CnC) Reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: iOS game glitch-- 3 card starting hand
Are you going as first player? Because the player who goes first has a -2 card starting hand.(5 becomes 3 for standard games, and 7 to 5 for Raiders vs Boss which is not in app version.) It is a balance that the designers put in to prevent an unfair advantage on buys and combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not a glitch, that just means you are the first player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a quick check on website's How-to-play rules section and on that page is a game starting lay out image. It confirms that the starting player has a 3 card starting hand.

Image added for reference and confirmation.

Edited so it made sense rather than my usual gobbledegook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When it is player 1, the AI can go through its three cards so quickly I can see how someone might not realize they were actually player two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
When it is player 1, the AI can go through its three cards so quickly I can see how someone might not realize they were actually player two.

Although you can verify that this is the case by looking at the AI's discard pile - it should have 3 starting cards plus whatever it bought.

Edit: see next comment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ashman wrote:
It should have 3 base cards plus wahtever it bought.

I would call them "starting" cards and not "base" cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
ashman wrote:
It should have 3 base cards plus wahtever it bought.

I would call them "starting" cards and not "base" cards.
:)

Absolutely ... Fixed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
tigbun wrote:
Are you going as first player? Because the player who goes first has a -2 card starting hand.(5 becomes 3 for standard games, and 7 to 5 for Raiders vs Boss which is not in app version.) It is a balance that the designers put in to prevent an unfair advantage on buys and combat.

Thanks! This is what happens when you don't read the rule! I downloaded the app and jumped right into the game. Is there a way to delete this whole thread since it ain't a glitch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can edit the subject of the original post to point out is not actually a glitch.

You can ask an admin to delete the entire thread, although that takes all the other posts away with it.

It may be worth leaving it with an amended subject just so other people who miss the 3 card starting hand for the first player see it as well (I know we missed that in our first physical game) cool:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
Karlsen wrote:
You can edit the subject of the original post to point out is not actually a glitch.

You can ask an admin to delete the entire thread, although that takes all the other posts away with it.

It may be worth leaving it with an amended subject just so other people who miss the 3 card starting hand for the first player see it as well (I know we missed that in our first physical game) cool:

I tried editing the subject line, but it didn't change. How do I do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
ukraineboo wrote:
Karlsen wrote:

I think you are trying to confuse me or figured it out later. Hasn't the subject line changed from what it was originally? I thought it had the word glitch in it, or has my memory gone faulty?

Anyway, edit the original post and then edit the contents of the line Subject: and Submit the post. That should work. It's possible it's cached for a little while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
Karlsen wrote:
ukraineboo wrote:
Karlsen wrote:

I think you are trying to confuse me or figured it out later. Hasn't the subject line changed from what it was originally? I thought it had the word glitch in it, or has my memory gone faulty?

Anyway, edit the original post and then edit the contents of the line Subject: and Submit the post. That should work. It's possible it's cached for a little while.

Why would I try to confuse you?

It is showing as changed now. Probably cached for a while as you said. Thanks for you help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.