Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Adams
United States
Camarillo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been advertising on Facebook. Facebook isn't for everybody I'm sure, but man! They have advertising figured out!

I would have thought the bright colorful graphics would have gained the most attention, but it was a simple image of the game on a dark table that was most successful.

The most interesting thing about their system is the ability to target and A/B test your ads. In doing so I was very surprised what caught people's attention. That ad in particular was getting 10% click through!

What draws you to a game when you see it on the store shelves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
I didn't know what else to do with the GG
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say that the packaging for boardgames has ever really been a factor in my choices. While I might take it off the shelf and investigate the content if something is eye catching. Game purchases are usually more based on investigation, input and or actual play.

Thinking about it, I can only recall one purchase that was entirely based on packaging and had nothing to do with any knowledge of the product, and that was when I bought the "Aquabats Vs the Floating Eye of Death" cd. Big fan of the band at this point, but it was like they designed the cd cover with me in mind, just to get me to listen to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony elmer
United States
wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
The side of the box. Most flgs put them on the shelf like books. A beautiful cover never gets seen unless the side screams pick me up. I typically investigate my buys, but an eye-catching side certainly can influence what I'll read about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
jonopus wrote:

What draws you to a game when you see it on the store shelves?

I generally don't buy games from brick-and-mortar stores. My first eye-catching experiences are usually on BGG. I look at the images of the games (particularly the board, cards, tiles, and box cover). Then, I usually watch a video or two. Games with colorful artwork are very eye-catching. One of my favorite box covers is Qin. The colors just seem to jump right off the cardboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the high ranks for Agricola (currently #4) and Caverna: The Cave Farmers (currently #7), board game players are pretty...tolerant when it comes to first impressions by box cover art - which is indeed a really good thing.

By the way, there is a thread that might be of interest to you: ►Best and worst box cover art

Abyss deserves extra credit for just showing artwork on the front:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefan Feld's name on the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Newson Ly
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find a lot of the FFG products are really eye catching and artistic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falcon Arendell

Raleigh
North Carolina
msg tools
mb
If the box is too eye catching, I automatically have a negative feeling toward the game. Obviously they chose form over function. Felt that way about Abyss upon first seeing the box. After watching a play through, though, I'm poised to purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zinphad wrote:
If the box is too eye catching, I automatically have a negative feeling toward the game. Obviously they chose form over function. Felt that way about Abyss upon first seeing the box. After watching a play through, though, I'm poised to purchase.

This means that, for you, a game can not play and look good at the same time, let alone also have a nice box illustration ?

No negative undertone intended, just asking and trying to understand your view here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Adams
United States
Camarillo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
anthonyelmer88 wrote:
The side of the box.

Very good point! I'll prbably try to integrate that for Cartography.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Breese
msg tools
I worked in a bookstore for 8 years. People don't realize that book covers are the first and last advertisement that a person will likely see for that book (unless it gets on OPRAAAAH!)

I guess it is the same for games. So do not take it for granted. Invest time and money into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.