Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attention! These maps are unofficial! In case of conflict, the info from Merz Verlag is ALWAYS considered correct.

Hi all,

Regular visitors of this forum may already know the detailed maps I've created for several years now, like here:
Maps/Floorplans for Essen
Hall Plans 2012 are ONLINE! (With combined maps)
Hall Plans 2013 are ONLINE! (With detailed maps)

Well, here are the maps for the SPIEL 2014! Enjoy!

A3 PDF: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40111876/Essen2014_A3.pd...
A4 PDF: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40111876/Essen2014_A4.pd...

I've seen several companies publish parts of the maps on the web, so I've started "cutting and welding" again. Here's what I have so far:
Note that it's a reduced resolution - the final product will be available in both PDF format and hi-res picture.

I am thinking about other alternatives for the small booths. I didn't quite like the truckload of mini-icons I used in the 2013 version. To those who used these maps on the fair, do you have any suggestions? Ideas for improvements?

I would also appreciate any info or hi-res images of the booth plans. Last year
a ton of awesome people helped me out by posting info or maps and I was really happy about it. Thank you! thumbsup

Also thank you to those people who use the maps or hang them in their booth on the fair. That always brings a smile to my face.

Disclaimer: These maps are based on the official info from Merz-Verlag, but they are to be considered unofficial. Do not refer to them in case of an emergency. In case of conflict, the Info from Merz Verlag is correct.

ETA 1: I got hi-res maps from the folks at Friedhelm Merz Verlag. Work is in progress to complete maps and booth numbers.
ETA 2: I incorporated the data from Friedhelm Merz Verlag into the map. New versions of the images have been uploaded.
ETA 3: New versions uploaded, with the small booths numbered. This will be the last uploads before the final version.

ETA 4: It's done! ESSEN IST FERTIG!
ETA 5: Added the A4 version and a slight correction in the Hall 3 map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Re: Hall Plans 2014 - Detailed Maps ==Work in Progress==.
Hall 4 will also be used at Spiel 2014, in case you didn't know.

Oh, and I greatly appreciated the maps for Spiel 2013. I printed out many copies, taped them to the table at the BGG booth, and passed out extras to other BGG staffers. I was fine with the icons, and I'm not sure what to suggest in terms of a better or more readable alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James, the hall maps have arrived! meeple

For me, this is one of the pre-Essen holy trinity, together with the preview geeklist and the math trade (although it seems to be just the auction this year).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those maps were awesome, thanks for making them again!

I remember that I printed the map of hall 3 spread over 2 A4 pages and I think that required a tiny amount of additional effort. Maybe you could provide a version of hall 3 that comes cut in half and ready to be printed over 2 pages, that would be great :)

As for the icons, I didn't use those at all. I only used the booth numbers to look things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Åge Låstad
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this yet another year. I always use your maps for Spiel, keep up the good work!

Think this should be pinned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Hartmann
Germany
Osnabrück
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I used them on the last fair for my first time and it was great to find everything very fast. I highlighted all my favourites and that was a great idea. I think you did that map very well last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
Pre-order 13 Ghosts today!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for doing this. It helped us a lot last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Rasmusson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Yes... I'm choo-chooing to buy board games!
badge
The bird is the word!
mbmbmbmbmb
I´m joining in with the rest of the choir... These maps are awesome!

Deserves GeekGold for sure!thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for your kind words, thumbs and geekgold. thumbsup

W Eric Martin wrote:

Oh dear. That will mess up my current page layout. Do you know whether it's the whole hall 4 or just a part of it?

So the booth number for Unplugged in the preview list wasn't a typo.

cuazzel wrote:
I remember that I printed the map of hall 3 spread over 2 A4 pages and I think that required a tiny amount of additional effort. Maybe you could provide a version of hall 3 that comes cut in half and ready to be printed over 2 pages, that would be great

I'll see what I can do. I forget that not everyone has easy access to an A3 printer like I do. With the added trouble of having to fit in hall 4 while still trying to keep the correct positional relations, I may have to find another solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
Turku, Finland / Boston, MA, USA
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Any chance of a http://www.pocketmod.com/ version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
DukeOfEarl wrote:
W Eric Martin wrote:

Oh dear. That will mess up my current page layout. Do you know whether it's the whole hall 4 or just a part of it?

So the booth number for Unplugged in the preview list wasn't a typo.

I'm afraid not. I'm guessing that Hall 4 is the new Hall 7, filled with all the latecomers and newbies that hadn't reserved a spot during Spiel 2013, so its size will probably be fixed only closer to the fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a very useful resource as a first timer last year. Thanks for doing again. As for the icons they helped when I was at home planning & highlighting areas of interest. My real issue when I was there was the booth number layout at the show seemed to have no logical progression. Nothing you can do about that unfortunately
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LudiCreations wrote:
Any chance of a http://www.pocketmod.com/ version?

I don't quite see the added value, to be honest. My main aim with my maps was always to end up with a double-sided A3 sheet. A booklet would run contrary to this idea and probably necessitate a lot of re-designing. Or maybe I'm not quite getting what you mean.

morti wrote:
My real issue when I was there was the booth number layout at the show seemed to have no logical progression. Nothing you can do about that unfortunately

Tell me about it! The way they have numbered the booths must have been devised by Azathoth himself. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news, everyone!

On a hunch, I contacted the folks at Friedhelm Merz Verlag. They sent me the current maps for ALL the halls. thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Of course there are no exhibitors listed, and they did note that this is still subject to change, but awesome anyway!

I'll update my current maps and upload new versions shortly. Watch this space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Steinberger
Germany
Taunusstein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for all that work you are putting into this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've edited the OP to show the latest version of the map. Several publishers with booths larger than 10m² have been included. Also, the booth numbers and outlines reflect the data I got from Merz Verlag.

I also managed to cram Hall 4 in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Åge Låstad
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably have a better list than mine, but maybe there are some publishers you dont know yet on this list here:
2014 List of booths

This is in no way an official list, just boothnumbers I have been digging up here on the geek and on publishers websites etc. I will keep adding to it as I find more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Rudolph
Canada
Langdon
Alberta
flag msg tools
GIR, quickly, ride the pig!
badge
Yaaaaaay! I don't know what you just said!
mbmbmbmb
Love the maps so far - they'll be really handy for my first trip there. The only thing I'd suggest is putting the hall names on each section of the map (under the area for example) so we know what we're looking at. The arrows help understand what's adjacent to it but it'd be nice to know what we're actually looking at as well, especially as you're hastily flipping through maps to figure out where a booth is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Traitor76 wrote:
You probably have a better list than mine, but maybe there are some publishers you dont know yet on this list here:
2014 List of booths

This is in no way an official list, just boothnumbers I have been digging up here on the geek and on publishers websites etc. I will keep adding to it as I find more.

This is very useful, thank you. So far I got most of my info from the spielbox online website, complemented by the SPIEL geeklist.

Arkeas wrote:
Love the maps so far - they'll be really handy for my first trip there. The only thing I'd suggest is putting the hall names on each section of the map (under the area for example) so we know what we're looking at. The arrows help understand what's adjacent to it but it'd be nice to know what we're actually looking at as well, especially as you're hastily flipping through maps to figure out where a booth is.

I'll do that, thank you for the suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
Turku, Finland / Boston, MA, USA
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
DukeOfEarl wrote:
This is very useful, thank you. So far I got most of my info from the spielbox online website, complemented by the SPIEL geeklist.

Careful, as Spielbox may have incomplete / obsolete information. We had Merz email us to confirm something because they saw some information on Spielbox that differed from what we told Merz. Spielbox possibly got their information partly from the BGG list, when it was first posted, and some things have changed since then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LudiCreations wrote:
Careful, as Spielbox may have incomplete / obsolete information. We had Merz email us to confirm something because they saw some information on Spielbox that differed from what we told Merz. Spielbox possibly got their information partly from the BGG list, when it was first posted, and some things have changed since then.

It is of course entirely possible, even probable, that some info on my "work in progress" maps is erroneous. Heck, even the Merz Verlag lady said that the maps they sent me are unofficial and subject to change.

I do not know where Spielbox gets their info, but they have a lot more booth numbers than the BGG list does.

As a contrary example, BGG lists Argentum Verlag as being in booth 3-E107, which does not exist in the maps I got...

In any case, I will adapt the maps as soon as the official maps have been published. I only use the Spielbox info to prepare the bulk of the work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
Pre-order 13 Ghosts today!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alain,

There is a small error on the Hall 1 plan. I'm surprised Merz Verlag sent it like that to you. The plan they sent me yesterday has is as it should be:

Apart from 1-D137 (demo area) Artipia Games is also at Booth 1-D141 (cash register) BUT, booth 1-D141 should be where 1-D139 currently is. In other words booths 1-D139 and 1-D141 should swap positions. I have no idea why they did this, but thats how its actually going to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3pod wrote:
Alain,

There is a small error on the Hall 1 plan. I'm surprised Merz Verlag sent it like that to you. The plan they sent me yesterday has is as it should be:

Apart from 1-D137 (demo area) Artipia Games is also at Booth 1-D141 (cash register) BUT, booth 1-D141 should be where 1-D139 currently is. In other words booths 1-D139 and 1-D141 should swap positions. I have no idea why they did this, but thats how its actually going to be.

Thank you Konstantinos.

I rechecked and indeed, I copied them wrong. I guess I trusted the logical numbering of the booths (silly me...)

I'll swap the booths on the next update I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
DukeOfEarl wrote:
As a contrary example, BGG lists Argentum Verlag as being in booth 3-E107, which does not exist in the maps I got...

That's the booth number that Roman Mathar at Argentum sent to me. He later sent a corrected booth number, and I've changed the listing in BGG's Spiel 2014 Preview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the small booths and the icons, I think I'm going to try a different approach.

I made a mockup here:

Is this usable or is the old one better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.