Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sébastien Patry
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The title pretty much sums up the idea i had this morning.

What about a house rule that lets runners go on an abort round whenever someone goes staggered, instead of waiting for someone to go critical ?

My group found the game too hard. We played one demo mission and two Crossfire missions and 2 / 4 players felt the missions were impossible, in part due to punishing crossfire cards and 2 dmg obstacles.

When i told them i thougth the game was MEANT to be lost then aborted 5 times in a row to accumulate 5 karma points they got almost hysterical, saying it was bad design.

So, in order to make getting those first 5 karma a little smoother, why not let players abort a little easier if they so choose ? 1) on theme, it makes sense for runners to abort if they feel they can never overcome the obstacles. 2) mechanicaly, it would feel a little less like cheating then giving everyone "free karma". You would get 1 karma if your abort was successfull, like the rules say. Games would be shorter. Those 5 first games would be a little less depressing, players would feel more in control even when they abort. If they get lucky and win, then good for them.

I can predict the main counter argument : players who like to "game the system" would not play a single card, let themselves go staggered then abort and after 5 times essentialy get 5 free karma. I have no problem with that, since they could just as easily grab as many upgrade stickers as they want anyway and use them, as the rules dont discourage that. Nothing says you cant start with 20 karma on your guy as is. If players choose to play mock up first rounds, it boils down to the same thing as free karma.

What do you guys think ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
I think house rules are awful in general.

Like gamers always know better, not quite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pope
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
I expected it to have such a player option when I first heard about being able to abort. After reading the rules, I realized it was more of a last desperate round to salvage some Karma.

I think it's a good house rule and makes sense if you want to use it. Easy to implement, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chessie Zecat
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My experience with this game has been 'This shit needs some tweaks'. After no less than ten plays, this opinion hasn't changed. Our solution was 1 karma for a play, win or lose, 2 for a successful abort, and 3 for a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would encourage people not to give up too early. A Stagger is often recoverable. The game is winnable at over a 50% rate even with zero karma, and I feel like encouraging people to give up and take the easy way out, effectively scumming for easy boards, just lets people coast by without ever learning the game. It's NOT meant to make you abort. It's meant to make you earn your win through clever play and a bit of luck.

How much of a badass do you feel like when you win with half your team staggered, just barely pulling through? Why rob yourself of that?

That said, you should play how it's fun for you. If this makes the game more enjoyable for you then more power to ya. Just because I don't understand it doesn't mean it's "bad" or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Callender
United States
anderson
IN
flag msg tools
I seconded the above the idea that you have to get 5 aborts to get that first upgrade is silly. Starting runners with knowledge of the rules shou win at least half the time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ritch Lizarraga
Brazil
Campinas
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today we played the Crossfire Mission twice. First time we went really bad and aborted successfully during second scene. Second time we played way, way better, but everyone was killed by the very last (super hard) obstacle. So, we got 1 karma for a poor run and got nothing for an almost epic run. I understand the "thematic" reason for that - the second time we "died" (and perhaps next time we'll "load last saved game" and try again, so, no karma). Then we thought that between scenes we could have the option to choose to "abort" after evaluating that we won't be able to finish the job, and get the experience (1 karma).
My point is, if you screw things up early (first or second scene) there's a good chance to abort and get the karma, but if you do well and get to the third scene, abort would be really hard. Seems weird. I understand people losing on purpose. I don't think the abort rule was a really well though design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Simpson
msg tools
unfigson wrote:
Today we played the Crossfire Mission twice. First time we went really bad and aborted successfully during second scene. Second time we played way, way better, but everyone was killed by the very last (super hard) obstacle. So, we got 1 karma for a poor run and got nothing for an almost epic run. I understand the "thematic" reason for that - the second time we "died" (and perhaps next time we'll "load last saved game" and try again, so, no karma). Then we thought that between scenes we could have the option to choose to "abort" after evaluating that we won't be able to finish the job, and get the experience (1 karma).
My point is, if you screw things up early (first or second scene) there's a good chance to abort and get the karma, but if you do well and get to the third scene, abort would be really hard. Seems weird. I understand people losing on purpose. I don't think the abort rule was a really well though design.

I've house-ruled in that 'voluntary abort between scenes' for much this reason; once you've handled the end of Scene events (healing, bin CF card, shop being the normal ones), you can assess the situation and decide to abort straight away for 1 Karma (assuming your mission type allows aborts). You must decide to abort before drawing obstacles/CF cards for the new Scene (no seeing that you've got a bad draw and deciding to get out).

It makes sense to me thematically that a runner team could decide to bug out if the early Scenes go against them; maybe the Johnson lied to them about the mission details...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.