GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,609 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » Variants

Subject: 1v2 Boss Battle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I had an idea for something of a narrative battle against a beefed up Boss character. Two players would have their mages as usual and the third player would play the Boss, in this case I just picked Adramalech.

Set up two boards in a T formation and have the Boss be in his 4x4 "castle" at the foot of the T with two walls set up before play. The Boss himself is a creature card with the Life and Quick Cast and spells of a Mage. For this scenario I'm giving Adramalech the Life trait of the Arraxian Crown Warlock, access to all the Dark and Fire spells not in the books of the other mages, and infinite Mana. Boss starts with Initiative and then you just cycle from there. The two Mages are trying to take down the Lord of Fire, and Adramalech is trying to crush the puny mages who dare assault his keep.

What do you all think? I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, so I'm sure there are issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Any thoughts or critiques? What do you guys think of allowing Adramelech to spellbind any non-Epic Fire Attack to either of his hands? This would make him drop his scythe and its attacks, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think coming up with a variant where you can use any creature as a mage would be pretty cool, but I think more needs to go into it than what you've listed. It might not even be possible to make it balanced. Permanent flying in particular gives me pause. And that's just talking about balancing out the creature idea. Throwing in the concept of 1 vs many (which Arcane Wonders is working on themselves) adds a whole other can of worms that I don't think you've adequately addressed. Infinite mana is not the right approach in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
The point of the variant was to kinda come up with a co-op experience against a souped up opponent, but your critiques are fair, I haven't tried it so I don't know. Any specific issues you can think of, or do you think it needs to be tried to see?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you wanting it to be co-op or 1 vs many? I haven't given too much thought to either type of variant, but if you're wanting co-op there are a few other attempts at such a thing in this forum (I'm not going to attempt suggestions for it). If you are wanting 1 vs many, I think the main issue facing the lonely mage is that of action shortage. You probably do need to beef up his Life and channeling as well, but those aren't his main problems and infinite mana definitely is not the way I would go.

One possible solution may be to simply give his mage extra action markers, so that his mage can act multiple times during a round (Probably increase the size of his spellbook to compensate as well). That's probably the simplest solution that I can think of, though I'm certain that other more creative ways could be found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Well I want a co-op, but it's really hard to automate an NPC in this game so I just gave it to another player. Kinda like the scenarios in Sentinels Tactics.

I went with infinite mana so that the Andramelech player could set up his infrastructure before the mages get to him. I was thinking the creatures could help make up for the action deficit. Also I worry that if he got extra Quickcasts or something that some pretty broken combos could result, like if someone could push you through a Thornwall three times on one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Infinite mana seems really heavy handed, stripping out a large component of the game in the resource management department, and yet still would probably be inadequate in my opinion. Even if you are summoning a level 4 creature every round, your opponent's summoning two level 2 creatures each round would amount to greater benefit. No matter how much mana you have, your opponents' ability to use twice the actions and produce twice the infrastructure as you can will see you being overwhelmed.

If you don't like the idea of extra Action Markers (with or without extra Quick Cast Markers as well) then I'm sure you could come up with other solutions. Perhaps he can Deploy a creature each round in the same zone he's in, or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.