United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the blurb on this page on what this will do and, at least for me, it would add a bunch of chaos and changes the soul of the game.

It takes away the excitement of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree, Gary. But there's no telling what will attract people. For example, one of my buddies likes playing Can't Stop with a variant where you can't end your turn if one of your pieces is on top of an opponent's in a row. I hate it, as it adds what to me is an unnecessary restriction that detracts from the strategy, but there you have it. I guess some folks like to add frills to a game where you and I think that its purity is its strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentlemen,

I greatly respect your right to speculate; however, I would hope you could at least wait for a review before pronouncing judgement!

To be honest, your question "is this necessary" was also my first reaction as well. To my surprise, once I began playing it I found that although it adds a very small amount of set up time to mix and place the tiles, the game still plays in about the same time and is a lot of fun. It is not as random as you apparently suspect and does provide some interesting decisions to make.

Can't Stop is an excellent game and we believe this expansion adds a nice twist for a change of pace with the game. And we hope, for some, it may even be their favorite way of playing. As Larry says, not everyone is a purist!

Roll with it and take a chance!

best
Ralph
edit to correct a small typo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what was written in the description, I know how it will play. It isn't like Can't Stop is a deep and complicated game to play. It's pretty easy to envision how tiles on each spot will work with the description listed. Adding it makes it a different game, a "take-that" dice game with damn near the randomess (or chaos, I should say) of Fluxx.

Yes, I get it, some will like it and think it's the greatest thing.

To me, it's a money grab. Completists will want this, even if they don't play it.

It's not a matter of purity, the game isn't Can't Stop with this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
To be completely clear, I don't think it's a money grab or that there's anything morally wrong with releasing this game. I hope it's a big hit for Eagle. I just strongly suspect that it isn't for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
Adding it makes it a different game, a "take-that" dice game with damn near the randomess (or chaos, I should say) of Fluxx.

So my wife and I got to try this at FalCon this weekend and this is as far from the truth as one can get.

If anything it takes a simple push your luck dice fest and adds some strategy along with more meaningful choices each game.

Firstly it doesn't bring a single "take that" mechanic to the table so that was absolutely off base.

While the uncovering of each tile is indeed random this is completely overshadowed by the additional control brought to the table in the form of the chits you collect which allow you manipulate your dice after rolling them.

Adding a way to adjust dice and change the outcomes of completely random rolls is almost never a bad thing in a dice chucker and this is no exception.

While the tiles that stay open on the board do combine in ways that can move cones around, rather than more luck this winds up adding more interesting choices overall.

This factors into deciding which columns to enter, which ones to continue when given the choice, and most importantly gives a clear risk/reward incentive to push your luck or quit in certain cases because the tiles are only triggered when you stop on them. So as the game goes on and more tiles are open you can clearly see the lay of the land. You know where stopping will be a hindrance and when you really want/need to climb further to either safety or a square that offers a boon. So this adds more risk/reward factors to consider beyond just the progress you've made.

Not to mention the decisions of when and where to use the chits that allow you to change your dice, and having new incentives to go after certain areas just to uncover new tiles and gain more of those dice manipulation tiles.

Amazingly enough it doesn't significantly add to down time or game length which was my immediate concern as it was being explained. Since just as many tiles will push you forward as back that's a wash, and because of the dice manipulation chits you can often push your luck further which balances the extra time spent considering them.

Even if you hate all the other elements just the introduction of the dice manipulation chits is an absolute revelation and worth the purchase of this mini expansion alone.

bop517 wrote:
It's not a matter of purity, the game isn't Can't Stop with this expansion

If another publisher had released this as a different game people would have been up in arms about stealing from another designer and not giving credit where due. It would have been instantly recognized as Can't Stop With a Twist. Not only does it still feel like Can't Stop, I honestly can't imagine ever going back to playing it vanilla again. My first thought after playing was that I really hope they release a digital expansion for the mobile version because because I'm going to be sorely missing it.

bop517 wrote:
To me, it's a money grab. Completists will want this, even if they don't play it.

It's just two 6" square punchboards and a comes in a plastic zip lock bag! It's clearly produced to be made available very affordably. If it was a money grab it would be a boxed expansion with molded plastic tiles and other doodads to justify a higher price tag, and you don't produce a money grab in a format that many stores won't even stock. (many Brick & Mortar stores won't even stock bagged items like this) If anything I'm betting we'll see it in the geek store since Eagle Gryphon stuff seems to be very well represented there already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Can't Stop: Mario Kart. And for some people this expansion will liven up what they perceive is a straightforward one-gimmick game, and for others it will destroy the fun of the original game. Plain and simple.

I'm sure this expansion will find its audience. It's just not me. And that's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Gig Harbor
WASHINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, I would buy Can't Stop: Mario Kart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is now in the geekstore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.