Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Revealing held card options rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JIM SMITH
United States
California
flag msg tools
While considered a tournament rule, in my games we like to reveal the held card to show that we're not holding any scoring ones. What can I say, we like rules.

What we do though is we cover the card with our hands and show just the bottom of the card where the text "may not be held" would be visible if we're holding a scoring card. This prevents us from seeing what the card actually is, but also proves we're not holding a scoring card. Ok, that's nice.

However, it does show whether you're holding a starred event or not. We don't consider this a big deal, though I'm just curious if anyone has some thoughts about how you can show you don't have a scoring card, but also don't get away *any* information about what card is being held.

Thoughts? and thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, it's no longer deemed to be a tournament only rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
jim90808 wrote:
While considered a tournament rule, in my games we like to reveal the held card to show that we're not holding any scoring ones. What can I say, we like rules.

What we do though is we cover the card with our hands and show just the bottom of the card where the text "may not be held" would be visible if we're holding a scoring card. This prevents us from seeing what the card actually is, but also proves we're not holding a scoring card. Ok, that's nice.

However, it does show whether you're holding a starred event or not. We don't consider this a big deal, though I'm just curious if anyone has some thoughts about how you can show you don't have a scoring card, but also don't get away *any* information about what card is being held.

Thoughts? and thanks!

This is the way I've always done it at WBC and sometimes casually as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Barnhart
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I've never done the "show card" rule. I just assume we are both following the rules. No problem with it, just have never done it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
positivelyrob wrote:
Interesting. I've never done the "show card" rule. I just assume we are both following the rules. No problem with it, just have never done it.

For me, it depends on if I'm playing someone who also plays in/has played in a tournament. I ignore it oftentimes in casual play as well, but I think Lawcomic was saying that a player who wishes to use the policy should get his way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the designers posted a couple of months ago that the reveal is now considered part of the normal rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Martin
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
positivelyrob wrote:

That's the only way I play TS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:

For me, it depends on if I'm playing someone who also plays in/has played in a tournament. I ignore it oftentimes in casual play as well, but I think Lawcomic was saying that a player who wishes to use the policy should get his way.

I haven't ever played in a tournament...yet. And, in casual games with non-newbies, I tend to ignore this rule and just assume no one is cheating. But, you are right, if someone pushed it, they'd be within their rights to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JIM SMITH
United States
California
flag msg tools
Solved it! I created a "cover" with a small slot/window on each side that will reveal the edges of the scoring card, but still obscures any text (including "Remove from play if used as an event.") on normal cards. I laminated them as well, and cut them to fit my sleeved TS cards. Starting using them today, and they're working well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Barnhart
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. If someone wanted to play that way, I would have no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.