Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan M
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the K-9 Engineering Corps Card:
Handler (Guard Dog) [Action] - Deploy 1 Guard Dog unit in this unit's grid. You cannot use this action again until that unit is killed.

From the Guard Dog Card:
Fortify (1) - [Action] - Add 1 "shield" to 1 unit in his grid. Then remove the acting unit from the game board.

Shield - When a unit with shield markers is hit, it loses a shield marker instead of taking damage.

Question: If a Guard Dog is converted to a Shield Marker, then at what point is the Guard Dog considered "Killed" to satisfy the condition to deploy a new Guard Dog? At the point of conversion? Or at the point of marker removal?

My gut says that when a Shield Marker is removed, then at that point the Guard Dog is considered "killed".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wait...shield marker? what shield marker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look like Wound Markers but are blue and used to mark various Buffs.
Some came packed with Spearhead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'd asked a similar question on CMON forum and not quite sure yet. The current thought is: once the Dog is converted it is assumed dead. Otherwise Blight could cripple the mechanic for the Allies by not destroying the Handler (who is particularly weak).

I would also like to know if there is a limit to the number of shields that ca be played on a unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also wondering is how important it is to "marry" a dog to its handler. I could easily see a situation with the Blight where a dog will separate from the handler and form into a pack with another dog, so if one is killed how do we know which handler is then able to deploy a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question! Sounds like you'll need three custom paint jobs. (Or markers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Nelson
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Decar wrote:

I like this idea. I'd like it more if I could paint worth a damn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decar wrote:

On the way home I was thinking that since both the handler and dog have one HP each - And therefore will not use wound markers, simply putting a wound marker in matching slots on the base would allow handler and dog to be identified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Drew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
This got kinda out of control last night with the beachlanding scenario. I had handlers on both boats and would summon dogs every combat phase and the dogs would instantly "Fortify". So at least one unit moving from the boats every time had a shield marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Dyer
United States
Laurinburg
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Leftnut wrote:
This got kinda out of control last night with the beachlanding scenario. I had handlers on both boats and would summon dogs every combat phase and the dogs would instantly "Fortify". So at least one unit moving from the boats every time had a shield marker.

Where is the beach landing scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bob check out:

http://rivetwars.com/free-scenarios/

First Landing and a mission in the Blitz Campaign both have beach landings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I haven't used the Dogs & Handlers much so far, but my thinking is:

1. Shield tokens are still counted as Dogs.
2. You can't summon a Dog if there are already a number of Dogs/Shields equal to or greater than the number of friendly Handlers currently in play.

This seems to be the cleanest method to track things, and fits with the abstracted nature of the game mechanics.

It also prevents the over-armoring that could happen if the handlers can simply keep summoning dogs and taping them to allied units...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boombastix
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
They playin'
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any official ruling on this yet? I played them for the first time last night and strictly following the card text results in: 1) Guard Dog deploying 2) Instantly turning into a shield 3) Rinse and repeat for the duration of the game.
Doesn't seem right to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls