United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Crossfire effects with the infinity symbol say that they are in effect while "in play", which begs the question is the Crossfire Discard considered to be in play?

On one hand, in 99% of games, the discard pile is usually not considered a play area, except for rare, card text exemptions.

On the other hand, it would make the infinity symbol much less infinite if it were only active while it was the current face-up card.

As such, I think I know the answer to this, but wanted some other opinions, maybe a rules citation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the Crossfire discard is not considered in play.

p.12 wrote:
While the Crossfire event is active, it remains face up and in play. ... As soon as an active Crossfire card goes to the discard, that event's effects no longer apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see anything explicit in the rules, but I think there is an understanding that once a Crossfire card is discarded (i.e. turned into a Crossfire level "token"), it no longer has an effect. The infinity symbol is used here to indicate an ongoing effect as opposed to a one time event (such as making all non-Elves redraw their entire hands...racists. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. I've seen some people who are complaining about difficulty saying they have all these continuous effects going simultaneously. That shouldn't be the case? IE The ongoing part stops as soon as it's discarded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would seem so...in fact there are a handful of Crossfire Event cards that won't even have an effect if the Crossfire level is low enough...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.