Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

My little crew just hit level 3, and they are really good at critter killin'

My question is thus:

My Saloon girl is as follows:

Pursuing the fightin' path she has the spinning kick move. In addition to this she has a cavalry sabre (melee attack + ranged attack in a turn) and a pimped out repeating holdout pistol.

This has me, sabreing a monster, spending a grit to auto dmg 2 dmg to a monster, shooting her free attack with her repeater and then finally making her range attack again with her repeater AND she's getting crits on 5s and 6s with those attacks?

Am I playing her right? Also after the free attacks can she move, or does it mean the move phase is over and now the attacks are happening?

I'm loving playing her this way though, its so much fun!! I just unlocked parry (automatically wound an attacking monster if they roll a 1) and I have eyes on Moxy next (regain a grit when killing a monster on a roll of 5 or 6), her defence and automatic dodge means she never gets hit too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're only allowed to make one Free Attack per turn. And the Hold Out Pistols (repeating or regular) can only be used to do this once per Fight. Also, Free Attacks have to be taken after you Move, either before or after your normal Attack.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
following the rules, you can only make 1 free attack each turn.
if you have several items that give free attacks, you will need to choose which to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well its worth noting that the spinning kick doesn't call itself a free attack, it just says using a grit to do two dmg to an adjacent enemy.

The cavalry sabre, text says you are allowed to make a melee attack in addition to a ranged attack, so the only attack with the key word free attack is the repeating pistol, yet I get the normal melee, normal ranged, ability attack and then the ranged free attack?

Fair enough about only getting the free attack once per fight, but the rest holds true?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't answer the rules question, but I just wanted to say this sounds really awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in that case its all fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot use the repeating hold-out twice. It can only be used once per fight, and only for a free attack. The bonus for the cavalry saber is somewhat wasted on the Saloon girl unless you take the upgrade which allows her to use non-light guns. Or, it does allow you to melee and throw dynamite.

But, as I said, you cannot shoot twice with your hold out pistol in a fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dvang wrote:
You cannot use the repeating hold-out twice. It can only be used once per fight, and only for a free attack. The bonus for the cavalry saber is somewhat wasted on the Saloon girl unless you take the upgrade which allows her to use non-light guns. Or, it does allow you to melee and throw dynamite.

But, as I said, you cannot shoot twice with your hold out pistol in a fight.

Yeah, he's right about the Hold Out Pistol. We made that mistake as well. You can't use it as a normal ranged weapon. It does its Free Attack, and then it's done for that Fight. The same is true of anything that says "Free Attack: " on it.

However, you're welcome to grab yourself a Light Pistol from town and use the saber with that, in addition to the derringer. That's what our saloon girl did.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will posit another query tho: Melee Free Attacks (like the Desert Boots) list a Combat value (in this case 1), but the rules aren't specific as to whether or not all your bonuses stack on it, as they would on a normal attack.

Ranged attacks are entirely specific to the weapon being used, so that's fairly straight forward. But under normal circumstances, Melee weapons' combat buffs all stack together.

It seems odd that a boot-to-the-head Free Attack would benefit from your other weapons, but if it could benefit from other static buffs (like +1 damage to Undead from a Rune socketed into your duster) then it would be arbitrarily inconsistent to say that only your +Combat buffs are ignored.

On the other hand, an extra attack once per Fight with (Total Combat - 1) dice is pretty crazy.

Damn, I gotta get my Preacher some curb-stompers.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All melee bonuses stack with melee attacks unless otherwise specified. Think of it like this, melee is inherently more dangerous by virtue of proximity to enemies. It is therefore slightly biased in order to balance it with ranged attacks. Just like dual wielding melee has no penalty, while duel-wielding ranged attacks has a penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dvang wrote:
All melee bonuses stack with melee attacks unless otherwise specified. Think of it like this, melee is inherently more dangerous by virtue of proximity to enemies. It is therefore slightly biased in order to balance it with ranged attacks. Just like dual wielding melee has no penalty, while duel-wielding ranged attacks has a penalty.

So if a hero has the Raptor Claw (Free Attack once per Fight: 1 Combat - Crits on 4, 5, or 6), and also the Tribal Hatchet/Mining Pick (one in each hand), then once per Fight that Hero can make a Free Attack with all of the below:

a) 2 Combat
......1 Combat Base from the Raptor Claw
....+1 Combat for the Mining Pick

b) +1 Damage on all Hits/Crits from the Tribal Hatchet

c) All Hits will Crit on a 4, 5, or 6 from the Raptor Claw

Is that right? Cause that's pretty awesome.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think that a free attack only uses that item's specific bonuses, while the normal melee attack stacks all bonuses

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with that. Admittedly, I don't have the game yet, and don't know how these cards are worded, but it also seems to me that the crit advantage on the Raptor Claw should apply ONLY to the free attack that comes from the Raptor Claw.

Also, what's the difference between 1 Combat vs. +1 Combat? If the correct wording is posted, then I don't think the Raptor Claw is intended to increase your combat at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
Also, what's the difference between 1 Combat vs. +1 Combat? If the correct wording is posted, then I don't think the Raptor Claw is intended to increase your combat at all.

My understanding is the when you take your 1 regular attack, if you're doing Melee (adjacent opponent), you define the number of dice to roll based on your weapon, item or character's stated Combat (such as 2 Combat) then add any plus adds (+1 Combat) to arrive at the final number of dice to roll.

So an item with "1 Combat" would be used to attack with 1 die. An item with "+1 Combat" adds 1 die to your dice total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
So an item with "1 Combat" would be used to attack with 1 die. An item with "+1 Combat" adds 1 die to your dice total.

So "1 Combat" replaces your default combat skill as printed on your character sheet. That's kind of what I was assuming. I'm also thinking it probably only appears on cards that give you a free attack.

Gear that provides free melee attacks is probably not intended to stack at all with gear that boosts your normal melee attacks, and vice versa. Right? It seems clear that the Raptor Claw does NOT allow you to crit on a 4 or 5 during your normal melee attacks. But, if you are holding the pick, do you roll an extra combat die when you make the free attack with the Raptor Claw? Does the hatchet allow +1 damage on your free Claw attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
SirRoke wrote:

So "1 Combat" replaces your default combat skill as printed on your character sheet. That's kind of what I was assuming. I'm also thinking it probably only appears on cards that give you a free attack.

Gear that provides free melee attacks is probably not intended to stack at all with gear that boosts your normal melee attacks, and vice versa. Right? It seems clear that the Raptor Claw does NOT allow you to crit on a 4 or 5 during your normal melee attacks. But, if you are holding the pick, do you roll an extra combat die when you make the free attack with the Raptor Claw? Does the hatchet allow +1 damage on your free Claw attack?

Yeah, that's exactly my query. If it doesn't work that way, then the rules need to be appended or clarified because it would be inconsistent with how Melee works in general. You would expect a +1 Damage Rune that's been socketted into your Duster to affect Hits generated by Free Attacks, so it stands to reason that other passive bonuses from your currently equipped items - such as +Combat - would also affect that attack.

Truth be told, there aren't a lot of Melee weapons that give you straight +Combat, without some other caveat or requirement (like Holy for the Iron Cross). Without your base Combat to beef a Melee attack, a once-per-fight Free Attack with a 1 Combat base + other passives - that requires adjacency to have any effect - is good, but I don't think it's game-breaking.

I'm playing it this way unless otherwise ruled, officially or otherwise.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.