Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Pyuredeadbrilliant [+] [View All]
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A bunch of us in our group (primordialgroup.co.uk) have been mulling over the idea of trying to set up some kind of convention in Glasgow.

The thinking was that it would be a one off, or if successful annual event. It would be open to all and free or nominal (£2?) entry. The idea would be to bring together existing gamers in and around Glasgow and to try and get some curious non-gamers along to try the hobby out. Would look to find a venue that sells beer, but also that is child friendly for any families (that includes mine). Say from 10am until maybe midnight.

November seemed a good date. Partly to allow for planning. Partly as this will be a chance for those of us who are already Geeks to bring along our Essen games, or try those others have acquired. We have a group of 10 going this year so will have a pretty big haul.

Venue will depend very much on demand. I think from our group and associated friends we should be able to muster at least 50.

What do people think? Does it sound like a good idea? Would you or any friends come along? Are there other groups out there who would want to get involved at this embryonic stage?

[edit: question mark removed from header]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wright
Denmark
Ebeltoft
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Glasgow Games Con?
Sounds like a great idea, especially post-Essen.

PM me. I ran four in Edinburgh with some friends. I could give you the benefit of our experiences. We had 70 to upwards of 100 depending on the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ross
Scotland
Motherwell
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent idea, the guys who run the Bolton all-dayer get an excellent attendance at theirs. They use a church hall with a bar as a venue which is more than able to cope with the large numbers. I suppose another consideration to bear in mind will be parking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea and I'm pretty certain that most of our small group would attend.

Dicecon used to be run in the Central Hotel but that was before it changed hands so I'm not sure if it'd still be financially viable. The big draw for that con was that it ran the Settlers of Catan local qualifier and, I think, the prize was an expenses paid trip to Essen for the World Championship. I suspect that Ellis Simpson, who used to organise it, was subsidising that though. My guess is that something like that won't be on offer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forsaken One
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested depending on the day it's on. There is a lack of gaming cons in Scotland. (I know there's a couple but they seem to be wargame focussed.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian B
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
The truth is a lemon meringue!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great plan. You should certainly speak to Nick, the Unplugged events he was involved in running were awesome and a great example of how to run an event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McDonald
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey Nick,

I would be happy to help in some sort of way, at Glasgow Caledonian University(I work there) have helped to run a bunch of Video Game events(Game Jams, Talks etc) so a boardgame event would be down our street.

Please let me know if there is anything that would help.

Thanks,
Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Robson
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
Available from www.spielmaterial.de
badge
Got a light, mate?
mbmbmbmbmb
BigBearScot wrote:
I would be happy to help in some sort of way, at Glasgow Caledonian University (I work there) have helped to run a bunch of Video Game events(Game Jams, Talks etc) so a boardgame event would be down our street.Brian

The last DiceCon West that Gordon and Fraser Lamont organised was held at Glasgow Caledonian University (it was a large open area on the ground floor ... with cafe facilities) - Jon Sykes was involved in helping with the arrangements.

I'd be more than happy to travel to a central Glasgow venue (as long as the date suited).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaheen Savarnejad
Scotland
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers would love to get involved, this sounds great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Duffy
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unplugged Games Club is happy to help in any way we can!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The enthusiasm for this is great and makes me determined to try and make it happen.

Only thing I wonder is - we're gonna need a bigger boat?

Venues I have considered at the moment are: Hillhead Sports Club (Hughenden rugby). We can get whole day and evening Sunday for under £200. It's pretty good for bus and train access despite being West End. They can fit 100+ depending on table setup. I need to discuss this as their standard is big circular wedding tables that wouldn't really work for gaming. Also considering upstairs at Drygate Brewery. Close to High St station and loads of parking. Not yet got any info from them on cost and capacity. As mentioned the Dicecon venue of Central Hotel has changed hands. It looks much nicer but they now want stupid money

Any other ideas on venues. Cost obviously crucial.

As an aside had toyed with the idea of a Kickstarter to gauge numbers and possibly gather some cash. Could have 3 levels.
Curious - free but fairly committed to turning up.
Enthusiast - keen to see it happen £2
Benefactor - happy to pledge extra money just to help the project come to fruition. You choose. £5,£20,whatever.

Good idea or bad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyMagic wrote:

Any other ideas on venues. Cost obviously crucial.

As an aside had toyed with the idea of a Kickstarter to gauge numbers and possibly gather some cash. Could have 3 levels.
Benefactor - happy to pledge extra money just to help the project come to fruition. You choose. £5,£20,whatever.

Good idea or bad?

As already mentioned the last Dicecon was held at GCU and was an excellent space with plenty of facilities easily to hand. Sadly it was held on a gloriously sunny day during the last Euro's so attendance wasn't too good (not a problem you'll face in November in Glasgow). They used to charge £5 for entrance and that didn't seem to put anyone off.

Kickstarter/Indigogo might be a good idea and you can certainly put me down at the "Benefactor" level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

GCU certainly sounds worth checking out. I'll ask Brian McDonald and/or Jon Sykes about it. Can obviously ask them direct as well. £5 is a bit more than I was hoping we would need to charge, particularly if trying to entice non-gamers to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Duffy
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you just thinking of a big open gaming session? Would you be looking to run any other stuff alongside it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Throwing our interest into the ring. I'm sure we can help out with something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyMagic wrote:

Good idea or bad?

Bad. You'll lose a significant chunk of that money in fees, and you can't have a zero-level pledge anyway - the minimum is £1. You're much better off trying to spread the word via the hobby shops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitton
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree it's a great idea. We are long overdue a Con event and I would be glad to attend. Might be worth pinging a note around other gaming socs (GUGS etc.) and stores to drum up support and avoid clashes with other events (if possible).
Glasgow Whisky Festival is Saturday 15th Nov. so there's the first (selfish) suggestion of a date to avoidwhistle
Coming up with the venue is the main challenge. GCU was a good venue. Should try for something central if we can.
Good luck ! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

GCU is looking like a pretty favourable venue. Brian McDonald is going to make enquiries. I guess it will all come down to cost.

Jedit wrote:
Bad. You'll lose a significant chunk of that money in fees, and you can't have a zero-level pledge anyway - the minimum is £1. You're much better off trying to spread the word via the hobby shops.

Fair point. The cut from KS and payment manager is not too bad, the lack of a zero pledge is more of a blow.

I was really looking for a way to achieve a couple of things
A - Get an idea of numbers, even if the event was free to most attendees. Free or very low cost seems to me an important aspect if attracting non-gamers
B - Allow keen gamers to provide some support to help the event happen, and see exactly how much this support was so that it could be used to work out what venue could be booked
(C - More of a bonus, and only relevant if charging entry. An easy way to manage ticket pre-sales)

I suppose Facebook would allow A) but has the issues that - there is no incentive to commit to a 'Yes' ahead of time, and many people don't use Facebook.

What I really want to avoid is planning for a certain venue and then finding we are woefully under sized. Or shelling out big bugs for a better venue and being horribly out of pocket.

If GCU can offer a space that is flexible with capacity and at a reasonable price then a lot of this may be academic.

Another helpful suggestion has been a staggered entry price. Keen gamers could pay a couple of quid to come along from doors opening to maximise game time, whereas curious non-gamers could turn up later if they wanted to get in for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
osaekomi wrote:
Are you just thinking of a big open gaming session? Would you be looking to run any other stuff alongside it?

Had conceived an open gaming session. As mentioned hope to attract non-gamers including families, and try and facilitate their enjoyment with volunteer game advisers and rule teachers.

Hadn't planned any specific events but open to suggestions. Might avoid tournaments as dont want to give the impression that competing is a major aspect of the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas MacIntyre
Scotland
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
I attack the darkness...
badge
Please Wait....
mbmbmbmb
Is it worth reaching out to the other clubs and see if you can find some links across all the clubs? Board gaming does tend to have a few fairly separate groups across Glasgow and the surrounding areas.. would be nice to see who everyone is and not seem like any walls are going up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaheen Savarnejad
Scotland
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconding this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowruin wrote:
Is it worth reaching out to the other clubs and see if you can find some links across all the clubs? Board gaming does tend to have a few fairly separate groups across Glasgow and the surrounding areas.. would be nice to see who everyone is and not seem like any walls are going up.

I am very keen to involve anybody and everybody who might be interested in such an event. Posting here seemed the best way to start getting some early feedback from local gamers and groups at the conception stage.

Was going to contact as many groups as possible once something more concrete was set up. This seemed a good list -
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/user?uid=21118075948970272196...

Of course if anybody has suggestions of people or groups I should contact now who have not already joined the conversation, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Duffy
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We could probably do intros to Magic if anyone's coming along who hasn't played, and I've run an introductory Fate Core game in about an hour before using mostly-pre-generated characters. Assuming I can make it along, I'd be happy to break it out again if anyone's interested.

I'd also spoken briefly to Brian on Twitter about whether any of his students might be interested in a meetup for aspiring game designers - might be a chance to look at something like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Duncan
United Kingdom
East Kilbride
South Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
www.gameburst.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great idea, will keep an eye on where and when
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Wilson
England
DARLINGTON
Co Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Would you be looking for trade attendance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.