Elder Sign: Unseen Forces» Forums » Rules

Subject: Blessed or cursed investigator being devoured. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I have a question which I can't find an answer on in the rules.

I had a solo game against Yig (I'm not experienced enough to try a more difficult one) and my investigator was cursed because of the lingering effect of a mythos card, causing me to get cursed at midnight. At the same midnight the new mythos card told me to roll a green die. If the die was showing a terror result, which couldn't be affected, then I would be devoured.

What happens with the black or white die and the blessed/cursed card if an investigator is blessed or cursed and then being devoured? What is discarder in what case, and what is not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0616william wrote:
I have a question which I can't find an answer on in the rules.

I had a solo game against Yig (I'm not experienced enough to try a more difficult one) and my investigator was cursed because of the lingering effect of a mythos card, causing me to get cursed at midnight. At the same midnight the new mythos card told me to roll a green die. If the die was showing a terror result, which couldn't be affected, then I would be devoured.

What happens with the black or white die and the blessed/cursed card if an investigator is blessed or cursed and then being devoured? What is discarder in what case, and what is not?
As the Investigator that was Blessed or Cursed no longer exists (having been Devoured) the Card and the Dice are returned to the supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I was counting on that answer, because I also saw it that way. But I still expected it to be mentioned in the rules specifically, especially in a ruleset made by Fantasy Flight Games. Their rules are OK if it's about the simple big rules. Their weaker points, however, are multiple more detailed rules that conflict with each other, including with the wording, and neglecting to mention other detailed rules, like this one for example.

Another example of a rule not specifically clarified is what to do with monster markers that are discarded. The rules say that you return them to the monster cup after you spend them as trophies, but that was not described as discarding. In the same game, there was an effect on a unique item (I believe) that made an adventure card to be replaced, along with all monster markers on it, which would be discarded. But what did I have to do then? After spending trophies, I return monsters to the cup (actually a bag), but this time I set the monster aside, because it wasn't a trophy that I spend or lost; I only replaced the adventure. Maybe I should have returned it to the bag and it would be an obvious thing to do, but I just think that if they make rules for a game, they should not forget about the details, allthough returning a monster to the bag in this case would be the only action making some sense.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Remember that there are eight Blessing/Curse cards, even though there is only one white and one black die. The blessed/cursed investigator does not "own" the white/black die, he/she just gets to roll it when attempting an Adventure. Further, the blessing/curse affects the investigator, and not the player. When the investigator is devoured, the player draws a new investigator, who is completely "reset" as though starting a new game.

2. I return monsters to the cup anytime I spend them as trophies, or remove them without "defeating" them (e.g., using a spell that removes the adventure and all monsters on it).

Have fun with the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.