Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Yes, you can totally do that!
Thanks. I like that a lot better than how I was playing previously. I'm finding using colored dice works really well for tracking.

And another area of flexibility I like is that you can change where you want to play cards after playing. So, for example, if you play a card to an obstacle that allows you to draw another card, and based on that card you decide you want to play all these cards to a different obstacle, you can do that. I'm so happy for that rule as it'd be much less fun to have to commit cards before you saw all that you had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Yes, you can totally do that!
Great! Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin G
United States
Weehawken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for asking this question this clarification is key !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
Banker Of The Gods
badge
Designed Banker Of The Gods
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to play my first game tonight.

I see that the designer, Sean, confirmed that damage from your cards create a pool. If you have 2 obstacle in front of you can left-over from that pool against one obstacle be used on the other obstacle?
E.G. First obstacle requires 6 colorless mana to kill it. Your total pool against it is 8. The second obstacle's 1st level is 2 colorless. Can that left-over 2 be used to take-out the 1st level of the second obstacle or that extra 2 is gone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer:

Damage is tied to cards, and cards are assigned to obstacles. A card's damage cannot be split between obstacles, but it can be rearranged.

If all 8 damage was from one card: NO you cannot assign it to another obstacle. If 6 damage was from one card, and 2 from a second card: YES, you could assign the second card to the second obstacle.

How I organize a turn:

First: you play cards, completing each one's abilities (not damage) one at a time.

Second: (once you're completely done playing cards) you assign each card to an obstacle. All the cards assigned to an obstacle add their damage to its "pool". It doesn't matter if the obstacle is in front of you or another runner.

Third: you decide how/what order that damage is dealt. Easiest way to do this is to just count the total damage in the pool, and the total needed to clear levels of the obstacle's damage track, then make sure you have enough of each color to match where needed.

Cards/Damage Pools CANNOT be shared between obstacles, except for cards like Roomsweeper that explicitly damage multiple obstacles at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
Banker Of The Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
graven2002 wrote:
Short answer:

Damage is tied to cards, and cards are assigned to obstacles. A card's damage cannot be split between obstacles, but it can be rearranged.

If all 8 damage was from one card: NO you cannot assign it to another obstacle. If 6 damage was from one card, and 2 from a second card: YES, you could assign the second card to the second obstacle.

How I organize a turn:

First: you play cards, completing each one's abilities (not damage) one at a time.

Second: (once you're completely done playing cards) you assign each card to an obstacle. All the cards assigned to an obstacle add their damage to its "pool". It doesn't matter if the obstacle is in front of you or another runner.

Third: you decide how/what order that damage is dealt. Easiest way to do this is to just count the total damage in the pool, and the total needed to clear levels of the obstacle's damage track, then make sure you have enough of each color to match where needed.

Cards/Damage Pools CANNOT be shared between obstacles, except for cards like Roomsweeper that explicitly damage multiple obstacles at once.
Wow! That is crystal clear. Thanks so much Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use colored dice to help me track damage I generate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Wokingham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So a card’s damage can essentially be assigned to multiple non-consecutive levels?

I.e. a card with 4 colourLess damage could be used to take out the first and third levels providing another card dealt with the second?

Cards - [4 colourless], [1 blue]

Obstacle - [2 colourless], [1 blue], [2 colourless]

In the rules it says to take out the levels in order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
Banker Of The Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryucoo wrote:
So a card’s damage can essentially be assigned to multiple non-consecutive levels?

I.e. a card with 4 colourLess damage could be used to take out the first and third levels providing another card dealt with the second?

At the end of your turn, the damage marker can only advance in order, left to right.

Your example would do that, as all the cards you play creates a pool of damage.

You cannot take out level 1 and level 3 of an obstacle, end your turn, and then the next player takes out level 2.

With your example you could also play:
Card 1: 1 Colourless damage + 1 Blue
Card 2: 2 Colourless damage
Card 3: 1 Colourless damage + 2 Green (green would be wasted).

All cards you play on your turn are considered that they are played simultaneously (even if it takes 5 minutes for the player to place them all down), and they all combine to inflict that much damage.

If the Obstacle was [4 damage, 1 blue, 3 Green] then that 2 green you played on Card 3 would not advance the damage marker 3 levels, it would only advance 2 levels. The 2 green is wasted and doesn't count for any other turns (yours or other players). Imagine the Obstacle was actually [3 Green, 4 damage, 1 blue]. In that case those 3 cards would do 0 damage and not advance the damage marker, as you have to get past green first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Wokingham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Geroid wrote:
Ryucoo wrote:

At the end of your turn, the damage marker can only advance in order, left to right.

Your example would do that, as all the cards you play creates a pool of damage.

You cannot take out level 1 and level 3 of an obstacle, end your turn, and then the next player takes out level 2.

With your example you could also play:
Card 1: 1 Colourless damage + 1 Blue
Card 2: 2 Colourless damage
Card 3: 1 Colourless damage + 2 Green (green would be wasted).

All cards you play on your turn are considered that they are played simultaneously (even if it takes 5 minutes for the player to place them all down), and they all combine to inflict that much damage.

If the Obstacle was [4 damage, 1 blue, 3 Green] then that 2 green you played on Card 3 would not advance the damage marker 3 levels, it would only advance 2 levels. The 2 green is wasted and doesn't count for any other turns (yours or other players). Imagine the Obstacle was actually [3 Green, 4 damage, 1 blue]. In that case those 3 cards would do 0 damage and not advance the damage marker, as you have to get past green first.
Aha. Penny dropped with the line "all cards are considered to be played simultaneously" in the damage phase. That works for me.

Thanks for your help
R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |