Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Wall
United Kingdom
London
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bezier games tweeted some info about one of the new roles, The Sentinel!

Quote:
Daybreak new role #1: The Sentinel wakes up first and protects a player’s card by placing a shield token on it.

I'm guessing "protect" means that the card can't be fiddled with by troublemakers, seers, robbers and any new roles that allow peeking or swapping at cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
What if the Sentinel guards the drunk? Does the drunk still swap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal 2000
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same with robber?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Maia
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe "protect" means it can't be fiddled with by others? As in the robber can't rob that card, but if it is placed on the robber, he can still change it (same for the drunk)... that could lead to some really cool bluffing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal 2000
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aleast you know your role hasn't changed.

I'd love a ghost role who may wake up in any one phase in the night apart from werewolf, minion and mason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal 2000 wrote:
Same with robber?

I don't know about the drunk but I think the robber would still be able to switch. I see it as protection from being messed with and since the robber knows what he is it doesn't matter. If the robber can still switch his card though does the token stay with the player or the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m D
msg tools
you know what would be cool

if the Sentinel have a day action

after the time end and before the app count to vote he can protect a player

if the robber or the TroubleMaker in the game then all the players who claim that they are the Sentinel can protect a player

the player that was protected by the real Sentinel don't die even if he have the most votes

if the werewolf can convince the Sentinel to protect him lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Farrell
United Kingdom
Reading
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Does that mean everyone will know for sure whether the Sentinel is in the middle or a player based on the token? Seems a shame. I think one of the best parts about the game is there is no guarantee which roles are players. There's no confirmed public info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CodenameJD wrote:
Does that mean everyone will know for sure whether the Sentinel is in the middle or a player based on the token? Seems a shame. I think one of the best parts about the game is there is no guarantee which roles are players. There's no confirmed public info.

If you don't like it, then don't use the character.

I don't think it breaks the game, but it may not work well at low player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal 2000
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
CodenameJD wrote:

I don't think it breaks the game, but it may not work well at low player counts.

Maybe, after that, the doppelganger places it and so on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Farrell
United Kingdom
Reading
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hal 2000 wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:
CodenameJD wrote:

Maybe, after that, the doppelganger places it and so on

Then that would mean earlier roles would get a huge advantage o_o Especially if the three middle roles were, say, the sentinel, doppleganger, and a werewolf. The other werewolf and in fact a minion would know about it.

I'd like to be able to use the role, it sees fun...it'd just be a shame to lose an aspect of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wall
United Kingdom
London
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it seems a little bit "meh".

Firstly the sentinel is placing with no information, and secondly, the night action is public because of the token (to everyone with a night action, if the sentinel collects the token back before the day phase).

At least with the robber, troublemaker and seer you can bluff about who you used your night action on (and it's a good way to try and identify wolves).

We don't know what "protect" means, but assuming it gives you immunity from other night actions to a certain extent, you at least know that your role hasn't changed and the seer hasn't looked at you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wall
United Kingdom
London
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hal 2000 wrote:
Aleast you know your role hasn't changed.

I'd love a ghost role who may wake up in any one phase in the night apart from werewolf, minion and mason.

That reminds me of the litte girl in "full fat" werewolf. She can peek during the night phase, but if the werewolves spot her she's dead. That would be quite cool to adapt - in ONUW the little girl could wake with the wolves, but it's not known which of the three is the little girl. Could be quite powerful for the villagers team.

I like the idea of a third faction that can also win. I think in full werewolf there are a couple of "lovers", who win the game if they both survive the lynching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m D
msg tools
stevenwall wrote:

Firstly the sentinel is placing with no information, and secondly, the night action is public because of the token

this is why i think my Idea is better
you have information at the end of the day and it's not known if he is really with a player or in the middle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maldini wrote:
stevenwall wrote:

Firstly the sentinel is placing with no information, and secondly, the night action is public because of the token

you have information at the end of the day and it's not known if he is really with a player or in the middle

I think I agree with you. Sort of like a reverse hunter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But protection from killing is a different thing than protection from viewing and moving.
Maybe we'll get both characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m D
msg tools
MasterDinadan wrote:
But protection from killing is a different thing than protection from viewing and moving.
Maybe we'll get both characters.

There is a Bodyguard role in Ultimate Werewolf whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevenwall wrote:

Awesome; this was one of my most-wanted additions; it has a ripple effect through every other character's actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wall
United Kingdom
London
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
Maldini wrote:
stevenwall wrote:

I think I agree with you. Sort of like a reverse hunter.

You could do it exactly like the hunter that way without the need for a token. The Sentinel/Bodyguard gets a single vote, and the person they vote for is immune to lynching, regardless of the number of votes they receive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m D
msg tools
stevenwall wrote:

You could do it exactly like the hunter that way without the need for a token. The Sentinel/Bodyguard gets a single vote, and the person they vote for is immune to lynching, regardless of the number of votes they receive.

the problem with this way is if there is a robber or TroubleMaker he may kill the one who he wants to save and vice versa

at the same time that might be funny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wall
United Kingdom
London
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maldini wrote:
stevenwall wrote:

the problem with this way is if there is a robber or TroubleMaker he may kill the one who he wants to save and vice versa

at the same time that might be funny

Same with when the hunter gets robbed or troubled. Great fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Anderson
United States
Gloucester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevenwall wrote:
Bezier games tweeted some info about one of the new roles, The Sentinel!

Quote:
Daybreak new role #1: The Sentinel wakes up first and protects a player’s card by placing a shield token on it.

I'm guessing "protect" means that the card can't be fiddled with by troublemakers, seers, robbers and any new roles that allow peeking or swapping at cards.

I got to play ONUW Daybreak last week at That Board Gaming Thing in Raleigh, NC. Ted Alspach brought a copy and we played several games, although we didn't get to play all of the new roles. The Sentinel plays as you have guessed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Glandon
United States
Dunedin
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that there is a second token in the case of a Doppleganger copying one of these guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.