7 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: UK card storage solutions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mtg_storage [+] [View All]
Barney
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Recently my collection has grown from 3,000 to over 12,000 cards with a good chance that it will increase even more in the coming weeks and I am in desperate need of additional storage. Before the influx I had been using a holiday gift box and a couple of fat pack boxes in combination with a trades binder but now I am in need of a longer-term solution and I'm not having much luck.

I had been looking at the 5,000ct BCW brand boxes - the white corrugated ones that I'm sure everyone knows about - but on Amazon I am looking at paying £11 a box which is pretty expensive for a bit of cardboard. They were far cheaper on MagicMadHouse but the delivery charge really stung so I tried to reach £20 in order to qualify for free postage. I couldn't find anything else I wanted so I decided to buy them anyway but by that point they had all sold out and apparently aren't coming back in stock. The holiday gift boxes are pricey for how much they can hold and empty fat pack boxes would be twice as expensive as the white ones. Ebay isn't yielding much hope either.

Any ideas? Or am I really going to have to blow £22-33 on corrugated card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried looking at local gaming stores? usually the big ones are about $5 US. I would find out the nearest place that has a lot of Magic going on and check there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm at about 12k cards, too. For me, those holiday gift boxes are ideal - I have all my Green cards in one of them and all my Black cards in another, and when the Khans HGB comes out I expect I'll transition my other four boxes of unmatching sizes into HGBs as well.

I don't like the 5000 ct BCW boxes much myself, but £11 a box sounds like a retailer's absurd markup when BCW itself retails them direct to customers for $3.90 (£2.39), or as low as $2.24 (£1.37) in quantity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend against the 5000 count boxes, because they actually get really heavy and can hurt your back to lift and move them around. They're also large and heavy enough that the weight of carrying them with two hands can bend them on the sides. Finally they don't fit easily on many shelves and it's not easy to dig through them to find what you want.

I suggest buying the 3000 count boxes instead. Sure, you'll need more, so the total cost will be higher, but they are infinitely more usable. I find them to be the best balance between easy of use and ease of storage.

My local stores sell the 3000 count boxes for about $3 each. I have my personal collection in five of those, and have two 5000 count boxes (acquired with collections I bought) for eBay sales bulk, plus a half dozen holiday boxes and two dozen fat packs I use for sorting new collections and selling locally, respectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
I agree with the above. I have a 5000 box for my pre-Modern cards, because I really don't need to move them around so much. Those boxes get really heavy. Then for most of my Modern cards I have two 3000 (or maybe a bit smaller) boxes, and they are a lot easier to move around. Standard cards are separated into a smaller box, and the cards I use the most are in a binder. Works well for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the responses.

My local doesn't have anything suitable and I'm not aware of any other stores that are close-enough to make finding some large boxes worth the trip.

The holiday gift boxes are nice but I'd need to spend £80 to meet my storage needs!

The boxes would be stored on the floor under my cabinets so I can slide them in and out, they've got a high clearance so it's perfect to keep them out of the way but within easy reach. Still, that won't help me find some that are affordable.

I wouldn't be against making some but I don't want to go gun-ho with tape and a pair of scissors, I'd like to do the job properly. The problem is that there's no "how to" information on storage boxes of these sizes, only for your typical deck box, even so it's mostly card-stock stuff which behaves very differently to its corrugated brother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of these plastic boxes:

which I got as part of an ebay purchase. I don't know how much they cost but they're very much what I need! I have two of the holiday gift boxes but they tend to get a bit damaged when I stack them full of cards, so they're not a long term solution.

I currently have standard in one plastic box, Ravnica blocks in another plastic box, other modern in a holiday gift box, and vintage in another holiday gift box, and trades in a white cardboard box. When KTK comes out I'll have to move some stuff around, and I think then I will need to dump some things I'll never use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.