GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played BCTC:K on Tuesday evening. I posted a few questions over at CSW but haven't gotten a response so I thought I'd try here as well.

First impressions, very interesting and a lot of fun; but I'm not sure if I've got certain rules right, so I'd like to check with fellow players/playtesters or the designer before commenting further.

J-2 Joint Operations and Revelation of HQs

If a J-2 is used to reveal units and multiple successes permit multiple units to be revealed, how does this affect covert HQs?

For example, a Spec Forces Coalition with a SIGINT asset unit rolls six successes. It is next to two different HQs, each with four covert Insurgent units attached. Do the successes first reveal the HQs (using two successes) causing the attached units to be detached per this rule:

If there is a difference, the owning player must immediately Detach all Tactical Units of the status opposite that of the HQ.

...this seems too powerful (?) - or are individual tactical units within the HQ revealed?

Since revelation of units in one HQ or another also reveal which HQ is which, does the acting player have to delare how many successes are used against each HQ beforehand? Can I split successful revelations between the two HQs?

Attacking Bases

Per rules section:

Quote:
The Attacking Unit must be one Friendly HQ or Detached Unit. The target must be one specific HQ, Detached Unit, or Base in the District. The target must be Hostile and Active. A Base may not be the target of an attack if the District contains any Active, non-Base Units Friendly to the Base.

OK, say a district has (for example) five active detached militia units and a training camp. It is attacked by an HQ containing multiple coalition units. The rules as written seem to indicate that the Coalition HQ must attack (and destroy) each detached militia unit separately before being permitted to attack the base. This would, AFAIK, require a minimum of six J-3 card plays to take out the base. Is this correct? It would seem if this is correct, it would be possible to "game the game" by packing "meat shields" of Active Militia (or Lashkars, in the case of the Coalition) around Training Camps (or FOBs). Is this correct, or did I miss a rule? Following on this question...

Stacking and the Possibility of Ridiculous Militia

So, the J-9 card permits recruiting of one Militia unit (or Lashkar) per J-9 success roll. This evening, my opponent already had one SWET/NET in a region, and then rolled five successes by rolling two 6s and a 5 during a J-9 card play. He couldn't use the successes to add a SWET/NET (it was already at the limit) so he could put down five militia units (?). Is that correct? Is there a limit to the number of detached units in a district?

There is a C2 limit on the number of units attached to an HQ. Is there anything preventing multiple HQs from stacking in the same region?

Playing the Same Objective Card on Successive Turns

As far as I can make out, there is nothing prohibiting the play of the same Objective card on successive turns. i.e. - I could play Counter-Insurgency objective one turn, and play it again the turn following. Is that correct? Nothing I'm reading seems to say otherwise.

Supply Questions

Nothing in the rules seem to indicate that Kandahar or the Cave act as supply sources - the only sources of supply are Bases (FOBs or TCs) and Supply Columns/Logistical Support/Airborne Supply units. Is this correct? Seems so - just want to check.

Quote:
An LOC to an Operational, Friendly Base has a maximum length of one unless traced along a road. In that case, the maximum length is three Districts.

Each of those three districts must be on a road? You cannot trace from a district without a road to a district with a road, then one more district (along the road) to a supply source? Strictly reading rules as written, it would appear that to use the three district range LOC option, the supply source and the destination district would have to be on the same series of districts connected by continuous roads.

Thanks in advance for answers!

BTW - neither my opponent nor I like to "game games" to find little loopholes and take advantage of them. I just noted that the base meat shield effect seemed like a possibility if one read the rules strictly as written. Same with the J-2 cards effect on HQs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

J-2 Joint Operations and Revelation of HQs
The owner of the HQ applies the Attacker's successes to the units as he/she chooses within the HQ targetted by the Attacker. I suppose the Defender could choose to reveal his HQ unit itself first before revealing units attached to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attacking Bases
Your assessment is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stacking and the Possibility of Ridiculous Militia
...so he could put down five militia units. Is that correct?
Yes
Is there a limit to the number of detached units in a district?
No
Is there anything preventing multiple HQs from stacking in the same region?
No

Playing the Same Objective Card on Successive Turns
I could play Counter-Insurgency objective one turn, and play it again the turn following. Is that correct?
Yes

Supply Questions
Nothing in the rules seem to indicate that Kandahar or the Cave act as supply sources - the only sources of supply are Bases (FOBs or TCs) and Supply Columns/Logistical Support/Airborne Supply units. Is this correct?
Yes
Each of those three districts must be on a road?
Yes
You cannot trace from a district without a road to a district with a road, then one more district (along the road) to a supply source?
No
Strictly reading rules as written, it would appear that to use the three district range LOC option, the supply source and the destination district would have to be on the same series of districts connected by continuous roads.
Yes

BTW - neither my opponent nor I like to "game games" to find little loopholes and take advantage of them.
I just noted that the base meat shield effect seemed like a possibility if one read the rules strictly as written.
Seems like a perfectly valid tactic. More bodies means more protection.

Same with the J-2 cards effect on HQs.
If the Attacker was able to assign successes then I would agree but the Defender assigns successes to the target(s) the Attacker picks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers. I must have missed them on my subscription.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.