Subject: Grain (Korn) as substitution for food (NP) - when? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
So here is another nitpicky question. Please understand that I'm not doing this to poke holes into the rules, but instead to ask the things I felt were not explained to my full satisfaction in the rules. Maybe it helps, in one way or another...

See, during the last month of one half of the year (i.e. the last phase of a round), it is clear that you can substitute 1 grain (Korn) for 1 Food (NP).

And then there is the part of the rules (p. 14), where point =>6 states that, contrary to the Wood Trader (assuming that is the English term), you cannot substitute grain for the food necessary to pay for this action on the mentioned Action spaces (i.e. where the =>6 is shown on pages 12/13).

So far, so good.
However, that led me to question whether it would be allowed in situations other than the bookkeeping phase or when using the Wood Trader it was allowed to substitute grain for food. Could you spend grain in order to build a building that would need food? Could you mix?

Again, I am guessing that the symbology of the spaces (like the Action space of the Wood Trader) depict where it is allowed to fall back unto such a substitution. Still, as this possibility is not completely excluded, it struck me as a tiny bit ambiguous, or at least providing possibility for ambiguous reading...

So, I am guessing that you can ONLY substitute grain for food where it is depicted thusly (i.e. bookkeeping and Wood Trader), correct?

This is (of course) also the question regarding other substitutions (i.e. wood for peat)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I only read the part of the rules you mentioned.

I think the part is answered on p. 13, third "dot". There it states that you have to pay with the required ressource and only if you do not have this ressource you can pay with the ressource that is mentioned in brackets. This is consistent with the ruling on =>6 (p. 14), with the wood trader and with the ruling regarding the bookkeeping in the last month of each half-year (p. 8).

You can only ever use grain instead of food if it is mentioned in the form of "pay: food (grain)" and you are out of food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the part where substitution is only allowed when you do not have the original ressource, that one is clear.

The other part of your answer seems clear to me, too. It is (basically) a no-brainer, I think.
But when I read the rules, what I wrote above was crossing my mind, and I didn't find a passage in the rules that clearly explained it one way or the other, explicitly.
Or rather, if the rules made it clear instead that you could ONLY substitute where it was mentioned explicitly, that would do the trick. Unfortunately, they don't.

Of course, this invites the argument that game rules do not specificate on a whole lot of subjects - that you do not steal the ressources of your opponent, do not cheat, do not set the board on fire, etc.
However, as substitution IS tackled in the rules, I think it would be a good idea to state this a little more clearly.

But then, I am a stickler and nitpicker by trade...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:

But when I read the rules, what I wrote above was crossing my mind, and I didn't find a passage in the rules that clearly explained it one way or the other, explicitly.
Or rather, if the rules made it clear instead that you could ONLY substitute where it was mentioned explicitly, that would do the trick. Unfortunately, they don't.

Ok, I see. I think you are too nitpicky then

I think it is clear from the rules. Let me try to explain.

The rules explain the gaming materials. A "wood" is a "wood". A "sheep" is a "sheep". No substitution is mentioned with one exception. The exception is a ressource in brackets.

That it is made clear that substitution is allowed if the alternate ressource is depicted in brackets (and not having the normally required ressource) also means that there is no other way of substitution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I just noticed, there is another substitution rule. On page 6 it states that you always can pay timber (Bauholz) instead of wood (Holz) and brick (Ziegel) instead of clay (Lehm).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is true. But they are quite clear...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.