Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching multiple play videos and also the companies newly released tutorial video, I have come to a conclusion why a game with high production value (mounted boards, nice box along with nice game chits) never really became a smash hit in the military gaming world. The rules/process of playing is a bit confusing. I understand some of the system is required to give the AI a process to work with a solitaire player, however I think some things could have been simplified and cleaned up. Case in point is the whole supply system and points calculations. Also it would have been nice to have battle plans marked that would continue (persist) into the next round of a battle if it happened. I think that when you get a game with many moving parts, no matter how simple they are one at a time it becomes easy to miss something or do something incorrectly and this is where I think many people decide to give up on the game. Just some of my thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One big reason for me why I didn't really get into the game is that the "first" scenario is damn near impossible to beat, whereas the other two scenarios are much more forgiving. They really should've started with an easy one and ramped up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murksofus wrote:
One big reason for me why I didn't really get into the game is that the "first" scenario is damn near impossible to beat, whereas the other two scenarios are much more forgiving. They really should've started with an easy one and ramped up.

I do think you have a point about that also. Plus it is one that opens itself to a lot of the different variations of things that can happen and deal with rule wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
In my opinion game is too simple for advanced wargamers and too hard for newbie wargamers or for average player.

Also there is a lot of abstraction in FCR for example units have no defense (Defense value which we see on counters is an attack while defending).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
c08mk wrote:
In my opinion game is too simple for advanced wargamers and too hard for newbie wargamers or for average player.

Also there is a lot of abstraction in FCR for example units have no defense (Defense value which we see on counters is an attack while defending).

I agree. Also it is frustrating that if you leave one of the objectives after taking it over you have to leave a unit or its considered under allied control. I mean at least make a allied unit advance to the objective and land on it for one turn so it could be taken over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
c08mk wrote:
I would echo this as well.
I've attempted to introduce these solitaire games to 2 different people who both declared it was "too much work." But when I play it sometimes becomes more tedious than I would like for the payoff.

Of course I still have high hopes for Fleet Commander Nimitz!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
c08mk wrote:
I would echo this as well.
I've attempted to introduce these solitaire games to 2 different people who both declared it was "too much work." But when I play it sometimes becomes more tedious than I would like for the payoff.

I wonder if the game could be tweaked to fix some of the issues we have all discussed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
I wonder if the game could be tweaked to fix some of the issues we have all discussed?

It was already "deluxed" so my guess this is final version (at least for few next years) but ... every next game from Commander Series should have corrected flaws and weaknesses.

fightcitymayor wrote:

This is what I'm hoping too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Richards
Australia
Mittagong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too fiddly, the ally decisions are often illogical and it's not a solo game. It makes a great 2 player game, but the attempt the create a solo game falls well short. Throw away the solo rules and play it two player.

The reason it fails is that it's a gimmick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael MS
Australia
DUBBO
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
- Don't touch me !!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shaynerichards72 wrote:
It's too fiddly, the ally decisions are often illogical and it's not a solo game. It makes a great 2 player game, but the attempt the create a solo game falls well short. Throw away the solo rules and play it two player.

The reason it fails is that it's a gimmick.

You ever used the two player method in this game, worked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.