GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: I Wanna support my local game store! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I know none of those personally.

However, Friday is the one I see recommended a lot on here.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pickelsimer
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played dungeon roll and Friday. I think Friday is a better choice as a solo game as it give you more choices and tells more of a story. If you are looking for something that you can play solo and is also an alright filler game with more than one, Dungeon roll will work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games you listed, I would suggest Friday or Cards of Cthulhu.

For solo play, Friday is excellent. Lots of fun, tricky choices. However, it may not be "thematic" enough for you. And it is only a solo game.

Cards of Cthulhu is pretty, but fairly light. Despite that, we've found it fun as a relaxing, simple game. And the components are great. It's physically a bit bigger than the other games listed (and takes up a lot of space on the table).

Dungeon roll is also mostly mindless die rolling...except it kind of lacks the die rolling part, since you just roll your party once. We found it got old pretty fast.

Dungeon Heroes has an abstract feel with a dungeon theme. If you want 1 vs 1 semi-abstract gameplay with some hidden info, I think Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation is better.

For a small, inexpensive game with an awful lot of play value, it's hard to pass up Star Realms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday. it is a fantastic solo deck builder. i highly recommend that one. it arguably has the best longevity of the bunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played two of those, but:

I do not recommend Dungeon Roll at all, especially for solo play. I don't hate it, and my wife and I will occasionally break it out while watching TV or something, but it's really not much of a game. Might not be a bad thing to play with a kid, but for an adult, the decisions to be made just arent terribly interesting. The best thing I can say about it is that the components are cool and it's mercifully short.

I do recommend Friday. I don't love it as much as everyone else in the solo world seems to, but it's a solid little game. The decisions are interesting, at times agonizing. It plays quickly, takes almost no time to set up and break down, and provides more than enough replayability to cover its cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Friday, but it's a solid little game. It might start to feel a little samey after you've beaten it a few times, but for the price and portability, it's one of the best solo deck builders out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaseRussett wrote:
You know i was looking at Star Realms, but I will ONLY play solo--is it that good for solo up against, say, Friday?

Ah, no, it is not. But I don't think you specified that.

However, if you have an iOS device or Android, Star Realms is fantastic on those.

I should then clarify that I have absolutely no idea what the solo version of Dungeon Heroes is like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: I Wanna support my local game store! A-N-Y-!
There "was" ONE?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seal Bludgeoner
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Oh don't bother. Just buy them online. They're cheaper and have better selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Save up for Crusoe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.