GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,973 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since lots of players play Borg and have bought the ships, I know this is never going to happen, but, consider...

In the show, the Borg were almost never an adversary for starship combat but more of a plot device. Effectively they were an intelligent Zombie apocalypse. You might just as well wish for a Doomsday device player ship.

But what would be nice to have is a NPC monster or two to put out on the board and play as a cooperative event or even as an obstacle (as they sometimes are in OPs).

Now in some games (Castle Ravenloft), the players are working together against the game. Each monster has a card which lists the behavior rules that the monster follows. They say something like...

1. If there is a PC in range 1, the xxx moves next to the PC and attacks using it's primary attack.
2. Else If there is no PC within range 1, the xxx (monster) moves 1 range closer to the PC.
3. etc...

You create a series of if/then/else statements that the players "execute" to decide what the monster does. The players use that to see what each monster does and then just do what comes naturally. Instant solitaire game.

So what you have to do is to "create" the Artificial Intelligence (AI) behavior as a series of these statements.

1. If the Borg Cube has a ship in a tractor beam, it fires its cutting beam at the player ship.

2. Else If only 1 player ship is within range 1 of the Cube, the Borg ship uses its tractor beam to hold the ship.

3. Else If the Borg Cube is within range 1-3 of one or more player ships at the end of their move, the cube remains stationary. If there is only 1 ship within range 1-3, the cube attacks that ship with a 6 dice attack with conversion of 2 BS results. If there are 2 or more ships, the Cube divides its attack and conducts 2 3-dice attacks with full BS conversion.

4. Else the Borg cube moves at full speed toward the nearest player ship.

Maybe this isn't the best AI but it kind of gives you the idea. Even if these "breakaway Borg collectives" (a.k.a. player controlled Borg ships) are playing the game, the AI controlled Borg would be nice adversaries when you just want to pound on a monster.

Ideas for Monsters besides the Borg ships -- The Doomsday Machine, the giant amoeba, the Crystalline Entity, the Fesarius (If you can bear to shoot at that cute Blalock), the Xindi planetkiller, the Krenim Timeship, Vger, or the Whale probe. I'd put in the Scimitar but I know the Romulans really need a new ship ... BAD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom B.
msg tools
NPC borg ship as a map hazard? I don't own any Borg but I might pick one up just for that. It's a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made this based on the OP events and I play tested this with 6 people each controlling a ship and it was a blast.

The Rules.

For the "Random direction or sides" just take 4 pieces of paper or counters with one marked and shuffle them then reveal them on each side of the Borg ships base.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Spleen of Morbius
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those setup looks good MaximumDT. How many points of opposition would you put up against the borg in that scenario? Did you play 6 ships at 40 points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.