GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,267 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Jaipur» Forums » General

Subject: Jaipur vs Lost cities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for a nice game to play with my significant other. Do you think this or lost cities is best? Do they appeal to different kinds of people? I was very intrigued by the fact that this had the word subtle on the box.

Which one is more strategic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for Battle Line myself. Its my wife's favourite game by a mile. We must have played two hundred games. And, yes, we own Jaipur and Lost Cities as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both strategic, but I know that my wife loves Jaipur, and would hate Lost Cities. Jaipur is a trading game with a lot of back and forth. Lost Cities is a bit more like a logic puzzle. It is certainly a great game, but not what my wife would like.

Perhaps watching a few of the videos that BGG has of both games with your other would help make an informed purchase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Components
The cards in Jaipur are standard size (probably like most Poker cards), white-bordered, and laminated with a linen texture. The white edges mean that these cards are prone to eventually pick up dirt and become a bit grey with extensive play.

The box is nice, but probably won't fit in a small purse. The insert also won't fit sleeved cards.

The cards in Lost Cities are over-sized, black-bordered, unlaminated and have a smooth finish. This means that these cards are a bit harder to shuffle and very prone to chipping. They will also suck up liquid spills like paper napkins (and on my very first play, even!), so you'd need to be a bit more careful with these cards. I don't know if you can find sleeves that fit these cards.

Lost Cities also comes with a play may that you can fit into most purses, but it is optional. Leaving it out makes Lost Cities the more portable game.

I should also mention that there are several apps and web sites that will aid in scoring Lost Cities.

Setup
Jaipur requires that you sort the chips and find 3 camel cards. We usually do this when storing the game.

Lost Cities has virtually no setup time.

Hand size
In Jaipur you may hold up to seven cards, but your hand size changes a lot over the course of a round. Essentially, your opponent will always have a fair idea of what you might have (technically, they may even know exactly what you have).

In Lost Cities your hand size is always eight cards. That means that a lot of the game revolves around bluffing and not knowing what your opponent is holding. At the end of a round you could easily be holding several cards that were dealt to you at the beginning of the round.

Tactics vs strategy
Neither game is particularly strategic; you'll simply have to see what cards come up during the game.

That being said, Jaipur does offer several ways of messing with your opponent, such as: sell goods early to get the higher price for them; hoard goods that you know your opponent is looking for; or force your opponent into selling goods they were collecting a larger set of (by leaving them with a full hand and/or unsuitable cards on the table).

However, in a sense, Jaipur feels a bit like a press-your-luck game, where you need to decide when to sell a particular good before your opponent denies you or cuts in front of you.

Lost Cities feels more like a mind game, where you are left wondering what cards your opponent may be holding. They may be holding one or several cards that you really need - or they may be holding cards in the hope of building a set of a certain color, and now you need to figure out what color that might be. Perhaps the set that was just started was simply a way of getting rid of some less important cards - or perhaps they are committed to that color and going for the +20 bonus?

Conclusion
Personally, I think there is room for both games in my collection. Whenever I want something fast, I usually go for Lost Cities. Despite labelling Lost Cities a 'mind game' it just feels more easy-going than Jaipur. I suspect the minimal setup time plays into that. Using an app for scoring also helps tremendously.

Jaipur feels slightly more fiddly with the chips. During play you'll constantly have to assess what chips are left, what is in your hand, and what is on the table. I suppose the fact that you can and should try and keep track of what goes on in your opponent's hand also means that you'll have to put a bit more effort in to win.

Jaipur is not a brainy game by any means, but between these two games I find Jaipur slightly more meaty, whilst I feel that Lost Cities can be played with cruise control engaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife likes all three games. Jaipur's feel is more strategic than lost cities. Battle line is very strategic.
Lost Cities the board game I like over Lost cities. A few more options in that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities has numbers, so feels a bit more like a conventional card game. Jaipur's cards only have a color, which for us allows it to feel slightly less abstract. It's still abstract of course, but without the numbers staring us in the face, we don't get constantly reminded that this is a game. My wife is not a fan of games that resemble traditional card games, so LC didn't work but she likes Jaipur.

My understanding is that Battle Line feels much more like a head-to-head battle, whereas in both Jaipur and LC you are more doing your own thing, with some interference back and forth. I also understand (and believe) that BL is the deepest and most strategic of the three. To me, the poker aspect makes it sound the most abstract of the three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Lost Cities is more like doing math homework. Wait, I like math homework. Playing Lost Cities is like doing BORING math homework. Jaipur is awesome, for a short light 2p game.

Neither one is super-deep, but Jaipur keeps surprising me with how flexible I need to be to win. If you play on autopilot, a good player WILL beat you.

(But I didn't have enough fun with Lost Cities to tell if it was the same way. Could be.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Graham
United Kingdom
Andover
Hants
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur is the winner here.
Whilst I appreciate Lost Cities, I feel the gameplay is not the most exciting and the scoring is not as transparent as Jaipur.
Jaipur has a great 'push your luck' element with whether you take those camels and the danger of cards that the opponent could use along with the hidden scoring bonuses for selling more than 3 goods.
I feel Jaipur has more diversity in avenues to win the game which can be a mixture of buying as many of the expensive goods as quickly as possible or the slow burn of collecting more of the cheaper goods for those bonuses.
I also like the way you can force the game to finish early by attempting to quickly sell off all the 3 type of goods to trigger the game end.
Turns are quick and there is hardly any downtime with a typical session (3 games) taking 1/2 hour.
It is probably one of the best 2 player games I have played (and own).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
We like Jaipur better than Lost Cities. Jaipur is still in our collection and Lost Cities has been sold.

Battle Line was my fiancee's least favorite game. As Kevin (peakhope) has pointed out. It might be too confrontational for the SO.

BL got so much dust that it went to the trade pile pretty quick. Luckily it is a good game so it's easy to get traded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have both and my wife also likes both of them. But the one we love is Jaipur. And Morels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q.T. Nguyen
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty confident in saying that our pick would be Jaipur. There seem to be more meaningful decisions and choices to make here. It's also much more thematic for us, where we feel like we're buying, selling, and haggling on the marketplace. We don't get that sense of spelunking from Lost Cities. While I do like Lost Cities, the theme doesn't come across for my significant other (who loves archeology) and I feel that, for her, it may be like, as another user put it, Boring Math Homework.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I am finally picking up Jaipur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Ok, I am finally picking up Jaipur

Great choice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember to rate it high to bump it back to the top 100. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was sold out, so I picked up Lost Cities instead. I feel like i betrayed everyone who posted here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
It was sold out, so I picked up Lost Cities instead. I feel like i betrayed everyone who posted here

We'll survive

And although I prefer Jaipur, LC is still a very solid game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will pick it up next time I get the chance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Watters
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
Looking at the stats somewhere, I have played LC about four thousand times - it is a very good game. But after the first thousand or so :) there is an element of being on autopilot and it's rare that I have to think about what to do.

Jairpur is a much more recent purchase, and having barely got into double figures, there is more thought involved.

Which one is 'better' depends on mood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally picked up both until now I prefer Lost Cities. The quick setup time is a big draw and using the app we don't have the hassle of the scoring.

Jaipur is certainly also very interesting and I look forward to diving deeper into that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.