GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,024 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Yellow Jersey» Forums » Rules

Subject: Must or May, when choosing tokens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for drawing tiles say you "may" draw tiles equal to the number of bikes in a stage. That implies that if you've got 3 bikes bunched up, you can draw 1, 2, or 3 tiles.

But the way the game starts, where you MUST draw 3, implies that you are always required to play the maximum number of tiles, as indicated by the state of the board.

Which is it? This has a big impact on play. The rules seem pretty contradictory on this point... anyone played this game with the designer, and know for sure one way or the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an early version of the game and I know that the design has changed slightly along the way.

My copy of the rules states;

'The number of tokens you may draw in phase 1 is equal to the largest number of bikes you have in stage 1...'

I have played the game with Gavin and feel the use of the word 'may' should be read as 'must'. Gavin is too much of a nice guy to bang the table with such forthright words but that's whats intended I'm sure and the way we have always played it.

You need to get some Maltese cyclists around to help you and Jen to play this. It really shines with a full compliment of 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
I have an early version of the game and I know that the design has changed slightly along the way.

My copy of the rules states;

'The number of tokens you may draw in phase 1 is equal to the largest number of bikes you have in stage 1...'

I have played the game with Gavin and feel the use of the word 'may' should be read as 'must'. Gavin is too much of a nice guy to bang the table with such forthright words but that's whats intended I'm sure and the way we have always played it.

You need to get some Maltese cyclists around to help you and Jen to play this. It really shines with a full compliment of 4 players.

Right, that's what I figured, that "may" was being used incorrectly in that sentence...

Well curses, that means I've got to start my runthrough video all over!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gavin birnbaum
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I must admit the thought of not taking the full entitlement went completely over my head and having played over a hundred games I've not experienced anybody wanting to take less.
But now that it's come up I don't see why a player must take all the tokens they are entitled to draw. So the rules are hereby redrafted to read 'may' ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Gav. I should have asked you first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.