Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had the Dominion base set for a while but have only recently got into playing it. After quite a few games we decided to buy Intrigue so all 5 of us could play Dominion as a family game.

To this effect and for a bit of fun we included all the attack cards and Secret Chamber. It was a great full on interactive frenzy, everyone attacking everyone else and nobody really worrying about winning. The game finally ended when three piles where gone and I found I'd won with just 8VP's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
2 points is my best (3-hander, depleted curses, Remodels and Cellars). It's not unheard of to win games with negative points, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cassola
Italy
Piacenza
PC
flag msg tools
Power player
badge
http://www.orizzonteventi.org
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen win a game with -1 points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't in this game, but my friend told me about a 2-player game which he won with 0 VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Come on Batman! Pull your weight!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won with negative 3 points, it was a 4 player all Alchemy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
We regularly get MUCH higher points when my wife and I play. Even with witch in the mix, I think the lowest I recall one of us winning with was 18 points. This was a game that was unusually low for us; I think it was where we put out all the attack cards in the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won with 10VP before in a meetup game. Everyone is buying the same action cards and I sneaked in a sneaky 3-pile victory. There were alchemy, base, and dark age cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Swindler can lead to some really low scoring games, especially if there is a $2 card available that Estates can be replaced with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
Swindler can lead to some really low scoring games, especially if there is a $2 card available that Estates can be replaced with.

Why replace an estate with a $2 card, other than Estate? Especially in early game. Only exception I could think of would be the Duchess, in an action-less game, as it helps your opponents, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
Beaveman wrote:

Why replace an estate with a $2 card, other than Estate? Especially in early game. Only exception I could think of would be the Duchess, in an action-less game, as it helps your opponents, as well.
I'm assuming he meant end game to do that.

I've heard of a game where someone bought a Witch early, it got Swindled into a Duchy. Near end game, it got Swindled back into a Witch. Went pretty well for the Swindler player cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Picon wrote:
Beaveman wrote:

I'm assuming he meant end game to do that.

I've heard of a game where someone bought a Witch early, it got Swindled into a Duchy. Near end game, it got Swindled back into a Witch. Went pretty well for the Swindler player :cool:

Yeah, we did that kind of thing. Swindling action cards for VP at start of game and then back again towards the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won a few with negative points.

Winning with just a few VPs is surprisingly common actually. The objective of Dominion is to end the game when you have the most points, not the have the most points when the game ends (other skilled players won't end the game with you winning unless they're e.g. just going for second or something). In Engine type games (where you draw most/all of your deck each turn, and often end up gaining multiple cards per turn), you often realise you can gain enough cards to end the game, and also grab a single Estate to win 1-0, or 4-3, or similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently, close enough. Granted, they're against AI, but the game ending "suddenly" is still something that can creep up on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember playing a 3-player game with witches and no way to mitigate curses. It ended on 3 piles, and the winner had 0 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a 3p game on BSW where it ended on 3 piles. Festivals, Smithies, and I can't remember the 3rd pile. It was odd... it's like we all suddenly noticed that imminent 3rd pile, and mad grabbed for VP then.

I won with 7pts since I was able to get a Duchy and Estate with $7 and +2 Buy

p2 got 4pts since he got an additional Estate

p3 got 2pts since he remodeled one of his Estates and actually ended up with less than he started with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Williams
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-8 point win for me. had 30 curses with 3 people. The pirate ship and sea hag (seaside expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderRam wrote:
-8 point win for me. had 30 curses with 3 people. The pirate ship and sea hag (seaside expansion).

Why did you have 30 Curses with 3 people? There should be only 20 Curses in a 3-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the record I saw was at a local tournament ending with 5:1:-1:-3 me being in second place. It was a nightmare with no +action cards, curses, no trashers and lots of saboteurs going on.

On the other hand I'v seen people loose with 100+ points...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won a game with -1 once. It was a 4p game against AI. I believe the only cards that were bought the entire game were Sea Hag, Lighthouse and Silver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
I think the record I saw was at a local tournament ending with 5:1:-1:-3 me being in second place. It was a nightmare with no +action cards, curses, no trashers and lots of saboteurs going on.

They allowed Saboteur in a tournament setting? That's pretty neat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
kilrah wrote:

Why wouldn't they? It's a weak card that is only really effective when played well, i.e. promoting skill. It's not like, say, Rebuild or Tournament which are far more luck based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Why not? I'm assuming because it can hurt some more than others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Why not? I'm assuming because it can hurt some more than others?
That's one angle, luck driven in hitting Provinces and Duchies.

There's a sort of king making where if someone sees they won't win, they'll buy this and take down as many of his opponents as he can. AFAIK, veteran Dom players shouldn't be like this though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
AFAIK, veteran Dom players shouldn't be like this though.

Agreed, which is why I figured it'd be ok in a tournament, assuming you expect reasonably good players to populate the later rounds.

Though if you have good players, the Saboteurs may not be taken at all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
kilrah wrote:

Why wouldn't they? It's a weak card that is only really effective when played well, i.e. promoting skill. It's not like, say, Rebuild or Tournament which are far more luck based.

I find it quite ironic that Martin's avatar is of one of the cards that is most often attacked by Saboteur...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.