GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,804 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: New Geek Marketplace Need rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Seeing the city and or state from where the game will ship is a big part of the decision making process.

We need that in addition to country in order to cut down on having to look up every seller in the bgg database to see their actual location.

Living on the east coast, it's nearly $15 - $20 more in shipping to get something from the west coast. So it's definitely a worthwhile addition that has buying implications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do propose handling users who refuse to enter this information into their profiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
How do propose handling users who refuse to enter this information into their profiles?

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask sellers to have that information.

(20 more in shipping is a little bit of an overstatement though . . . )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hildreth
United Kingdom
Scarborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is even more important for us in other countries.

A few months ago I started scanning the lists to buy expansions for a game that has 40+ products in its collection. Now I have to click each expansion to see if any of the sellers are from my country. This undoubtedly puts an extra undue stress on the database as I'm mostly pulling up records that aren't of interest to me.

The search engine needs to support queries by name & country to make it usable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro capillus-veneris
Spain
Córdoba
Córdoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week I was looking for an item, I found it very cheap (€3.9), I click ed on "buy" waiting for a reasonable "shipping cost"....but 2 days ago I received an email indicating €1535.00 extra for the shipping.

Therefore, I think that, an approach to shipping costs should be included or, at least, it's better not to include items in the marketplace if you are not going to sell them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
muskari wrote:
Last week I was looking for an item, I found it very cheap (€3.9), I click ed on "buy" waiting for a reasonable "shipping cost"....but 2 days ago I received an email indicating €1535.00 extra for the shipping.

Was it going to be hand delivered in a Rolls Royce?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:
muskari wrote:

Was it going to be hand delivered in a Rolls Royce?

Was it a Rolls Royce?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A few thoughts.

This information was easily accessible in the old marketplace, so I'm not asking for functionality that didn't previously exist. I think it's just one of those things in the transition that perhaps wasn't considered.

My understanding was that it displayed the information from the user's profile.

If someone refuses to enter that information, then so be it. The information won't display.

It is, however, a reasonable request both because of its relative importance to the overall transaction's final cost and because of its presence in the old system. In short, it's been technically demonstrated previously and others have chimed in on its relative importance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to that, the text the user entered into the notes section would also be super helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Game version.

The new market is totally useless without it because I'm not going to click on each and every game in the search result to see if it's the German version, the French version, the English version or combo International ones.

Filter on Location of Seller

Ditto as above.

The last game I went looking for to buy I didn't even bother to look on the BGG marketplace because it would frustrate the heck out of me and just take too long, so I went to the alternative websites out there. If that's not an indication of how rubbish the current market system is, I don't know what is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro capillus-veneris
Spain
Córdoba
Córdoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ERRATA

I talked with the guy of "€1535.00" shipping costs, he wanted to say "€1.5"....And no, no Rolls Royce at all

Uf...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:

If they don't enter that information into their profile, then a search for games "Within 50 miles" of "Zip Code" won't return their product.

Its really this simple.

The lack of a more refined way of searching for market place items for sale by location is the single reason I don't buy items from the marketplace.

At least in the old market place, even though you couldn't search for an item by location, at least it was part of the main BGG site so you could hover over the users flag to see detailed information about where they were from before making a purchase. The new Marketplace doesn't even show a single iota of information other than the country the seller is in.

This has made my attitude towards the market place shift from "I don't mind browsing it just in case something catches my eye" to "Theres no point in even browsing it, because theres no way to even find out where an item is shipping from, even if i decide i might be interested in it". So yea, me not buying from the new market place won't break BGG's revenue stream, but if instead of removing location information altogether, they had gone half-a-step in the opposite direction and allowed listings to be filtered by state - information that users already put in their profile in many cases, I likely would also be using it much more frequently to find games for sale in my region.

Yes, for rare items and hard to find games, the market place might be the best place to go and the location its coming from might not matter.

But by excluding relevant location information from the marketplace, the only thing that happens is an even bigger incentive to just buy from Amazon or eBay where there are no surprises. You know where its coming from and how much it's going to cost to get to you.

It appears that buying from the new Geek Marketplace is an archaic exercise at best and a total crapshoot at worst. But it does look very nice, I will admit.

I don't know why a simple 'search by zipcode' tool can't be added like the majority of websites out there have. Considering a large percentage of users on this website are from the United States, the fact that the lowest level of granularity that shipping location can be found on the marketplace is "Country: United States" is just sad.

Agree wholeheartedly with the OP. In the USA, the location a game is shipping from can make or break the decision to purchase. And if the 5-10$ shipping difference is enough to make or break the purchase, then it's probably going to be purchased on Amazon even if its $1 more than the price + the best possible shipping deal on BGG, since it would avoid the back-and-forth messaging required to first establish whether or not you'd be saving a dollar or losing 6 on the purchase due to shipping costs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Game version.

The new market is totally useless without it because I'm not going to click on each and every game in the search result to see if it's the German version, the French version, the English version or combo International ones.

Filter on Location of Seller

Ditto as above.

The last game I went looking for to buy I didn't even bother to look on the BGG marketplace because it would frustrate the heck out of me and just take too long, so I went to the alternative websites out there. If that's not an indication of how rubbish the current market system is, I don't know what is.

Again, agree completely, both on the seller location point and on the Game Version point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Current
United States
Carmel
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie? - Outlaw Josey Wales
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't a zip code alone solve all shipping cost estimates?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
BC Indy wrote:
Wouldn't a zip code alone solve all shipping cost estimates?

As a seller who has gotten sales from buyers with no zip code/country, I think it should be mandatory for any one who wishes to buy/sell in the marketplace to have a zip/country

Just my 2cents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went here to make a similar subject. Glad it has already been stated. I would LOVE a location filter for the Marketplace!! I bet more sales would occur!

William
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
mbmbmbmbmb
Make a selection to search for people with countries filled in
If unselected, then it's ignored
This function is sorely needed for people who don't live anywhere close to the US and 99% of the sellers are in the US

How about just a 'Seller not in North america' button please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.