GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,565 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Black Fleet» Forums » Reviews

Subject: The Purge: # 416 Black Fleet: Merchants, Pirates and Navy Ships! Oh My! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Black Fleet is a shipping game with Pirates and the Navy Ship that is trying to sink the pirates. You are trying to get money to flip over and purchase cards that lead you to victory.

First, this game is brilliantly over produced. All the components are fantastic and really nice to play with and look at. The game is fun, fast and easy to play. I suspect there is a run away leader problem, but I am not 100% sure. It seems the more of the powers you get the better off you are. So, if you can get a couple cards ahead of the rest then you have a pretty big advantage. The fortune cards tend to even the playing field though.

I had a lot of fun playing this game. It is not a brain burning Euro, instead it is the weight of a Ticket to Ride and makes for a fun family game. I'm hoping there is not a run away leader problem because this could be a family staple.

Keeper.

Components:

This game is so over produced it is awesome. The board is beautiful and fun to look at. The art work is comical cartoonish and it is so great to see. The coins are perhaps the best I've ever seen. The fantastic plastic ships actually carry the cubes. The cards are some of the best I've ever seen.

I have zero complaints about the components they are some of the best I've ever seen.

Rule Book:

The rules are fantastic. I have to say Space Cowboys is a company to watch out for. Even their rules are top notch. The rules are explained in order and you should be playing within minutes. Top notch.

Flow of the Game:

The game is rather easy to play. You have a list of cards in front of you that cost money to flip over. When they are all flipped over, you win. When they are flipped over they give you an additional "power".

You have a merchant ship and a pirate ship. There are also two navy ships that everyone can move around the board.

Merchant -- move your ship to pick up and deliver goods for money

Pirates - they move around the board and steal good (one at a time)

Navy - they shoot down pirate ships

On your turn, you will play one of the two movement cards from your hand. They will move your merchant ship, pirate ship, and one of the two navy ships and possibly let you pick up fortune cards. Fortune cards allow you to do special things and break the rules (you can play as many on a turn as you can).

The goal is to get enough cash to turn over all the cards in front of you and win the game.

To shoot down a pirate ship, you just get adjacent to it. For a pirate to steal from a merchant, he just has to be adjacent. Everything is kept very simple.

Should I buy this game?:

Yes. No joke, this is one of the best new family games I've played in a while. The components are top notch, the game is fun to play, and the art work ties it all together. This is a top notch endeavor and one I would recommend to any family (gamer family or not).

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Carrasco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the review. I had pre-ordered this based on a few short videos I saw from GenCon. I'm glad to see that it sounds like the perfect family game that I was hoping it would be. I think we'll get a lot of use out of this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to hear it...am waiting for my copy.. Wife n kids (including me) are super excited for this one.. I think the excitement may be highest with me though lol. Great review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, any thoughts on how it compares to Pirate's Cove? I thought that game was sort of fun (also with amazing components) but ultimately way too luck based, even for a family game.

Edit: Also, you have an image of zombie cards in the middle of your review - I'm assuming that was a mistake?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. Just played this game for the first time today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Just a note, you appear to have a picture from a different game above your "Components" header. Might want to fix that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
Wow, any thoughts on how it compares to Pirate's Cove? I thought that game was sort of fun (also with amazing components) but ultimately way too luck based, even for a family game.

Edit: Also, you have an image of zombie cards in the middle of your review - I'm assuming that was a mistake?

Fixed. Thanks. I liked it better than Pirates Cove because of the card play. Being able to move all your ships and being on the water mattered a lot. You might go further out of the way to get around that Navy ship/Pirate ship.

The game is light, don't get me wrong, but it is family weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this game yesterday, looking forward to playing it. Surprised you did not mentioned how awesome the insert looks. Though granted I wish it had a tad better storage for the ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.