GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,494 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The counters i see in all images here look like they were printed on an inkjet. Certainly they look different from the previous counters in the series.

Can anyone confirm if their quality is on par with previous editions or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what you are used to in terms of previous counters but...

AVP has been working with laser cut counters "recently". This has been a work-in-progress for a while. I think they are at least getting close!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The counters of the previous editions (at least the ones i own) were glossy and with uniform color. These ones look... washed out?

Observe the non uniform blue background in these... especially around the letters/numbers. They look like they were printed on an inkjet printer.

These are the older ones:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to a post on CSW there is a mother new approach to counter production that can occasionally result is some slightly blurry counters as a result of vibrations during the process. I do not really know what that means. When the counters are right they are incredibly sharp. The result for me is that some of the text on the leader ranks is unreadable on some of the counters, but the numbers are just fine (on the blurry counters).

I also noticed a new coating that appears to be glossy, but does not appear to be "squeegied" and so it appears a bit "mottled". Might also just be a partly plugged valve on a spray gun.

I do not know what the process(es) are. I think the counters are playable, but I sure wish there were a way to prevent those "vibrations".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Schatz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Bought the game, the counters are very poor quality. To dark, thick heavy runny looking printing. Game came damaged in shipping tried to resolve the issues took 6 weeks to get a response. Terrible, customer service. They really weren't interested in resolving the issues.

I won't buy a game from them again

Barry Schatz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bschatz wrote:
Bought the game, the counters are very poor quality. To dark, thick heavy runny looking printing.

Aren't they glossy? Do they wear out?

If you could upload a close up pic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Cesario

Hull
Massachusetts
msg tools
mb
Bought a copy about 4 months ago. despite the reputation for poor quality with their counters,the game counters were nice. I have read a lot about both the poor quality and service concerning AP, but must say the few games I have bought directly from them have arrived quickly and all look fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SalCesario wrote:
Bought a copy about 4 months ago. despite the reputation for poor quality with their counters,the game counters were nice. I have read a lot about both the poor quality and service concerning AP, but must say the few games I have bought directly from them have arrived quickly and all look fine.

A close up picture of the new counters would help a lot. Looking at the few pictures posted here, the counters look washed out and not up to par with the counters from previous AP products...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Townsend
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the batches of counters have ranged from excellent to not so good depending on the counter run. But AP has usually always replaced the poor ones with excellent counters. My Saipan & Mariana counters came in very good shape but my Liberation counters didn't, so I asked for a replacement, which took about two weeks and I returned the old counters back to AP, as they can redo the materials or ship them back to the supplier/printer for credit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Cesario

Hull
Massachusetts
msg tools
mb
After a closer inspection, I must say the newer counters are a bit of a disappointment. Although some of the American units were very nice , many of the Japanese counters were not as nice. A little blurry,and dark.and of course,the game markers were even worse.one side being very dark.dont get me wrong the game is still playable,and the maps are great. But it's to bad, the old style counters would have been fine. Does not mean I will avoid AP' s other upcoming games,just hope the quality will get better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Townsend
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The newer versions of the game now have to standard die-cut counters, which I feel are much better than the original laser counters.

Sometimes AP sells just the counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.