Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
+3 points for each Zone tile that has access to the Highway through empty parcels or Road tiles or a combination of both.

+5 makes all other points scored distant secondary strategies and reducing it to 3 would make them more viable while still preserving the importance (but not absolutely critical) of road scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find especially schools unbalanced against roads, that triggering a residential to build a school tends to block road access. If building that school means just 2 of my zone tiles get blocked from the road, that's 8 vs 10 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me a lot of the fun of the game comes from trying to build as smartly as possible to activate a lot of zones, while still keeping those zones connected to the highway to earn big points. Lowering the value of highway connections would effectively gut that challenge and make the game, on the whole, a much less enjoyable puzzle to solve, IMO...

That said, if you're looking for a more "gateway"-ish experience, I think a variant like this would make sense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the challenge is fun at first but then it starts feeling scripted and constraining after a few games. Also, if someone gets ahead in collecting yellow tiles from the luck of the draw, they have a strong advantage that is hard to overcome. Consider this an additional "scenario" that makes parks and schools more viable choices when drafting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikhil Iyer
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
rahdo wrote:
Lowering the value of highway connections would effectively gut that challenge and make the game, on the whole, a much less enjoyable puzzle to solve, IMO...

At the same time, it would open up alternate building strategies that rely less on roads for points. E.g. college town where schools are your main point source or lake town where money is a big point source or perhaps walking trail town where you max sidewalks and parks.

Of course, you'd still need some roads, but I think that lowering the road connection bonus will expand the strategic space of this game. I would love some thoughts from the designer. He seems quite active on this forum. As it stands, its still a fun game though.

BTW, great runthrough as always Rahdo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ving wrote:
rahdo wrote:
Lowering the value of highway connections would effectively gut that challenge and make the game, on the whole, a much less enjoyable puzzle to solve, IMO...

At the same time, it would open up alternate building strategies that rely less on roads for points. E.g. college town where schools are your main point source or lake town where money is a big point source or perhaps walking trail town where you max sidewalks and parks.

Of course, you'd still need some roads, but I think that lowering the road connection bonus will expand the strategic space of this game.

Which I think it needs after 5-6 plays to feel fresh. I'm almost at 10 plays including some scenarios and road scoring still drives everything in those as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ving wrote:
I would love some thoughts from the designer. He seems quite active on this forum.

Ask and ye shall receive; http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/16839466
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.