United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
designer
I enjoy games about Stalingrad
mbmbmbmbmb
For the shaded portion of this card:
"NVA free Marches into up to 3 spaces then executes any 1 free Op or Special Activity within each, if desired."

The assumption is that the players chooses one type of Op or Special Activity and then resolves that in in each/any of the 3 spaces. (It could even be a second move?)

Not the alternate interpretation that there can be one Op/Sp.Act in each of the three spaces and it could differ between the spaces. (Rally in one, Bombard in the second, March again in the third) [prompted by the 'any' wording]

Which is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do any 1 within each space, so that's 3 potentially different Ops/Activities in 3 different spaces (1 each, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Note that each Op or SA has to take place within its space, so you can't use it to March a second time since that involves leaving the space.

...come to think of it, cross-border Bombards or Ambushes would be out too since their effects involve a different space (so not entirely within a single space). Bombarding or Ambushing targets in the same space the NVA pieces moved to is fine, of course.

Regards, Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Suppose it's the NVA bot playing the shaded Vo Nguyen Giap, how does it choose which Op or SA it conducts in each March space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are special instructions listed in their foldout for this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Doh! I checked everything (the flowchart, the playbook, searched these forums) but the place in which one should look first, the event instructions.

Sorry and thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
masil wrote:
Doh! I checked everything (the flowchart, the playbook, searched these forums) but the place in which one should look first, the event instructions.

Sorry and thanks.

No problem. (Maybe I should just call and give you a personal consultation since I've answered all your questions today! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Turbine2k5 wrote:
(Maybe I should just call and give you a personal consultation since I've answered all your questions today! )

And yesterday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanpassel
Belgium
Tongeren
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turbine2k5 wrote:
There are special instructions listed in their foldout for this card.

What do they mean with "per NVA priorities, then only if all guerrillas active"

Can I attack even if the answer to the first diamond is NO?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Passel88 wrote:
What do they mean with "per NVA priorities, then only if all guerrillas active"

Can I attack even if the answer to the first diamond is NO?

You choose Attack or Ambush only if NVA Attack or Ambush priorities dictate so (essentially in each space with Troops or 4+ Guerrillas.) You only Attack or Ambush with Guerrillas if they are all Active in the space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Koechl
Canada
Elora
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple non-bot related questions:

1. If the NVA marches within Cambodia/Laos, can they march to a second space for free (as part of the free march in the first phrase of the shaded event)?

2. If the lim op chosen is rally, can they improve the trail for free? If 3 rally lim ops are chosen, can the trail be improved for free 3 times?

Thanks!

Nathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marckoechl wrote:
1. If the NVA marches within Cambodia/Laos, can they march to a second space for free (as part of the free march in the first phrase of the shaded event)?

Yep. But each extra destination counts as one of their three spaces.
marckoechl wrote:
2. If the lim op chosen is rally, can they improve the trail for free? If 3 rally lim ops are chosen, can the trail be improved for free 3 times?

They can choose to improve the Trail, but not for free. From 3.3.1 Rally, last paragraph:
Quote:
Rally to Improve the Trail costs 2 even if the Rally was free (3.1.2, 5.5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer...

So the NVA, if in Cambodia or Laos, can use the shaded event to march one space (say, Northeast Cambodia to Southern Laos), then march again (applying the Ops Menu which allows a second march as part of a march op within Laos/Cambodia?) to march again to Binh Dinh, and then do a lim op or special activity?

I hope the question above makes sense - it does in my head...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thegreat2 wrote:
Thanks for the answer...

So the NVA, if in Cambodia or Laos, can use the shaded event to march one space (say, Northeast Cambodia to Southern Laos), then march again (applying the Ops Menu which allows a second march as part of a march op within Laos/Cambodia?) to march again to Binh Dinh, and then do a lim op or special activity?

Yes, but both Southern Laos and Binh Dinh count towards the three spaces the Event allows you to March into.

Regards, Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Could the NVA march from the Parrots Beak to Tay Ninh to Saigon as two of their free marches? The event says ANY three spaces and the PLAYBOOK only says they must be three different spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not with the same units. It is a single March Op, so the Trail rules apply; Tay Ninh isn't part of the Trail.

If the Event text had said "NVA makes 3 free LimOps", it would be possible to move the way you describe by resolving one LimOp after the other.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.