GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,220 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Dungeon Command» Forums » General

Subject: adding to D&DAS games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I was thinking of getting some of the dungeon command sets to add to my D&DAS games and have some general questions....

1). Do all of the minis in dungeon command have conversion cards that allow them to be played with the D&DAS games?? just curious to how many new monsters/allies I would get for my money...

2). Are the monsters from dungeon command a lot harder than the ones in the original D&DAS games?? Do they throw off the balance? I had read that the dungeon command monsters are tougher, but the few images of the cards that I saw for them looked relatively similar to what I am used to...

3). How do the allies in the Heart of Cormyr work? Do they look like regular monster cards on the back and then get shuffled in and used if you draw an ally instead of a monster?

4). I really like more traditional dungeon monsters like orcs, goblins, ogres and skeletons, trolls, demons, dragons etc (instead of some of things like grells, gibbering mouthers etc) If I wanted to play using just those monsters or more themed dungeons ( e.g. an orc dungeon, goblin dungeon, undead dungeon etc) and had to use a large portion of the monsters for a game from the dungeon command sets instead of the ones that normally come with the D&DAS games would that in anyway mess up the balance or the flow of the games?

5).I am no painter. For any other non-painters out there do you find the mixing of the painted minis from Dungeon Command with the unpainted original ones from the D&DAS to be distracting?

6). I mostly play solo--is there anyway to play the dungeon command games solo? For people who just bought them to add to the D&DAS games do you feel that it was worth it?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any thoughts/insights/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Take care and have a great day!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael. I'm a relative newcomer to the D&D AS games, but I think I can answer some of your questions for you.

1) All of the miniatures in The Dungeon Command sets come with D&D AS cards. They are identical to the cards that come with the AS games. So you get good bang for your buck with each DC box.

2) Although I own all the sets, I haven't mixed and matched anything yet, so I can't speak for gameplay balance.

3) The allies are brought into play with a new Event card included in the Cormyr box. If you draw this event card, you draw from the top of the ally deck.

4) Again, I haven't tried this yet so don't know how it would affect balance. You certainly get enough monsters in each box to create a themed dungeon.

5) The miniatures are going to 'look' different. There's no getting around that, unless you elect to paint the AS game minis too. One of the things I like about the miniatures though is they all look like they came from the same source, which they did of course. There's a continuity of detail, and creature size. Some of the paintwork on the DC minis is a bit rough in places. Not terribly awful, but an ink wash wouldn't go astray.

6) I play solo too. DC is specifically designed as a two player game, unlike the AS. I picked the AS and DC boxes up on special about a month ago. I certainly am not disappointed in the DC purchases, although I specifically got them to go with the AS games. In the eventuality I have another player on hand who wants to give it a try, I've always got it for itself as well.

Hope that helps.

Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dastardly Knave
msg tools
mb
Re: adding to D&DAS games?Hi
Hi Michael,

There are a range of monsters in the dungeon command packs. Some are more powerful and some are less so. I own the Cormyr and Gruumsh boxes. The Cormyr Box is mainly hero allies. In the Gruumsh box there are a higher proportion of level 3, 4 and 5 monsters compared to what you find in the D&DAS games. So if you just put the cards in with the mormal monsters the ballence will be shifted. I often play solo and have yet to win a game when doing this!

You can keep the ballance by swapping in and out monsters of the same level.

You can eaisily create coustom dungeons/ adventures. For example using Legend of Drizzt and Blood of Gruumsh:

"Orks have been encroaching in the underdark! find out the cause and stop them." Set up the adventure like normal placing the undergroug river tile between the 9th and 12th tile. Use the LOD monster deck as normal. Once you reveal the underground river "The orks are not working alone! They are slaves of Methil El-Viddenvelp the mind flayer!". Attach the large Blood of Grumsh dungeon tile to the free end of the underground river. From this point in the adventure whenever you need to draw a monster, draw from the Blood of Grumsh monster cards. Kill Methil to win the game.

As for solo, no there is no way (unless you like to pay stratergy games against yourself) but if you can manage to find a playing partner dungeon command is a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for the replies!

I had looked to purchase just the miniatures and D&DAS cards from the dungeon command sets somewhere, but have not had much luck.. with some of the good prices for dungeon command sets that you can sometimes find on amazon it might be cheaper just to buy the whole sets....

So when do allies activate for you? Do you put the drawn ally card in the same row with the monster and trap cards and activate them in the order that they were drawn?

Anthony-great idea using Legend of Drizzt and Blood of Gruumish set together!! Thanks! In that example how would you play with the large tile from the Dungeon command set? Does it connect easily to the D&DAS tiles? Is there a spot for monsters to spawn on it? Would it be considered 1 large tile or would you break it into 4 tile sections for purpose of exploration, encounter cards and monster movement etc?

It sounds like all of the Dungeon Command sets are good and I may eventually get them all, but in the interest of cost and storage space do you guys have any recommendations on which might be better for use with the D&DAS game and higher priority to get than others?

Thanks again and have a great day!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dastardly Knave
msg tools
mb
The tiles from Dungeon command have the same jigsaw connectors as the D&DAS. They are not split into smaller sections and do not have monster spawning points. That would be an issue with the scenario I proposed but it was mainly to illustrate the kind of thing that can be put together quickly. You would probably need to decide on some house rules for picking encounters, monster placement etc. No need to include the Dungeon Command tiles but the options are there.

Allies act first during step 3 of the villain phase. So before monsters you control. They have a similar AI set-up. Unfortunately, There is only one copy of the "a familiar voice" card which is the event that allows you to pick an ally. This comes in the Cormyr box. This means that it doesn't come up very often. You can always choose to use an ally or two while playing solo to add a bit of verity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

I have played the D&DAS games solo both playing 1 character and multiple characters. Playing multiple characters does sometimes become a little fiddly to manage with all of the cards, tokens and things to keep track of and takes up a lot of space so playing solo with 1 character from the games with an ally or 2 from the Heart of Cormyr may be a good alternative. Since the ally cards don't explore new tiles and thereby create new monsters to be drawn there might possibly be some balance issues?? If so perhaps the tougher monsters from the dungeon command sets might balance that out? Or perhaps a house rule where 2 monsters are spawned if you have allies?

Do traps and curses/conditions from event cards affect allies or just the heroes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dastardly Knave
msg tools
mb
"Allies count as heroes for the purpose of Encounter cards, Monster tactics and hero powers." Ally Rules card, heart of Cormyr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot1 you have been a lot of help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.