Subject: What team would be good for me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm considering getting into a miniatures hobby game with a low amount of miniatures and was wondering if you could steer me to a team that might fit my style.

I tend to like defensive play with the ability to counter attack from time to time.

Is there even a defensive team in this game? it seems to emphasize quick aggressive play. If that is the case could you give me a one sentence description of each of the teams styles?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike kohlhepp
United States
allentown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to play the forge fathers. They are a sit back and see what happens sort of team. Slow moving but can pack a punch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teraton or Forge Fathers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
mbmbmbmbmb
While the Forge Fathers are billed a defensive team, my league finds them to be a bit "broken." The dwarf striker is far too fragile in gameplay to offer much strategy. Unless you consider benching your strikers and relying on jacks as a strategy...
For a better defense team, I'd consider the Teratons (sp). They can teleport out of danger, but can also pack a punch. Not the greatest with scoring, but not impossible.
Another team that may work for you; The Nameless. They have excellent strikers (for scoring), but they have a bit of a glass jaw. The Nameless don't have any jacks, because they have TWO guard types. Use them in tandem, and you can get some great combos working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joshua

Welcome to the world of Dreadball. I'm sure that you will have a great time with whichever team you decide to pick, but I can hopefully give you a better idea (although I haven't played with every team):

1) Void Sirens - these are the "basic" Humans, but with a bit of a twist. They have 4+ stats across the board, meaning they have no glaring weaknesses and can hold their own against pretty much anyone. They also have two cool abilities for someone starting out. First off, they have four coaching dice which is great as you can freely use them as needed without fear of burning them too much. This is very forgiving for a new player. Second, their Jacks have "Run Interference" which means you can interrupt an opposing player's turn and make a one hex Slam against an opponent player. This really helps control the tempo of the game.

2) Z'zor - they have a pretty deadly Guard who hits on a 3+ and every single one of their players have "Can't Feel A Thing" which means you need one less armour save when determingin injuries which is really nice. Their Jacks are quite well rounded so you can play both offensively and defensively with them and support as needed. Their Strikers only have a 5+ Skill, so you need to set-up your scores fairly carefully with them, but it does allow a sit back type approach.

3) Robots - these guys are a bit tougher to wrap your head around as they all start out as Jacks, but can transform mid game to whatever role they may require. If you need a couple of Strikers to get your score up, you can have them. If you need a couple of Guards to pummel the opponent, you can have them too. It does take actions in order to Transform, but you have the flexibility to tailor your team to whatever you need at the time. Just don't burn your actions too much swapping back and forth if you can.

Even the Greenskins can be seen as "defensive" as you start the first half of the game defending your zone and taking out the opponents players with your Orx. Then, once you knock a few guys out, your Goblins can run freely around and score some points. Heck, even if they game goes to sudden death, if you take out all their players who can handle the ball, then you will win eventually. I wouldn't call them a sit back and wait kind of team though.

Honestly, for the cost, pick up a team and see what you think of them. The game is amazingly fun and every team has their strengths. I left off all Season 3 teams as they all require a bit more tactics to get the most out of them so for a player just starting out, I would probably steer clear of them for now.

I really, really like my Z'zor team, but they are not for everyone. They play better in a league as you can start customizing their abilities a bit more (nothing better than a Z'zor Guard with 360 Vision), but I would have to say that I would lean you towards the Void Sirens as a first team based on your comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback every one. I ended up going with Void Sirens. It was a bit of a battle to pick one team. The Robots looked really cool to me too, but I liked the idea of the "run interference" ability the Void Siren's Jacks have. Sounds like that will give them a lot of flexibility and just help them in general hassling the opposing team.

It was hard to pick just one team but I don't want to overwhelm myself with a ton of unpainted minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ClanNatioy wrote:

It was hard to pick just one team but I don't want to overwhelm myself with a ton of unpainted minis.

Up till now, you were making so much sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ClanNatioy wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback every one. I ended up going with Void Sirens. It was a bit of a battle to pick one team. The Robots looked really cool to me too, but I liked the idea of the "run interference" ability the Void Siren's Jacks have. Sounds like that will give them a lot of flexibility and just help them in general hassling the opposing team.

Having played the robots in a league I'm unlikely to play more than the odd pick-up game with them. That's not because they performed poorly however, as I actually did very well with them (5 wins - 2 losses, two of the wins were 7-0 blowout victories). My complaints with them are two-fold:

1. They have no subs - the teams roster only starts with 6 players, and they are very expensive to buy. You're likely going to be down a man quite often during the game.
2. Transforming is action intensive - you won't want to use the transform action very often, and your first rush or two will seem slow because you're trying to set up the team in the roles you need.

As to the original poster's question, I think Orx would be a good team to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obsidian3d wrote:
Your first rush or two will seem slow because you're trying to set up the team in the roles you need.

I see this said about Robots all the time but do not find it to be true. You should only change positions when you absolutely have to, otherwise just stick to Jack form, this is even more the case when you play leagues and your players start to get experience. I think the most action tokens I used for position changes in a single game throughout the whole league was three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drewcula wrote:
While the Forge Fathers are billed a defensive team, my league finds them to be a bit "broken." The dwarf striker is far too fragile in gameplay to offer much strategy. Unless you consider benching your strikers and relying on jacks as a strategy...
For a better defense team, I'd consider the Teratons (sp). They can teleport out of danger, but can also pack a punch. Not the greatest with scoring, but not impossible.
Another team that may work for you; The Nameless. They have excellent strikers (for scoring), but they have a bit of a glass jaw. The Nameless don't have any jacks, because they have TWO guard types. Use them in tandem, and you can get some great combos working.

That is how you should play with forge fathers, strikers pick up the ball and get it to. your jacks.

Okay maybe not should but it's a great way to pla forge fathers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.