Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the game limited to 5 flavor dice? In other words, if all five flavor dice have been collected by other players via researching the black bean, can I collect flavor dice too? Or would I have to do something else until they are used by the other players?

For Shared Research, how many times can this piggy back? Say, player B has his token on player A's yellow track, and player C has his token on player B's yellow track. If A decides to research yellow, B will collect the research points, but will player C as well?

For Research Boost, can you give the point of research to someone who has already filled his research track for the color rolled?

Finally, can Shared Research trigger during Research Boost? Say player A rolls white for her Research Boost, and she chooses for player B to take a white point of research. If A has her Shared Research token on B's white track, will the point kick back to her?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall the rules stating at some point that you can only take what's available in the supply. So if that's nothing, you take nothing regardless of how many black beans you rolled that turn.

Maybe I'm wrong though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mospinach wrote:
I recall the rules stating at some point that you can only take what's available in the supply. So if that's nothing, you take nothing regardless of how many black beans you rolled that turn.

Maybe I'm wrong though...

You're not wrong.

Andrew, for your other questions, I play it that each can trigger once (per FAQ) but they can chain. You shouldn't be able to boost someone who is maxed already, though forcing someone to lose the ability by maxing them out is a great play.

I'm not sure that's all right so hopefully TC will chime in as he usually does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Petty III
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll jump in with some quick answers. Most of these are addressed in the FAQ/Clarification PDF at Dicehatemegames.com or here on BGG if more questions pop up.

pieforteeth wrote:
Is the game limited to 5 flavor dice? In other words, if all five flavor dice have been collected by other players via researching the black bean, can I collect flavor dice too? Or would I have to do something else until they are used by the other players?

Yes. What you see on the Flavor Coaster is what is available for you to obtain on your turn.

(Flavor Dice are always rolled and returned to the Coaster the turn after a player has obtained them, so they will become available again later.)
pieforteeth wrote:
For Shared Research, how many times can this piggy back? Say, player B has his token on player A's yellow track, and player C has his token on player B's yellow track. If A decides to research yellow, B will collect the research points, but will player C as well?

Once. In this example, Player A researches the points and Player B benefits. Player C receives nothing. A player only receives points during the targeted player's ROLL portion of their turn. Since it is not Player B's turn, Player C receives no points.

This also prevents the INFINITE LOOP problem where Player A RESEARCH BOOSTS Player B's yellow track, so Player B decides to RESEARCH BOOST Player A's yellow track. If the distinction of "that player's ROLL" didn't exists, the Tracks would immediately bounce back and forth, filling for both players when a player received 1 RP in that track.
pieforteeth wrote:
For Research Boost, can you give the point of research to someone who has already filled his research track for the color rolled?

Copy and pasting this one from the FAQ:
"All abilities must have a legal target. For example, if you have to give 2RP in brown, you can’t waste them by donating them to a player that has already completed the brown track. If there is no legal target, you can’t take the action."
pieforteeth wrote:
Finally, can Shared Research trigger during Research Boost? Say player A rolls white for her Research Boost, and she chooses for player B to take a white point of research. If A has her Shared Research token on B's white track, will the point kick back to her?

No. And this is one of those more complex situations dealing with Phases of a turn. RESEARCH BOOST only activates during the targeted player's "Roll" not during "Activate" (which I think of as kinda like the "end of turn" phase). So any abilities that cause player's to gain RP during Activate would not trigger RESEARCH BOOST.

Honestly, in this situation whatever is most comfortable for teaching or whichever sounds more fun as this specific ruling is very very minor. I put it in as a preventive measure for expansion abilities that might cause some chaos later. Like Bill said, some prefer a little bit of extra chaining, or forcing of player's to the end of a track earlier than expected. So choose a way to play and stick with it. When the tournament leagues begin though, be sure to have this rule memorized!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TC, will you add the chaining item to the FAQ? It probably deserves a mention.

The interesting thing is one may want to boost another player that is being "shared with" just to take away the 3rd player's benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, TC. We've really been enjoying the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.