Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play a lot of ASL and one of the things I absolutely HATED - and I think I was the only person on the planet - were the frikking geomorphic boards. It was always impossible to get terrain that resembled the actual battlefield. For all the talk about ASL realism, I found it surprising that everyone was able to tolerate the geography being all wrong on almost every scenario without even a second thought.

Just for fun, I decided to see how close our Map #1 is to the real thing.

The Pond is immediately recognizable and it looks like there are buildings off to the southwest. The crossroads that we have to the south of the pond on Map 1 appears to be to the north instead BUT there is a second fainter crossroads to the south that looks like it might be the one we have in game on map 1.

You can see the road in the east, that the Russians try to use for their exit VP, but it looks like the two forests that figure heavily in game have both been cut down by now.

Quite nice! Makes me very happy to see how much effort was taken in making this map close to the actual terrain over which the 2 armies fought all those years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you played "a lot" of ASL, you should be aware that ASL has historical modules that use actual terrain maps.

CC was developed just like ASL, the original game had only random scenarios and generic terrain, and the historical maps and scenarios came later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone was not able to tolerate it, hence the birth of HASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
If you played "a lot" of ASL, you should be aware that ASL has historical modules that use actual terrain maps.

Definitely - those were always my favorite to play. Hard to find a HASL map that wasn't polluted by tons of special rules though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this also to scale with the CC maps? For me, it's fine if they aren't. Just curious. It looks like the geographic map is a depiction of a much larger geographic area than that presented on the game map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
It looks like the geographic map is a depiction of a much larger geographic area than that presented on the game map.

How can you tell how large an area the game map represents? The rulebook says each hex is about 30 meters across, are you going by that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
cmontgo2 wrote:
It looks like the geographic map is a depiction of a much larger geographic area than that presented on the game map.

How can you tell how large an area the game map represents? The rulebook says each hex is about 30 meters across, are you going by that?

Yep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this fun bit of "realism" out.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/707182/coincidence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bailey
United States
Carrboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool, thanks for that. Also, HOW DARE YOU SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT ASL!! WTF????!!!! played "ALOT" huh? yeah right!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WBRP wrote:
Everyone was not able to tolerate it, hence the birth of HASL.
Best acronym ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.