GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,031 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Letters from Whitechapel» Forums » General

Subject: Jack the Ripper Identified! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that are interested. Looks like we finally have a face and name. 126 years later...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2746321/Jack-Ripper-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting if legitimate... But there have been several books before claiming to have solved the case so I would like to see this stand scrutiny for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. It is the Daily Mail so take with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Bee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hasn't he been identified over and over again ?
Mankind will never find out, who he really was...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember a quote from a book on the Ripper I read. Went something along the lines of when "when judgment day comes and all are called to account, and Jack The Ripper stands up and says "It was me" we may all look at him and go "who?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
The title of this thread should be "Daily Mail Says Jack the Ripper Identified!" That would put the "discovery" in proper context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
The title of this thread should be "Daily Mail Says Jack the Ripper Identified!" That would put the "discovery" in proper context.
What part of their article would be most under dispute?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The part about a book being published appears real, it's listed for preorder on Amazon and comes out in 2 days.

So, there seems to be a good chance that the article is intended to boost book sales and my personal feeling is that by selecting such a short lead time they remove any chance of being widely discredited until after people buy the book.

Until their DNA analysis and procedures can be reviewed, validated, and REPEATED, you can't count this as being accurate.

I wasn't aware of the Daily Mail's reputation - is this a tabloid type paper?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.ssf/2014/09/jack_the_r...

Apparently this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who don't allow their computer to visit Daily Fail sites here's the Mirror's take on things: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jack-ripper-murder-myst...

The only concern is that the protagonist has obviously sunk quite a bit of money into buying the shawl and so has quite the vested interest (and possibly a book?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The news appeared in The Guardian too.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/sep/08/jack-the-ripp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Arcangeli
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
I wasn't aware of the Daily Mail's reputation - is this a tabloid type paper?

Worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say... I KNEW IT !

Also knew he lived at 100.

Yep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brimer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not saying the man is a liar, but I will it is a wonderful way to sell a book. Many people will buy it, and pour countless hours into disproving him. If they do, by that time, he'll have made plenty of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the thing...

He claims that they identified Jack by DNA matching of semen stains on the shawl. A shawl that belongs to a hooker. Someone who is basically in the business of collecting semen stains.

Even if the DNA match is valid (I feel there is a good chance that it isn't given the source and prior unsuccessful DNA analysis), the most it could prove is that Kosminski was probably one of her many customers but that's a far cry from proving that he was the kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Here's the thing...

He claims that they identified Jack by DNA matching of semen stains on the shawl. A shawl that belongs to a hooker. Someone who is basically in the business of collecting semen stains.

Even if the DNA match is valid (I feel there is a good chance that it isn't given the source and prior unsuccessful DNA analysis), the most it could prove is that Kosminski was probably one of her many customers but that's a far cry from proving that he was the kill.

If you read the whole article, the shawl was not hers but allegedly given to her by Kosminski. The shawl was linked to the holiday and dates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did, but as far as I can tell this is not proven - it is just a claim the author makes. While it seems plausible that the shawl could have been a bit expensive for her to afford, that is scarcely airtight. It could have been a gift from anyone else, inherited, etc... Being a holiday themed shawl is a good find, but still insufficient to prove it was given by Kosminski.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
I did, but as far as I can tell this is not proven - it is just a claim the author makes. While it seems plausible that the shawl could have been a bit expensive for her to afford, that is scarcely airtight. It could have been a gift from anyone else, inherited, etc... Being a holiday themed shawl is a good find, but still insufficient to prove it was given by Kosminski.

Well, the whole thing isn't proven except by these two. The assertion appears to that there wasn't a plethora of sperm samples, though they don't say it outright. Sounds like just the two of them showed up as DNA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.