Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
87 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Board Game: Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hoarder Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Thomson
msg tools
The Win Condition for Hoarder is that: you must have more cards in your hand than any other player.

We have a tie in the number of cards in the Hoarder and another player. However the Hoarder has more cards than the other players in the game.

The question... does this mean that any other player means only one player or all players?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
A trial needs witnesses and evidence not a coverup.
Avatar
Microbadge: Tactical Space Combat Games fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Proud GrandparentMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars Fan
You need more than all players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: I ♥ Nikki ValensMicrobadge: Level 18 BGG posterMicrobadge: Caylus fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Feminism
TheJayde wrote:
The Win Condition for Hoarder is that: you must have more cards in your hand than any other player.

We have a tie in the number of cards in the Hoarder and another player. However the Hoarder has more cards than the other players in the game.

The question... does this mean that any other player means only one player or all players?
All players would be the interpretation of the rule, presuming it says exactly what you shared.

Also, maybe I'm missing something, but you said the players tied, but one had more cards. Can you elaborate.

Edit: ninja 'ed
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thomson
msg tools
It says 'Any Other Player". I seems ambiguous. Like it should be "all other players", or "Any one player." The phrasing "any other player" by the rules of the language suggests either depending on the emphasis.

We had a guy who was a Hoarder. He had 8 cards in hand. We had another player who had 8 cards in his hand as well. However the two other players had 3 or 2 cards. The Hoarder has more cards than two players, but equals another.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Play By Forum Game RefereeMicrobadge: Mice and Mystics fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: Fan of Sparky the Stunt Dog!Microbadge: Detroit Red Wings fan
Loss. The hoarder needs 9 to win.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thomson
msg tools
But the hoarder beat two players. Any other player, seems to me like the hoarder would choose any other player to compete against, and use them to define their victory.

The hoarder beat another player.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Spielworxx fanMicrobadge: Capstone Games fanMicrobadge: Vital Lacerda fanMicrobadge: What's Your Game fanMicrobadge: FC Porto fan
Any other player means that any other player has to have fewr cards than him to him...

It means you check the number of cards of player 1... Does he have less cards than the Hoarder? Yes... Then check player 2... Yes? Than check player 3... He has the same number, you don't have to check any more... Objective failed!

If it was like you say it would be almost impossible for the hoarder not to win, in a 4 or 5 player game he just had to have more cards than 1 other player? That makes no sense... Who would be consideredd a Hoarder with 1 or 2 cards???

Want it or not, everyone else here agrees that it means all the players...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gut feeling in this case is "any" really means "the player with the most cards".

Statement:
I have never played a game with any person.
Is this true?

Of course it is, there is someone in China who is this "any" person, and I have never played a game with her.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thomson
msg tools
Have I ever won a game of Chess against any other person? I have.

Its an ambiguous statement and goes either way.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Spielworxx fanMicrobadge: Capstone Games fanMicrobadge: Vital Lacerda fanMicrobadge: What's Your Game fanMicrobadge: FC Porto fan
TheJayde wrote:
Have I ever won a game of Chess against any other person? I have.

Its an ambiguous statement and goes either way.
Really???

Man if you were so sure of the right way to interpret it why did you come here to ask the question??

It's obvious that anyone else here is wrong but you
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thomson
msg tools
I would have suggested that it could go either way no matter the result. We are currently wondering as a group what the results are.

There is an issue either way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Play By Forum Game RefereeMicrobadge: Mice and Mystics fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: Fan of Sparky the Stunt Dog!Microbadge: Detroit Red Wings fan
Chris, You need to have the most cards. Accept it and move on, or houserule whatever you want, but this is beyond silly now.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thomson
msg tools
There is no houserule to apply to an ambiguous statement. Both statements are true.

To me... there is no clear way to define it. If you have to beat any single character, its too easy. If you have to beat all other players its tough.

Particularly compared to having to have two med stats or more characters in your following.

In fact... a similar mechanic... Leadership has a different language, stating that you must have the MOST characters in your following.

The inconsistent language makes it tough to gauge where this is supposed to land.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: I ♥ Nikki ValensMicrobadge: Level 18 BGG posterMicrobadge: Caylus fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Feminism
To a native English speaker,it is not an ambiguous phrase.

'Any' and 'all' get colloquially interchanged (though 'all' is probably more cortect).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
A trial needs witnesses and evidence not a coverup.
Avatar
Microbadge: Tactical Space Combat Games fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Proud GrandparentMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars Fan
From dictionary.com

Dictionary.com wrote:
Any:
adjective

1. one, a, an, or some; one or more without specification or identification:
If you have any witnesses, produce them. Pick out any six you like.

2. whatever or whichever it may be:
cheap at any price.

3. in whatever quantity or number, great or small; some:
Do you have any butter?

4. every; all:
Any schoolboy would know that. Read any books you find on the subject.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Woll
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Agricola fanMicrobadge: Biblios fanMicrobadge: Phineas and Ferb fanMicrobadge: Terry Pratchett fanMicrobadge: Parent of One Boy
Sydcomebak wrote:
Chris, You need to have the most cards. Accept it and move on, or houserule whatever you want, but this is beyond silly now.
In your opinion why did the rules editor not choose to say "more cards than ALL other players"?

If that is the intent then why not write it that way?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thomson
msg tools
Any:
adjective

1. one, a, an, or some; one or more without specification or identification:
If you have any witnesses, produce them. Pick out any six you like.

2. whatever or whichever it may be:
cheap at any price.

3. in whatever quantity or number, great or small; some:
Do you have any butter?

4. every; all:
Any schoolboy would know that. Read any books you find on the subject.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nswoll wrote:
In your opinion why did the rules editor not choose to say "more cards than ALL other players"?

If that is the intent then why not write it that way?
Because someone would interpret that to mean the combined cards of ALL other players?
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Play By Forum Game RefereeMicrobadge: Mice and Mystics fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: Fan of Sparky the Stunt Dog!Microbadge: Detroit Red Wings fan
nswoll wrote:
In your opinion why did the rules editor not choose to say "more cards than ALL other players"?

If that is the intent then why not write it that way?
Because to most people, the word "All" is not needed for the meaning to come through clearly.

If anything, add an "s" to "player".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thomson
msg tools
chockle wrote:
nswoll wrote:
In your opinion why did the rules editor not choose to say "more cards than ALL other players"?

If that is the intent then why not write it that way?
Because someone would interpret that to mean the combined cards of ALL other players?
The clear, and most definitive way to state that would be to say; You must have more cards in your hand than each other player.

In the opposite side, it may read; you must have more cards in your hand than any one player.

Furthermore, there is a card that actually has similar conditions, and it is worded differently because it states most.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheJayde wrote:
It says 'Any Other Player". I seems ambiguous. Like it should be "all other players", or "Any one player." The phrasing "any other player" by the rules of the language suggests either depending on the emphasis.

We had a guy who was a Hoarder. He had 8 cards in hand. We had another player who had 8 cards in his hand as well. However the two other players had 3 or 2 cards. The Hoarder has more cards than two players, but equals another.
I'm thinking the intent is to have more cards than all other players. Perhaps it should have said "you have to be the player with the most cards in their hand"

If it were simply that you needed to have more cards than "any" as in "one" player, then in the above example, if the player with 3 cards in their hand had the Hoarder objective, wouldn't they be considered to have fulfilled it because they had more cards than the player with only 2 cards. That doesn't sound like a Hoarder, when there are two other players with 8 cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: BookendMicrobadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: Bookend
"You need to be the player with most cards in your hand" would solve it, right!?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Play By Forum Game RefereeMicrobadge: Mice and Mystics fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: Fan of Sparky the Stunt Dog!Microbadge: Detroit Red Wings fan
Aren't you the only player with cards in YOUR hand?

See how this can get more and more stupid?
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: BookendMicrobadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: Bookend
Sydcomebak wrote:
Aren't you the only player with cards in YOUR hand?

See how this can get more and more stupid?
Sure!
In my gaming group it would rather quickly come down to the person who'd had intercourse with most persons being the automatic winner of the whole game... whistle
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Play By Forum Game RefereeMicrobadge: Mice and Mystics fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: Fan of Sparky the Stunt Dog!Microbadge: Detroit Red Wings fan
Awww yeah... Except that's "Playa" not "Player".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |