17 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » General

Subject: Christmas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Thomson
msg tools
The Crossroads card reads:

Spend 5 food. Gain 1 morale. If forest plum is...

Is the Spend 5 food a requirement to the thing? If we do not have 5 food in our supply, does that mean we just gain one morale and pay no food?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd argue it was a requirement. Otherwise, you'd acquire reward with zero cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to answer this because you'll just argue with it and not accept it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1231853/hoarder-question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thomson
msg tools
Shot gun produces one sound at a location. At the colony it has no effect.

I don't know if that means anything, but it seems to me some costs, in some situations just aren't applicable. I wish it was more clear. I guess it doesn't really matter either way.

What about the effect with Forest Plum? If he is in play you could vote up to let him go the grocery store and grab stuff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheJayde wrote:
Shot gun produces one sound at a location. At the colony it has no effect.

I don't know if that means anything, but it seems to me some costs, in some situations just aren't applicable. I wish it was more clear. I guess it doesn't really matter either way.

What about the effect with Forest Plum? If he is in play you could vote up to let him go the grocery store and grab stuff?
I really don't know what to say when faced you things like this!!! Amazing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thomson
msg tools
Another effect that works similarly with some effects simply not taking place.

When exiled, playing a 2 Survivor Card, or 3 Survivor Card does not place helpless tokens in the colony. They just.. go away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Woll
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydcomebak wrote:
I don't want to answer this because you'll just argue with it and not accept it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1231853/hoarder-question
You aren't the designer so why would anyone just accept your OPINION on a rule? I don't think it's that unusual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Woll
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheJayde wrote:
The Crossroads card reads:

Spend 5 food. Gain 1 morale. If forest plum is...

Is the Spend 5 food a requirement to the thing? If we do not have 5 food in our supply, does that mean we just gain one morale and pay no food?
I don't know the card but from what you posted here "Spend 5 food" and "Gain 1 morale" are clearly different sentences and have nothing that indicates they are tied together. If the intent was that you had to spend 5 food in order to get the 1 morale then it would have been very easy to say this - "Spend 5 food to gain 1 morale".

I say you do the first sentence (if possible) then you do the second sentence (if possible).

I will await the designer's clarification of course...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thomson
msg tools
That is what I'm thinking. As they are separate sentences.

It could also read... Spend 5 food; Gain one moral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Semantics aside, I don't think the card makes any sense in the context of the game unless you pay the five food to gain one morale.

I think the card is supposed to mean that it is Christmas, and if the colony has enough food for a big Yuletide celebration, it will lift everybody's spirits.

I think, in general, that if you're confused about a card's intent, you should interpret in a story perspective, rather than turn to the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary for punctuation granted loopholes...

zombiezombiezombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thomson
msg tools
jtspecial wrote:
Semantics aside, I don't think the card makes any sense in the context of the game unless you pay the five food to gain one morale.

I think the card is supposed to mean that it is Christmas, and if the colony has enough food for a big Yuletide celebration, it will lift everybody's spirits.

I think, in general, that if you're confused about a card's intent, you should interpret in a story perspective, rather than turn to the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary for punctuation granted loopholes...

zombiezombiezombie

I agree. Though I don't see any reason why Forest Plum couldn't go raid the Grocery store for cards to give to his allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The first part was about the food in relation to the morale, but I agree, if the colony voted yes without having, or wanting to spend, the five food, they could still have a bit of a Christmas thing going by sending Santa to the store...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thomson
msg tools
Edited

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thomson
msg tools
Funny thing. Last game that we played, we were generating 9 zombies a round at the colony because there was so many helpless/helpful survivors. There is no way 5 food would feed everyone belonging to the colony under those circumstances. Then, if we had it at the beginning of the game, where there is only 6 characters, that could be too much.

Probably would be better if it was 2 food per non exiled player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheJayde wrote:
Funny thing. Last game that we played, we were generating 9 zombies a round at the colony because there was so many helpless/helpful survivors. There is no way 5 food would feed everyone belonging to the colony under those circumstances. Then, if we had it at the beginning of the game, where there is only 6 characters, that could be too much.

I believe this card must have been mentioned in another thread because someone was complaining about a crossroads card that required 5 food to get the reward, but they didn't have 5 food. So this person was upset and disappointed that there were some crossroads cards that were unattainable.

Not always going to have 5 food to spare, but sometimes there may be a good bit of food that players may have built up earlier and only a few total survivors at the colony during the time the crossroads card came out.

As to generating 9 zombies per round at the colony because of helpless/helpful survivors, how do you get 17 or 18 survivors (helpful and/or helpless) in the colony to generate so many zombies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
As to generating 9 zombies per round at the colony because of helpless/helpful survivors, how do you get 17 or 18 survivors (helpful and/or helpless) in the colony to generate so many zombies?
Chris may think that you add 1 zombie per survivor at the colony instead of #/2 like the rules say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thomson
msg tools
Hahma wrote:
TheJayde wrote:

I believe this card must have been mentioned in another thread because someone was complaining about a crossroads card that required 5 food to get the reward, but they didn't have 5 food. So this person was upset and disappointed that there were some crossroads cards that were unattainable.

Not always going to have 5 food to spare, but sometimes there may be a good bit of food that players may have built up earlier and only a few total survivors at the colony during the time the crossroads card came out.

We had the scenario where you have to stand for 8 rounds and we had 5 players. One of which had David Garcia who searches for survivors. By the end of the game, we had almost every deck completely depleted, except for the Police station that had one card, the Gas Station, and the Library which were almost empty as well. We had many of our characters at the colony. 8 Helpless survivors and even more actual survivors. We had more helpless survivors but lost a couple from the Crossroad cards.

We got a lot of characters early, and it gave us a lot of extra action dice, which helped us search for more survivors. I had David Garcia actually and had four '2 Survivor' Cards in my hand still by the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls