GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,241 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: How does dying work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Man
msg tools
I imagine Joe Stormtrooper is just toast, but the important characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All we know so far is if you gain hits equal to your health, you flip your card to the Wounded side. Then if it happens again, you die permanently.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you take hits equal to your health the first time you lose an ability and are "wounded".

If you take hits equal to your health a second time you "retreat". What happens when you "retreat" depends on the scenario. In some scenarios you are gone for the rest of the mission. In the scenario demoed at GenCon the retreated hero is reduced to one action and can only chose move for that action.

In most scenarios the imperial player wins if he wounds all heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Fort Hood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does dying work?

You die and then you either go to heaven or hell. If you go to heaven "no worries", if you go to hell, your going to be too busy playing games with everybody to be worried about anything else.

Sorry, I could not resist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
All we know so far is if you gain hits equal to your health, you flip your card to the Wounded side. Then if it happens again, you die permanently.

-shnar

Wounded takes your ability, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
If you take hits equal to your health the first time you lose an ability and are "wounded".

If you take hits equal to your health a second time you "retreat". What happens when you "retreat" depends on the scenario. In some scenarios you are gone for the rest of the mission. In the scenario demoed at GenCon the retreated hero is reduced to one action and can only chose move for that action.

In most scenarios the imperial player wins if he wounds all heroes.

That's good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this is a big improvement. "Death" has teeth now. While I like permadeath in theory, I am glad this is not included here, but I like this a lot more then either the D2E method or the D1E method.

I also like how death hurts the Imperial player. The D2E reinforcement system didn't work. Often it was better to Stun or Immobilize bad guys then kill them unless you could kill multiple bad guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Martinez
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michaelwmcfall wrote:
How does dying work?

You die and then you either go to heaven or hell. If you go to heaven "no worries", if you go to hell, your going to be too busy playing games with everybody to be worried about anything else.

Sorry, I could not resist.

Well that's only in the Abrahamic Religions, with the Dharmic Religions it's a bit more complicated and I believe it's about seeking oneness with the Universe, as we've seen Yoda and Obi-Wan achieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Fort Hood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Well that's only in the Abrahamic Religions, with the Dharmic Religions it's a bit more complicated and I believe it's about seeking oneness with the Universe, as we've seen Yoda and Obi-Wan achieve.

Good point. I am sure there is similar humor somewhere in the Yoda and Obi-Wan achieves. I will spare everyone and not try it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
If a hero goes down first time, he is wounded. Flips his hero chart and removes all damage/wound tokens. He still does keep his strain up to his maximum endurance (so if he had 4 strain before, he might have only 3 strain afterwards).

What's unclear to me is if you get "focus" as a wookie if you take 3+ damage but only require to take 2 to get wounded, cause the rules say you cannot take more damage than you have health or strain than you have endurance ever, afaik.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
If a hero goes down first time, he is wounded. Flips his hero chart and removes all damage/wound tokens. He still does keep his strain up to his maximum endurance (so if he had 4 strain before, he might have only 3 strain afterwards).

What's unclear to me is if you get "focus" as a wookie if you take 3+ damage but only require to take 2 to get wounded, cause the rules say you cannot take more damage than you have health or strain than you have endurance ever, afaik.

Confused by your question Jo. Doesn't Gaarkhan lose Rage if he is wounded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
Confused by your question Jo. Doesn't Gaarkhan lose Rage if he is wounded?

I thought of this one when I was answering the question in the other thread it was asked. Nothing in the Reference Guide infers that you discard any Condition cards when you are Defeated/Wounded, so if he becomes focused due to the attack before being Defeated, it would activate.

However, I just looked at the wording of Rage and agree with you that it makes the point moot. Rage triggers after an attack targeting Gaarkhan is resolved. You become Defeated and Wounded before the attack finishes resolving, and Gaarkhan loses Rage when he is wounded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree however. Nothing in the rules says that you get wounded before the attack finishes resolving. I do agree from a thematic point of you that you COULD argue that he becomes wounded and thus a.) loses all statuses and b.) does not gain any status benefits (or even drawbacks, like stun. But... in terms of Rules as Written, I don't think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, two situations here with the Wookiee

1) He has 2 hits left before getting wounded and he takes three damage.
2) He has 3 hits left before getting wounded and he takes three damage.

Situation 1 seems straightforward to me. He cannot take 3 damage, so no matter what, Rage won't activate. (Because you can't take more damage than you have health.)

Situation 2, though. That's a little tougher. I need to do more digging on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
I don't agree however. Nothing in the rules says that you get wounded before the attack finishes resolving. I do agree from a thematic point of you that you COULD argue that he becomes wounded and thus a.) loses all statuses and b.) does not gain any status benefits (or even drawbacks, like stun. But... in terms of Rules as Written, I don't think so.

Nothing in the rules says to lose Conditions when you become Defeated or Wounded. I think that if you were attacked by an attack with Stun and were also defeated, you would become Wounded and then become Stunned (as the rules say to apply Condition keywords from attacks after an Attack resolves).

As for the timing of when you become Wounded, the final stage of an Attack (Step 7 on page 5 of the RG) is to Calculate and apply the Damage. The rules for Damage and Defeat say that when you apply enough Damage to equal your Health, you become Wounded. This will happen during the Calculate Damage step as you are applying the tokens.

Given this, you will be Wounded before the Attack finishes resolving and you lose the ability that would have made you Focused.

If you instead assume that the attack is resolved immediately after applying the Damage (hence the Wookiee is Defeated and triggers the ability at the same time), then we can use the rules for Timing and Conflicts. The rules for Timing (p2 of RG) say that:
Quote:
During an attack, in both a campaign and a skirmish, resolve
mission rules first, followed by effects triggered by the attacker,
then effects triggered by the defender.

Defeat of a Defender must be considered either a Mission Rule or something triggered by the Attacker in my opinion. Thus, it is triggered before Rage can trigger. After the Defeat is resolved, Rage is no longer present to be triggered.

So long story short, all ways I can read the rules seem to lead to the Defeat occurring before Rage is triggered and as the Defeat causes Rage to no longer exist, it can't be triggered any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.