Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl G
United Kingdom
Taunton, England
Somerset
flag msg tools
Hello all,

When I played this with a group the crisis cards were played as such:

Player A's turn to play a crisis card. They pick the card up. They decide in secret what they are going to do either the top part of the card to take it to the group or the other part of the card.

If player A choices the option to take the vote to the group they tell the group what colour cards are needed(e.g. red pilot cards and yellow cards) are needed. They have to tell the truth about this. They then can say whether the number needed is high low medium they are not allowed to say the exact number.

I want to check how everyone else is playing this?

If you need more clarity please let me know.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirKarlg wrote:
Hello all,

When I played this with a group the crisis cards were played as such:

Player A's turn to play a crisis card. They pick the card up. They decide in secret what they are going to do either the top part of the card to take it to the group or the other part of the card.

If player A choices the option to take the vote to the group they tell the group what colour cards are needed(e.g. red pilot cards and yellow cards) are needed. They have to tell the truth about this. They then can say whether the number needed is high low medium they are not allowed to say the exact number.

I want to check how everyone else is playing this?

If you need more clarity please let me know.

Thanks.

According to the rules, the first thing that happens is that the player draws the crisis and reads it aloud so everyone knows all the details before any decisions are made. The player does not keep anything about the card secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not correct- it sounds as if you've gotten the secrecy rules about what can be played into a crisis mixed up with the crisis itself.

When a crisis comes up on a player's turn, the crisis itself is public information. So, everyone should be able to see what the crisis is, what kind of crisis it is, what the impacts are, and so on.

The decisions that some crises have- for example, "current player chooses" or "admiral chooses" and so on- are decisions made by the specified player, but these choices are not made in secret.

Every player should know exactly what difficulty the skill check is (if there is one- for example, a Food Shortage does not have a skill check). When playing cards into a skill check, players ARE bound by secrecy rules (for example, when playing multiple cards in they may say low, medium, or high).

A crisis is only not public information when it is not actually in play as a crisis- for example, if someone scouts the crisis deck successfully, they may not tell anyone what it is (though if they do not send the card to the bottom of the deck, you will find out shortly...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the other players to know what the Pass and Fail (and Partial Pass) consequencies are?

If they don't know, how are they going to decide if they want to help in the check? If they do, then they in theory also know what the OR choice was.

In my opinion this is taking things too far, and can only be used if you are otherwise burned out on the game (and then why not buy expansions to spice things up instead). You are taking away big part of trying to determine who is acting unwisely for the human team, and being possibly a cylon.

It will also be awkward mechanically, and you are trusting that the player understands correctly what the consequencies are. No-one can correct their interpretation or check that the consequencies are performed correctly. (Everyone makes mistakes, even us, after 90+ games.)

If your problem is too much discussion about the options, there are other solutions to that. Like, not arguing them back and forth, but offering suggestions and rationales and then shutting up and letting the current player/president/admiral decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only cases where crisis cards are dabbled in secret is when Roslin's using her special ability to look at 2 of them and deciding which one to do, or when someone has the ability to look at the top card in secret and deciding on whether or not to bottom deck it, like Boomer's Recon, or anybody playing Launch Scout.

When it comes time to resolve a crisis card, that's always made public to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.